NPD June 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang! Forgot about Ethernet. That's why my wireless network has higher Pings on Warhawk! Must get loan. Must get high quality cables...

Agree 100%. What HD TV doesn't have component input? What SD TV (excluding those made aaaaaaages ago) doesn't have have composite input?

The components cables would be useless to me, but hey, everyone here knows better anyway so. Best idea so far would be no cables but i would add a free choice of one complete set.

Dang! Forgot about Ethernet. That's why my wireless network has higher Pings on Warhawk! Must get loan. Must get high quality cables...

May i suggest getting some Wireless N instead? ;-)

Btw, i got that 15 meter cable, in another color from another company, paid the same price the game shops want for a 3 meter :)

of course... it's a no brainer... just last week I had to explain to a friend that his PS3 (2mos old) was not in HiDef with "those little yellow red and white cables that came with it" he was using. :LOL:

I played MGS4 all in SD on a 47 inch HDTV. My wife bought my PS3 along with a new copy of MGS4. I look in and the around the box for like 5 minutes looking for at least some HD component cables. I opened up the manual to see what comes with the 40gb and it shows the HDMI and HD component coming seperately. I was dumbfounded.

I was truly flabergasted that a $400 HD console that moonlights as one of the best BluRay players around doesn't come capable of HD output out the box.

MGS4 still looked beautiful in SD and makes me wonder what could be done by a PS3 or 360 if HD wasn't an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love people that spend up to $200 on "good" hdmi cables.

It's not that they want to but the sales pitch is "if you don't get this cable, you're not getting real HD!" I see it often at B&M shops where companies like Monster cable brainwash employees through training into believing such garbage. Here's the best one I've heard though:

"You need this cable for your 120hz TV. This cable is specifically designed just to pass the 120hz signal to the TV or it won't look as good or work right."

The top 5 things that annoy me in the CE industry the most:
1. Bullshit contrast ratios. Ofcourse putting the actual measured CR from a calibrated ratio would make MANY sets pitiful.
2. Frame interpolation demos (where movies look retarded trying to simulate the video look)
3. Dynamic/Vivid mode being passed off as this is what HD is suppose to look like
4. Bose
5. Monster Cable

Whats wrong with Bose? While i remember it was rather expensive they did have rather impressive sound considering the size of the speakers.

IANAA, but as I understand it, Bose sound is heavily manipulated and 'cleaned', and that is sold as the 'real' super-quality sound.

I agree with Scott... slightly off-topic.

But, since we're already there.. I had 'wave guides' (also known as horns) in my car that won IASCA in 96 or so. The sound dispersion and frequency response from wave guide tech simply can't be matched by conventional speakers.

It's the same tech that Bose uses to achieve 'big sound from a little box'.

Now, I'm only referring to their waveguide tech. Their standard speakers are usually just a stylistic overpriced product.

Microsoft needs a price cut...maybe that will get this thing back on track.

Primary reason they need a cut is because I need to buy two more. One is going to a friend ;) the other is going to my son since I sold his some weeks ago, but I am actually looking for a price cut on the Arcade since he already has a 120GB. I'm trying to decide if I should hold out and wait to see if the new 60GB are in fact new designs, then he can have mine and I would purchase the newer unit then I can finally feel secure in moving over all of my media licenses to the new box.

Whats wrong with Bose? While i remember it was rather expensive they did have rather impressive sound considering the size of the speakers.

Bose switched to low quality parts like cardboard drivers several years back. They also alter the sound coming into most systems and then claim it is "true" sound. Because of their size, they have to play tricks to attain certain sounds so you lose the meat behind it.

Simply put, most audiophiles will tell you Bose speakers are for people concerned primarily with home decor. For their size, they aren't a bad product. However if you are looking for a sound system, buy something else.

Bose switched to low quality parts like cardboard drivers several years back. They also alter the sound coming into most systems and then claim it is "true" sound. Because of their size, they have to play tricks to attain certain sounds so you lose the meat behind it.

Simply put, most audiophiles will tell you Bose speakers are for people concerned primarily with home decor. For their size, they aren't a bad product. However if you are looking for a sound system, buy something else.

Well put, I might only add For their size, they aren't a bad product, but overpriced.

Back in the 70/80´s they made the 901. Interesting concept and i think one , if not the only interesting speaker they ever made. The rest has little to do with HiFi and more with sound manipulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back