NPD June 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
You forgot that you have buy component or HDMI cables and a headset, but that's just nitpicking. Each system has their value adds. Depends on what you want.

Tommy McClain

Absolutely true, i lost track of the XBOX includes all that now and a true optical output?, the last time i messed around with it was when a friend bought the Halo Edition for mass effect, he had some challenges with HDMI and Optical sound.

Absolutely true, i lost track of the XBOX includes all that now and a true optical output?, the last time i messed around with it was when a friend bought the Halo Edition for mass effect, he had some challenges with HDMI and Optical sound.

it allways had a true optical output , on the older models it was built into the component / compsite cables . With the new ones it has its own port in the back of the console.

The elite comes with a 120 gig hardrive , hdmi cable , 15 foot ethernet cable and a head set and component / composite cables

The pro comes with a 20 gig hardrive , head set , 15 foot ethernet cable , component / composite cables and a head set ... and hexus on the hardrive .

The arcade comes with a 256 meg memory card , 5 free arcade titles , and composite cables .

Really except for the arcade unit they come with some really good stuff . The arcade really needs better cables

it allways had a true optical output , on the older models it was built into the component / compsite cables . With the new ones it has its own port in the back of the console.

The elite comes with a 120 gig hardrive , hdmi cable , 15 foot ethernet cable and a head set and component / composite cables

The pro comes with a 20 gig hardrive , head set , 15 foot ethernet cable , component / composite cables and a head set ... and hexus on the hardrive .

The arcade comes with a 256 meg memory card , 5 free arcade titles , and composite cables .

Really except for the arcade unit they come with some really good stuff . The arcade really needs better cables

What model has the port on the box?

I know the elite comes with the dongle to allow HDMI and 5.1, the rest don't have it and the add-on cost $45.

I know the elite comes with the dongle to allow HDMI and 5.1, the rest don't have it and the add-on cost $45.

You don´t have to pay $45 my found a diy guide on the internet. But incredible sucky design, he got pretty mad when he got home with his Halo edition and wanted to play mass effect :)

Just to nitpick, the elite comes a component cable that has an optical out built-in. HDMI is a port on the console (you also get an HDMI cable). I assume the new consoles with HDMI also come with a port on the machine (but last I heard, no cable).

There's nothing to be gained from dropping the arcade pack. They would still have to support it, because there's more than a million of them out there.

I think the Arcade is actually growing in importance. I saw an interesting interview with an Australian MS figure recently where he stated Arcade and Pro sku sell "neck and neck" in that region, but with a new price drop they expected the Arcade to be their top seller going forward. The Arcade has always allegedly been more popular in some areas of Europe as well (in fact one thing I've heard was that it was that the HDDless 360 sku was always at least partially created for "price conscious" areas of Europe). Also Shane Kim said Arcade sales have grown to be significant in a recent E3 interview, although as always with that kind of wording he could be just blowing smoke.

The next price drop will be interesting to me, because the Arcade price will be getting pretty low, lets say its 50 across the board, then the Arcade 360 would presumably be 229.99. You're starting to get into hard to ignore mass market or so called impulse purchase points there and I wonder if it Arcade begin to surge.

I've never understood why a HDDless sku is intrinsically shunned, if you aren't online, in fact if you aren't further a regular user of online content, and gee with the Wii and all dont we keep hearing about how hardcore is bad, there's not any point to the HDD, it then becomes a glorified memory card (this is always how I felt about the HDD in my Xbox 1, because thats all I essentially used it for). As 360 reaches into more casual points, it seems to make more and more sense.

All optical outs have ALWAYS been on a cable. They are not included on the machine. Elite's come with a special dongle cable that gives you L/R RCA or optical out when you're using the HDMI cable. As D3B mentioned this dongle and a HDMI cable from Microsoft cost about $45. All the other SKUs do not have it(including the Halo Edition). If you don't use the included HDMI cable, then you can use the included component cable with optical out on the cable. The Pro and Halo Editions come just with a component cable, just like on the Elite. The Arcade and Core editions just come with composite cables, no optical out at all.

Tommy McClain

You don´t have to pay $45 my found a diy guide on the internet. But incredible sucky design, he got pretty mad when he got home with his Halo edition and wanted to play mass effect :)
Just imagine how mad he would have been coming home with a PS3 and having to play it in SD ;)

Just imagine how mad he would have been coming home with a PS3 and having to play it in SD ;)

Hahaha, well he had the HDMI cable and the Optical Cable from the PS3, thats why he was angry when he brought home the 360 :)

But you have a point, why put cables from the PS1 in the PS3? :)

They shouldn't include cables for either system IMO. Put it in the box and you most likely put the wrong one and wasted money, put them all in and you waste money. Even if you put the right ones and got lucky, the length could be wrong. Just say "audio/video cables not included" and let them find the one that works. Hell most printers don't even come with a USB cable.

They shouldn't include cables for either system IMO. Put it in the box and you most likely put the wrong one and wasted money, put them all in and you waste money. Even if you put the right ones and got lucky, the length could be wrong. Just say "audio/video cables not included" and let them find the one that works. Hell most printers don't even come with a USB cable.

Well, they need to include some sort of adapter, even if it's just a dongle you plug RCA cables into. HDMI is standard, but otherwise each console has their own little proprietary little plug back there.

I dunno, I like the 360's method of including a Component + Composite cable in one, that's guaranteed to work on nearly every TV on the market.

And then if you want to shell out extra for a digital connection like VGA or HDMI that's your choice.

I dunno, I like the 360's method of including a Component + Composite cable in one, that's guaranteed to work on nearly every TV on the market.

And then if you want to shell out extra for a digital connection like VGA or HDMI that's your choice.
Agree 100%. What HD TV doesn't have component input? What SD TV (excluding those made aaaaaaages ago) doesn't have have composite input?

Agree 100%. What HD TV doesn't have component input? What SD TV (excluding those made aaaaaaages ago) doesn't have have composite input?

of course... it's a no brainer... just last week I had to explain to a friend that his PS3 (2mos old) was not in HiDef with "those little yellow red and white cables that came with it" he was using. :LOL:

The ironic thing tho is that despite the lack of bundled digital cables, there's a following of AV enthusiasts who've bought the PS3, mainly for Blu-Ray playback.

The ironic thing tho is that despite the lack of bundled digital cables, there's a following of AV enthusiasts who've bought the PS3, mainly for Blu-Ray playback.

ab enthusiasts most likely know of mono cable and other websites selling cheap but quality hdmi cables

ab enthusiasts most likely know of mono cable and other websites selling cheap but quality hdmi cables
or at least know there is a difference between composite and component/hdmi :p

most consumers do not know although it is geting better

Up to $200? That's cheap and nasty! You'll get serious picture degradation, noise, more blocking artefacts from compressed videos, and hums and whines on the audio. You can't overestimate the importance of a good cable. That's why I bought this for my PS3. :yep2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back