Japan Sales Thread

Awesome. Who would have thought Sony and Nintendo would be so close on both fronts! And then that PSP would beat the DS and the Wii the PS3 ... Practically nothing between them though either way.

I have a hard time understanding how you view these numbers as "awesome". Other than the PSP will any other hardware sku match last years numbers? :???:

The Wii spike is odd though as I don't see any new games pushing it. Did they release a new color of the console or something?

It's a seasonal thing, if I remember correctly. Like how the Wii spikes around Christmas in the U.S. When did the Japanese get that yearly bonus again?

Yeah but if it's a seasonal thing you'd expect to see them all boost evenly relative to previous sales while the Wii has had a disproportional boost. I know it's cheaper but that doesn't really seem like the sole reason.

Yeah but if it's a seasonal thing you'd expect to see them all boost evenly relative to previous sales while the Wii has had a disproportional boost. I know it's cheaper but that doesn't really seem like the sole reason.

No, but the demographic for Wii being different is the reason why it peaks seasonally. It was the same last year, also in the West (wasn't it like 2m during Christmas even just in the December NPDs when otherwise 2009 was already a year of decline for Wii?).

I have a hard time understanding how you view these numbers as "awesome". Other than the PSP will any other hardware sku match last years numbers? :???:

Well, both Wii and PS3 have an outside shot at matching or coming very close to last years numbers.

Certainly a better chance of doing that in Japan than they have of doing that in the US where only X360 looks like it'll have a better 2010 than 2009. And Wii especially looking like it's going to be quite far down.

Regards,
SB

Well, both Wii and PS3 have an outside shot at matching or coming very close to last years numbers.

Certainly a better chance of doing that in Japan than they have of doing that in the US where only X360 looks like it'll have a better 2010 than 2009. And Wii especially looking like it's going to be quite far down.

Regards,
SB

Seriously? :???: There wasn't even an outside shot that the PS3 was going to match last years numbers because last year had Final Fantasy which launched week 51 shifting 237k PS3s and the PS3 moved 110k in week 52 off the back of 13's second week. The Wii did get a week 52 bump last year but you aren't under the impression it is going to do 400k next week are you?

The links to prior years and weeks are right in Teasys post its not like we don't have historical numbers...and being in the Japanese Numbers thread I'm only naturally referring to the Japanese numbers.

Seriously? :???: There wasn't even an outside shot that the PS3 was going to match last years numbers because last year had Final Fantasy which launched week 51 shifting 237k PS3s and the PS3 moved 110k in week 52 off the back of 13's second week. The Wii did get a week 52 bump last year but you aren't under the impression it is going to do 400k next week are you?

The links to prior years and weeks are right in Teasys post its not like we don't have historical numbers...and being in the Japanese Numbers thread I'm only naturally referring to the Japanese numbers.

400k? Wii is only ~150k behind last year and it did ~131.7k last week. PS3 is ~144.3k behind last year and did ~64k last week.

So both have a chance still to either be VERY close to last years sales with Wii having a fair chance to match it.

[edit] Oh wait, I see where I got the number's wrong. The last sales chart isn't ALL of last year. Ah, ok so probably won't match for either one, but there's still a chance Wii will get close.

Regards,
SB

Well, Japan, either you are awaiting all new machines or...I'm not sure what the or is but Japan is on a "massive" decline. :???:

through week 5

Code:
_____________________________________________________________________________________            
|System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year |        YTD |   Last YTD |         LTD |            
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------            
|  PSP  |    30.611 |    34.928 |    44.901 |    165.228 |    370.838 |  16.815.436 |      
|  PS3  |    23.846 |    25.149 |    25.450 |    165.589 |    183.594 |   6.253.079 |      
|  NDS  |    22.565 |    22.561 |    52.606 |    187.306 |    338.211 |  32.338.004 |      
|  WII  |    14.972 |    19.448 |    36.149 |    126.805 |    257.746 |  11.406.442 |      
|  360  |     2.282 |     3.513 |     3.651 |     14.628 |     21.166 |   1.435.126 |      
|  PS2  |     1.897 |     1.938 |     2.047 |      9.847 |     11.989 |  21.705.943 |      
|  3DS  |         0 |         0 |         0 |          0 |          0 |           0 |      
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------            
|  ALL  |    96.173 |   107.537 |   164.804 |    [B]669.403[/B] |  [B]1.183.544[/B] |  89.954.030 |      
| DSiLL |    11.555 |    11.891 |    28.080 |     96.740 |    162.641 |   2.044.322 |      
|  DSi  |     9.954 |     9.611 |    19.116 |     80.457 |    141.742 |   5.624.184 |      
|  DSL  |     1.056 |     1.059 |     5.410 |     10.109 |     33.828 |  18.084.027 |      
|  PSP  |    30.475 |    34.648 |    43.163 |    159.322 |    360.815 |  16.649.106 |      
| PSPgo |       136 |       280 |     1.738 |      5.906 |     10.023 |     166.330 |      

Interesting that PS3 hardware is holding up pretty well, but still trending slightly down YoY for the 2nd year in a row.

I'm just trying to guess at what point the PS3 has irrevocably "peaked" in Japan (remember we are dealing with consoles 4+ years old now, so it's a fair question). The question is if price drops would one day be able to rebound it past it's previous highs.

And for important software, what is left for Japan/PS3? A couple final fantasy spinoffs? I cant think of anything huge...

It's not unfeasible to think that cross platform play with NGP might help PS3 sales in Japan, and only in Japan.

I'd be interested in why you think that. Don't take that to mean I disagree because I haven't followed NGP since announcement day, I would think that the people would simply be interested in the portable and not necessarily the combination of the two. I really am only looking for you to expound because it would be interesting to see an uptick that would be excellent for Sony.

Interesting that PS3 hardware is holding up pretty well, but still trending slightly down YoY for the 2nd year in a row.

I'm just trying to guess at what point the PS3 has irrevocably "peaked" in Japan (remember we are dealing with consoles 4+ years old now, so it's a fair question). The question is if price drops would one day be able to rebound it past it's previous highs.

And for important software, what is left for Japan/PS3? A couple final fantasy spinoffs? I cant think of anything huge...

I was actually wondering the same thing because the PS3 when competing against itself YOY will be interesting as we get further along in the year. Microsoft had better hope for something because paltry would be polite for their numbers. Wii, I'm not sure what Nintendo has that will spark interest either but I don't keep up with J-releases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I was talking about the PS3 but it's actually the only one holding up well compared to everything else, hardware wise. 360 seems about done I guess. I guess this shows why NGP and 3DS are here, huge dropoffs in all non PS3 hardware.

But PS3 software has been really bad lately, usually 1-3 and sometimes even no titles in the top 20.

I'd be interested in why you think that. Don't take that to mean I disagree because I haven't followed NGP since announcement day, I would think that the people would simply be interested in the portable and not necessarily the combination of the two. I really am only looking for you to expound because it would be interesting to see an uptick that would be excellent for Sony.
Playing games at home with a big screen is a better experience than a handheld, and I'm sure people were able to seamlessly continue their games on the NGP and PS3, it'd be a factor in improving PS3 sales. They could also put bonus levels or features in an NGP game that is only accessible via a PS3 to spur sales.

Back