All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW I would not call GTAV a remaster, I'd call it a staggered release.

I was actually thinking (rethinking) about that, after replying to SilentBuddha post. The PC/PS4/XB1 GTA V aren't really remastered titles, but an extended platform title.

the usual PS4 negative spin

55736061.jpg

Let’s see what you boys and girls purchased so far this month….

Amazon’s 100 Best Sellers for December (26th / 4:30 pm EST).
#1 XB1 Call of Duty: Black Ops III
#2 PlayStation Star Wars bundle
#3 PS4 Call of Duty: Black Ops III

#5 XB1 Fallout 4
#6 PS4 Fallout 4
#8 PSN Card

#10 XBL Card
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 10
#12 Xbox One Gears of War Bundle
#14 XB1 Star Wars Battlefront

#17 PS4 Star Wars Battlefront
#18 XB1 Halo 5: Guardians
#19 XB1 Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Steelbox Edition)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 20
#24 PS4 Assassins Creed Syndicate
#26 PS4 Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Steelbox Edition)
#27 PS4 Destiny: The Taken King (Legendary Edition)

#30 XB1 Forza 6
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 30
#31 XB1 Assassins Creed Syndicate
#32 PlayStation 4 Uncharted Collection Bundle
#33 XB1 Destiny: The Taken King
#34 PS4 NBA 2K16
#35 XB1 Minecraft
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 40
#43 XB1 Star Wars Battlefront (Steelbox Edition)
#45 PS4 Just Cause 3
#49 XB1 Just Cause 3
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 50
#51 PS4 Madden NFL 16 (Steelbox Edition)
#55 XB1 Raise of the Tomb Raider
#56 PS4 Star Wars Battlefront (Steelbox Edition)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 60
#63 XB1 Rainbow Six Siege
#66 XB1 Lego Dimensions

#67 PS4 Lego Dimensions
#69 PS4 Metal Gear Phantom Pain

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 70
#74 PS4 Minecraft
#75 XB1 Minecraft: Story Mode
#79 PS4 Rainbow Six Siege
#80 PS4 Uncharted Collection

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 80
#81 PS4 Grand Theft Auto 5
#84 XB1 Just Dance 2016
#86 PS4 Madden NFL 16
#87 PS4 FIFA 16 (Steelbox Edition)
#90 PS4 Need for Speed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 90
#91 XB1 Madden NFL 16
#92 PS4 Minecraft: Story Mode
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 100

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Let’s see what you boys and girls purchased so far this year….

Amazon’s 100 Best Sellers for 2015 (4:30 pm EST).
#1 PSN Card
#4 XBL Card
#5 PS4 Fallout 4
#7 XB1 Call of Duty: Black Ops III
#9 XB1 Fallout 4

#10 PS4 Call of Duty: Black Ops III
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 10
#12 PlayStation Plus (1yr Membership)
#13 Halo 5: Guardians
#14 PlayStation 4 Uncharted Collection Bundle
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 20
#25 Playstation 4 Star Wars Battlefront Bundle
#29 PS4 Bloodborne

#30 Xbox One Gears of War Bundle
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 30
#33 PS4 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
#35 PS4 Grand Theft Auto V

#38 XB1 Star Wars Battlefront
#40 PS4 Star Wars Battlefront
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 40
#41 PS4 Batman: Arkham Knight
#43 PS4 Madden NFL 16

#44 XB1 Minecraft
#45 PS4 FarCry 4
#46 PS4 Mortal Kombat X
#47 PS4 Star Wars Battlefront (Deluxe Edition)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 50
#51 PlayStation 4 Game System
#55 XB1 Madden NFL 16
#57 XB1 Star Wars Battlefront (Deluxe Edition)

#58 PS4 Assassins Creed: Syndicate
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 60
#62 PS4 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
#67 XB1 Grand Theft Auto V
#68 XB1 NBA 2K16

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 70
#72 PS4 Destiny
#74 Xbox One Assassins Creed Bundle
#78 XB1 Forza 6

#79 PS4 Destiny: The Taken King (Legendary Edition)
#80 PS4 FIFA 16

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 80
#83 PS4 Minecraft
#86 PS4 Uncharted Collection
#87 PS4 Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

#89 XB1 Assassins Creed: Syndicate
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 90
#91 XB1 Halo: Master Chief Collection
#98 XB1 Destiny: The Taken King (Legendary Edition)
#99 XB1 FarCry 4

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Top 100

I have a feeling they will discount it pretty soon after release. Remember that the biggest releases of the year ave already been discounted just before Xmas (for a limited time). Even fallout 4 is around half price on the psn (until today I think).

