NPD June 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sales numbers are like this (might be a bit wrong with some)
Resistance 2-2.5 million
KZ1 2.5 million
MGS3 3 million
GOW 2-3 million

Gears of War 5.5 million

Not to mention the still substantial difference in hardware sales. Since Japan isn't really important for western titles, it looks like this:
X360 19-19.5 million
PS3 11.5-12 million

MGS4 moved what, 200K units in the US maybe? And those were the last of the backwards compatible PS3s, do not forget that either. And some people called Halo3's performance lackluster, so just what is the magic number then?

You have a point but because these games may not appeal as much as GoW or Halo, it doesnt mean that their own appeal is not strong enough to consider them strong projects that help in the company's overall strategy.

Some consoles may have one or two games per year that generate incredible sales like Halo or GoW, but some can also have many AAA titles that although do not generate just as big sales, they still generate millions while building a library with variety that appeal to various audiences.

You cant just rule out a good game simply because it doesnt perform as high as the "upper crusts".

Regarding MGS4 didnt it move more based on the latest NPD sales? I ve read somewhere that it also moved more than a million already only in EU.

The US market isnt the number 1 market on which we can conclude the health of the PS3 or its software sales. We should also see what these titles do in other markets.

Again, X360 has its range of exclusive AAA titles, let us not forget about Fable 2, Too Human, Forza 3, Alan Wake and the rest. But I don't consider those system sellers either.

But the point was that these titles are not enough to make the PS3 look better than the X360. They don't have the wide appeal, they're not all system sellers, they're not the reason MS should be worried. Their problem is not software at this time, its the price of the hardware.
And in the future, please respond to my original arguments instead of nitpicking on details.

And I've been talking about how much hardware MGS4 helped to move. A ~200K increase isn't such a big deal, and as I've said there may also be the fact that this is the last PS2 compatible SKU of the PS3.

Ya, about double the average. Considering the PS3's price was $400-$500 and the 360 was $350 during Halo 3 that's pretty impressive no?

The point is, either MGS4's effect is just as impressive as Halo3's; or neither of them are impressive at all.

Me, I'm thining that none of these are comparable to what GTA3 or GT4 did. There aren't any system sellers nowadays, or the prices are too high.

Oh you meant 200k increase in hardware sales with MGS4? I thought you were refering to software units. :oops:

I doubt they are all system sellers if we take them individually. But when you take them as a whole, as a group of titles that improve the library they do increase sales or at least secure the trend of sales.

Both have their range of exclusive titles (didnt say otherwise) but I think at least some titles that have already created a fame of their own and proved their selves may help sales, such as God of War.

Time will tell.

The point is, either MGS4's effect is just as impressive as Halo3's; or neither of them are impressive at all.

Me, I'm thining that none of these are comparable to what GTA3 or GT4 did. There aren't any system sellers nowadays, or the prices are too high.

Ok, I misunderstood then. I agree they had a similar affect. The bottom line is nothing is going to move a $300+ console much after the initial hardcore buyers have all bought one. Both consoles need to get smaller and cheaper fast.

God of War sold to ~2% of the PS2 userbase... hardcore gamers care about it, but most of them already own the console. And the rest will buy it as well before it's released.

Last year after Peter Moore's departure, I was not sure if MS has a strategy at all for going forward. Many of the games coming this year, be it Too Human, be it Fable 2, we all know them way before at his tenure (2006). The only new game we learned this year is GeoW2, but I guess it is no surprise to anyone and its existence is also a no-brainer.

However, after seeing the press-conf, I now believe they have a strategy at least moving the console beyond the hard-core audience and we will see if it is gonna be successful or not. I still think they did not show everything last week. They started the buzz by new and a lot more familiy friendly dashboard, new causal games and Netflix. They will probably start to introduce other elements (motion-sensor controller) sometime in August and September, and make a price-cut when the time is right, which is when the games/new dashboard and the controllers come to the market. The 20 gig model is already 300$ now. Do they need to announce anything further before these models are depleted?

Btw, there is an interview with John Schappert at GTTV. Although it is boring mostly, there are two things that are really interesting. Geoffery asked about two things that are not annouced at E3. The first one is the motion-sensor controller. He said "we are a hardware company and always work on new things" and did not deny existence of it. The second one is more interesting. Although Shane Kim totally denies any activity on this, he did not deny existence of a Bluray 360: I am not saying he acknowledged its existence either, but despite Geoffrey asked many times repeatedly, once quiet forcefully with "can you say that no Bluray equiped 360 is coming to market?", he did not say "no Bluray 360 is coming". He merely states "downloadable content is future" again, but not denying is I guess a good indicator that something is cooking about that one.

This fall is certainly going to be an interesting one.

You'd have to also take into account the price difference. There's been a $50 price drop in 2.5years with the common sku sitting at $349 (as of June NPD).

