Japan Sales Thread

I don't understand why Sony always let this happen to them in Japan. Every time they add value (new pack-ins etc) or drop the price, they let the information out officially three weeks+ in advance, and every time buyers hold off, completely killing their hardware sales. As if they weren't low enough already.

If anything, Japan should have gotten the new version first before the rest of the world. If for no other reason then for the naturally much lower shipment delay from China.

Did Japan even get the firesale price on the old stock? Haven't seen confirmation on that. The 80GB version still goes for 39730 Yen on Amazon Japan, so probably not. Mind-boggling.

I don't understand why Sony always let this happen to them in Japan. Every time they add value (new pack-ins etc) or drop the price, they let the information out officially three weeks+ in advance, and every time buyers hold off, completely killing their hardware sales. As if they weren't low enough already.
On the flip side, when the hardware releases the spike is even bigger and more headline grabbing. I don't think it makes a huge difference.

Personally, I wonder why there was no price cut for existing PS3s. Apparently there's stands listing the PS3 at its old price right next to ads announcing the Slim for 10k yen less.

It's quite possible that some shops don't get compensated by Sony for lowering the price as happens with many smaller shops in the US.

Thus you have the odd situation where a shop can't afford or doesn't want to reduce the price below their cost for the product. And so you end up with older stock having a higher price than newer stock.

Happens quite often actually with smaller shops.

Larger shops that move lots of product can often get price relief from the major manufacturers when they officially lower prices on product.

Regards,
SB

If anything, Japan should have gotten the new version first before the rest of the world. If for no other reason then for the naturally much lower shipment delay from China.

Did Japan even get the firesale price on the old stock? Haven't seen confirmation on that. The 80GB version still goes for 39730 Yen on Amazon Japan, so probably not. Mind-boggling.

But can you imagine the uproar if it launched first in Japan and how would that effect the sales in the rest of the world when we know a new model is coming etc.

AS for the firesale, maybe its easier for Sony to controll the channel in Japan, ie make sure that stocks are depleted, before the new model arrive, compared to outside Japan.

While you don't want to announce a new form factor or price cut too soon. You do want to give some notice as I guess people who bought the PS3 within the last couple of weeks would have been absolutely pissed that a new form factor with a lower price would just appear on shelves shortly after.

In the long run a few weeks of slow sales don't matter.

That's life though. Everyone knows new, improved models get released, and price-drops happen. How many purchasers have you made where you've researched the product development cycle and upcoming changes? Your TV? Camcorder? Fridge? Electric toothbrush? Car? Car stereo? Hiking boots? LED torch? etc. ad infinitum! Same with software. I've bought games only for a deal or price-drop to happen weeks later. It happens -you win some, you lose some.

That's life though. Everyone knows new, improved models get released, and price-drops happen. How many purchasers have you made where you've researched the product development cycle and upcoming changes? Your TV? Camcorder? Fridge? Electric toothbrush? Car? Car stereo? Hiking boots? LED torch? etc. ad infinitum! Same with software. I've bought games only for a deal or price-drop to happen weeks later. It happens -you win some, you lose some.

Heh, yeah to this day I remember when I switched from Apple to PC in 1990. Bought my first 286 for 1200. 2 whole weeks later it was selling for 800. I never bought another PC again from that day forward, build and upgrade my own now.

Regards,
SB

ToV probably slowed the decline a little (sold over 200k). Wonder where it will level off until FFXIII / Holiday season. PS3 has a shot at beating the Wii YTD although I think Nintendo might still have the edge because of a new Mario, price drop and currently a ~100k lead. The FFXIII bundle might do wonders though.

PS3 is holding up way better than I expected. Although media create supposedly has it closer to 40k this week, thats still leaps and bounds above what they were doing or I expected. And no Tales bump this week.

Back