I'm not sure if they will or not. Square Enix aren't doing very well. FFXIV is bringing them money. Dragon Quest MMO as well. And then games for Smart Devices. Outside of that, not much else is.

They've already basically announced that they'll be releasing the next Hitman game unfinished ("a sizeable chunk" of the game will be available at launch). They charge extremely high prices for micro-transactions for FFXIV. They attempted a pre-order scheme with the next Deus Ex game that basically required you to put on a sales pitch to your friends if you wanted to get all the things AND you would need to pre-order multiple copies of the game. Thankfully due to the huge community backlash they've backed down on that. They can't even keep their games working on iOS (8 to 9 months for fixes to make games work whenever a new version of iOS comes out) despite having some of the highest prices for an iOS game.

Oh, and they are looking to move to an episodic release model for some of their future games.

Also if you look at their latest financial report (6 months ending Sept. 30), their only segments with growth are PC (MMO) and Games for smart devices. The HD segment (console games) are seeing anemic sales which was compounded by no significant release. In fact the report for the 3 months ending June 30th mentioned lower sales for console games than the year previous.

Their report for the 2015 makes no significant note of console sales (not an area of growth). But strong growth for PC (MMO) and Smart devices. Their forward looking statements in this report mentions expectations for strong growth in PC and Smart Devices while consoles were obfuscated behind language indication markets that were "increasingly competitive and oligopolistic" (in other words they do not expect to be able to compete well in the console market going forward).

Basically, the company continues to be able to stay in business and fund new games mostly due to PC (MMO) and Smart Devices. Console games are currently a drain on company resources without significant expectations for a turn around in console games fortunes. Hence why Square Enix are investigating methods to ameliorate the risk of console game development (this also would include non-MMO PC games) such as partnering with another company (Microsoft for Tomb Raider), releasing unfinished games (the next Hitman), or trying their hand at episodic releases for games.

But at least Square Enix aren't currently in danger of going out of business. They are still decently profitable due to MMO's and games for smart devices. It's just that they have to budget their money smartly to remain profitable. Hence MMO's get very good funding. Smart devices are getting decent funding. Console (non-MMO) development is seeing management look for ways to reduce development costs.

Regards,
SB

Why not the full list? What is number 2?

Whenever I, or others do the Amazon Best Sellers Lists, we usually dwindled it down to the most relevant things (systems rankings, games rankings, gift cards rankings, etc....) dealing with this generation of gaming. Also, repeats such as the PSN/XB1 store gift cards don't need to be listed every single time.

And yes, spot two and three are PSN cards.

Last edited:
http://www.liberation.fr/futurs/2015/12/22/sony-ou-microsoft-un-duel-plie-avant-noel_1422499

Some number from GFK first week of Rise of the Tomb Raider number is 26000 in France.

That's not bad. From France...

IMO they shouldn't have delayed PS4 version at all though. I cant recall a year late port selling. But 6 months seems more reasonable. Wasn't Mass Effect a 6 monther? They said they wanted to escape a similar themed title releasing in Spring Uncharted 4, but I still disagree with that decision.

But I guess it also depends if Sony has any big fall exclusives this year (I dont know their schedule).If they dont than that's better for TR PS4 in the fall (but I still would have stuck to Spring).

But, PC should be able to garner some sales as well.