Someone who recalls Xbox 1 price history can probably tell us more about how quickly the first Xbox dropped.

Microsoft dropped the Xbox price from $300 to $200 on May 17, 2002. About 7 months after it released. It's next price was to $180 on May 15, 2003. That following Christmas they included Sega GT 2002 and Jet Set Radio Future for the same price. It then dropped to $150 on March 29, 2004. I don't think it included a game at that price. It never got any cheaper either, but I think it's last holiday season(2006) they did ship the last systems with Forza bundle for $180.

Do you think it is a joke you have to pay $50 more because it had Blu-Ray or do you think it´s a joke that it is so cheap?

You forgot the free online btw.

You forgot that you have buy component or HDMI cables and a headset, but that's just nitpicking. Each system has their value adds. Depends on what you want.

Tommy McClain

His last comment makes me question even more the arcade pack...
Time to stop it.

Personally I think they need to keep it. It will be their quickest way to get to the magical $199 price point. I think the people who keep saying drop it are NOT the type of people it's targeted at. Almost everybody on here are hard-core gamers and as such are not the intended target for the Arcade SKU.

Tommy McClain

Last edited by a moderator:
His last comment makes me question even more the arcade pack...
Time to stop it.

Now that they're offering a $100 "HDD + Live" upgrade pack for the arcade, I think that the arcade makes even more sense to keep around. They need to drop its price ASAP. Get people hooked on the 360 who are unwilling to pay more than $200. Then turn them into profitable Live customers through the upgrade pack.

There's nothing to be gained from dropping the arcade pack. They would still have to support it, because there's more than a million of them out there.

As for a blu-ray add on, how many people would pay $150 to $200 for one? As many as paid for the HD DVD drive? You think MS made money on that? I don't see how blu-ray makes any sense for MS.

As much as I didn't want the arcade, I have a friend that's perfectly happy with one. He doesn't care about the dlc for GTA or Fallout3. He doesn't play online games. He doesn't care about installing to disc. He doesn't care about using it as a media center. All he cares about is playing the games, so saving to a memory card is enough. I'm sure there are quite a few people that fit that description, even if they are a minority. Most people will want the pro, I'd think, but if there's a million people or more that want to save themselves some money by buying a console without storage, then why not sell it to them?

God of War sold to ~2% of the PS2 userbase... hardcore gamers care about it, but most of them already own the console. And the rest will buy it as well before it's released.

The PS3 had more than 90 million owners and GoD was a new game released during its last years.

2% is a very good number.

As much as I didn't want the arcade, I have a friend that's perfectly happy with one. He doesn't care about the dlc for GTA or Fallout3. He doesn't play online games. He doesn't care about installing to disc. He doesn't care about using it as a media center. All he cares about is playing the games, so saving to a memory card is enough. I'm sure there are quite a few people that fit that description, even if they are a minority. Most people will want the pro, I'd think, but if there's a million people or more that want to save themselves some money by buying a console without storage, then why not sell it to them?

I think that there is a massive market for consumers that show no interest in the abilities you mentioned. It simply is the issues of the Arcade pack not being properly/aggressively priced, viewed as the inferior sku, and not as appealing as the Wii.

I think that there is a massive market for consumers that show no interest in the abilities you mentioned. It simply is the issues of the Arcade pack not being properly/aggressively priced, viewed as the inferior sku, and not as appealing as the Wii.

That's probably true. I haven't checked prices in a while. I was just stating my disagreement with people that say the arcade should be discontinued. Not everyone is an enthusiast that needs all of the extra features.

My only complaint about the 360 skus is that you have to buy the wifi adapter. It should be included in the unit.

There's nothing to be gained from dropping the arcade pack. They would still have to support it, because there's more than a million of them out there.

As for a blu-ray add on, how many people would pay $150 to $200 for one? As many as paid for the HD DVD drive? You think MS made money on that? I don't see how blu-ray makes any sense for MS.

To stop PS3's momentum? If you have already own a 360, would you shell out 400$ for PS3 or spend another 150$ on MS platform? Even if MS does not gain anything from it financilally, this prevents their userbase to get a PS3 early on (I said early-on because anyone who think him/herself gamer should get both consoles when they hit 200$. There are always going to be excellent exclusive games on both platform).

Back and forth posts containing just 1-3 lines isn't the kind of behaviour I expect on this forum, people.

Thankfully we have moderators who will happily (well, maybe angrily) prune this topic, eh? Eh? ;)

Seriously people, this is a forum for grown ups. Make a deliberately thought out post with decent arguments, or don't post.

You don't need to write an essay to get a point across. Obviously this is all mostly off topic, but this is a week old NPD thread, there's not much left to talk about regarding the numbers. If the mods want to close it they can go ahead for all I care, no one has said anything on topic in about 5 pages. So its not like anyone is drowning out signal here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back