European Console Sales (2009 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
from nintendo the results for the first 9 months of the year for
UK,germany,france + spain Which according to them comprise 75-80% the total european sales
54l.jpg

11l.jpg

it seems even with the pricecut for the wii, it sold less than it did last year at the same time!!!

it seems even with the pricecut for the wii, it sold less than it did last year at the same time!!!

Because the vast majority of the people who wanted a Wii already have one I guess. I've heard plenty of people say that the PS3 was too expensive and they would get one when the price was right for them. Never heard that about the Wii.

Anybody know if an intrepid Gaffer worked out the sales for every week for each console by analyzing the graph down to the pixel level?

I know somebody did that last year, and it's much more interesting than just the graph.

Not seeing what's the problem there, and that author of the article is coming across as not having done any research at all. It's fairly common knowledge that MS and Sony provided numbers count different countries.

Sony generally includes all of EMEA + Australia. While MS usually only references PAL countries. Occasionally Europe, Middle East, and Africa. But does not lump Australia in with that.

What an idiot...

Regards,
SB

Anybody know if an intrepid Gaffer worked out the sales for every week for each console by analyzing the graph down to the pixel level?

I know somebody did that last year, and it's much more interesting than just the graph.
I just volunteered. I'm cross-posting this from GAF:

Marketshares from the second chart:
Code:
       2007    2008    2009
360    22.5    24.0    36.5
PS2    34.5    11.5     9.5
PS3    30.5    36.0    41.5
Wii    67.5    83.5    67.5

(all out of 155)

Counted the PS3 graph. Would have preferred using the Wii graph but it appears clipped (CW 1 is missing).
Code:
Did a bit of noise shaping, so the error margin should be quite good, let's say <=21 units (half a unit times 42 samples in the set).

Sum: 2009 -- fun coincidence, huh?

Each pixel unit is "worth" 180k/170 unit sales.
Long story short, combined with the marketshare counted from the second graph, these are the 2009 hardware YTDs through CW 42 in the UK, France, Germany and Spain:
Code:
      units   share
360   1.87M   23.5%
PS2   0.49M    6.1%
PS3   2.13M   26.8%
Wii   3.46M   43.6%

They're a few market share points or one or two million units within each other.

Meanwhile, Wii market share is tens of market share points or tens of millions of units higher.

Big picture.

They're a few market share points or one or two million units within each other.

Meanwhile, Wii market share is tens of market share points or tens of millions of units higher.

Big picture.

Big picture to me is that the market share that the PS3 and 360 are fighting for is, while smaller, still very significant. There's potentially an awful lot of money to be made on those 1 to 2 million units over the time each one of those consoles is in active use.

Of course they should try to maximize sales and profits.

It's the whole my sales are better than yours, no it's not exchange.

Of course they should try to maximize sales and profits.

It's the whole my sales are better than yours, no it's not exchange.

...while ignoring the pink elephant in the room.

Oh, that's different then. It's PR, of course it's silly. :p

Big picture to me is that the market share that the PS3 and 360 are fighting for is, while smaller, still very significant. There's potentially an awful lot of money to be made on those 1 to 2 million units over the time each one of those consoles is in active use.

Actually, the HD consoles combined (which I look at as one market) are at least equal to Wii, and have been pulling ahead lately.

In other words (PS3+360) market=>Wii market.

In other words (PS3+360) market=>Wii market.
Don't forget that the consumers spend more money per console and per game, and they buy online content.

Marketshare by revenue won't show Wii way in the lead. ATI and NVidia (and hell almost everyone) don't really care that Intel GMA is the marketshare leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back