I know I know, it's not possible for a Playstation exclusive to sell poorly (even though Yoshida himself said 6-7/10 of them lose money). http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/07...ke-money-but-sony-will-always-support-talent/

I don't recall people arguing that Playstation exclusives sell well, I believe the argument has been Xbox fans pointing to weaker sales relative to Xbox titles like Halo and Gears as proof that Sony first party titles are not any good. To which some Sony fans have (rightly) have said sales don't equal quality. I don't think there is much argument over which platform has garnered better commercial success in terms of first party software sales, the actual question of quality is much more difficult to discuss rationally.

Edit:

I've purchased all the Halo games thru Reach and enjoyed them as I've enjoyed all the Killzone titles on PS3 and Vita. I also bought Gears, Gears 2 and Gears 3 but never finished the third one. Sony first party titles other than God of War and Resistance 2 I've enjoyed equally as well as MS's biggest offerings even if its for different reasons. I have not played KZ on PS4 or the new Halo on XB1 though....

I know I know, it's not possible for a Playstation exclusive to sell poorly (even though Yoshida himself said 6-7/10 of them lose money). http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/07...ke-money-but-sony-will-always-support-talent/

I never said that, I'm simply saying that all you ever do is try to find an ounce of PS4 negativity (or spin something into a negativity) and bang on about it like PS4 is failing in some way...conversely for Xbox you'll find the positive spin.

That's not bad. From France...

yep. that positive XBO spin...the article is saying how poor the figures are compared to the last game yet you think that's not bad.

Can't help feeling that we're seeing the continued erosion of the Halo franchise.

I nearly bought an X1 for it, but then wavered (343 and all that) and now it's just faded off the "need" list. Can't help wondering if in addition to 343's issue, MS's desire to spread the universe over TV, movies, cartoons, comics etc has taken the focus off the campaign.

Why's everyone hating on Rangers in here at the moment? He's just doing what everyone else does when they talk about their favoured machine.

He's one of the more respected voices on this forum.
I am bored to check the arguments that came before this post, I dont know what he said, but saying how much you love your machine and your games is one thing. Saying how bad any other machine and its games are without having any arguments to support the statement is another.

I owned both consoles last gen, and I loved my PS3 exclusives more knowing that they didnt perform as well in sales as some of my 360 exclusives. I wouldnt go saying that Gears was mediocre and overrated while Uncharted was underrated to support my preference.

But I have to admit that PS's first party exclusives were always kinda niche games that never had the same appeal as its third (or even second) party exclusives.
Tearaway, ICO, Shadow of the Collosus, Syphon Filter, Primal, Rib Ribbon, Puppeteer, Wipeout, Rachet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Siren, Killzone etc all had something very special, groundbreaking some of them were very experimental. Some of them were ace some of them were simply unique but not necessarily setting the floor on fire. Some of them even left a strong mark. Yet they arent the type of games that would sell to the mass market. They were never expected to.
Mario games are the only platform games that can sell in record numbers. Besides he is the mickey mouse of the VG world. No matter how good other platform games will be, they simply dont have the same recognition as Mario games.

Games like Halo (before this generation) and Gears were games with much bigger potential to gain mass appeal. Halo was a game changer in a genre that was already popular. Gears was too for the third person shooters, another very popular genre. It had groundbreaking visuals and a cover based system that was missing from the genre in ages. It focused in the elements that mattered most. It was direct, simple and memorable. It also catered to the "bro" bad ass action that we so much got used to from Hollywood.

Uncharted on the other hand was not that game. Not out of error, but out of choice to bring a different experience which added a form of extra complexity. Whereas Gears focused on boombastic action, violence and punchy weapons, Uncharted was a game with platforming, puzzles on top of shooting. Uncharted was a game that touched the aged Indiana Jones adventure. It no longer appeals as much, not because its out dated, but because the mass market is better conditioned to the other formula that Gears followed succesfully

Why's everyone hating on Rangers in here at the moment? He's just doing what everyone else does when they talk about their favoured machine.

He's one of the more respected voices on this forum.

It's because his bias doesn't align with theirs. The biases of others are most bothersome to those who have biases in the opposite direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back