Japan Sales Thread

The sales rate for the PS3 is extremely solid now. Five (¿six?) weeks above 35K, with the explosion of week one after price drop+slim launch (150k), and several weeks around 50K.

It even keeps the pace without the release of big titles (Tales of and Gundam, but nothing else). So there was a group of users waiting for an attractive HD product at a good price, but the stability of the sales surprises me.

The sales aren't solid yet, they've dropped every single week since the sales spike 5 weeks ago. The drop is slowing down as the sales come closer to a normal level but its not there yet.

The sales aren't solid yet, they've dropped every single week since the sales spike 5 weeks ago. The drop is slowing down as the sales come closer to a normal level but its not there yet.

39k to 37k might hint at stability, if we use MC numbers. If we use Famitsu (like we probably should) then there's more room for it to fall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isn't this pretty much expected result, especially this time of the year? There most likely will be a new spike for christmas and final fantasy.

What remains to be seen early next year is if there will be more positive momentum for ps3 that would make the normal sales level higher. I assume if the new people buying into ps3 platform are happy with purchase that would create positive buzz and perhaps some kind of snowball effect.

39k to 37k might hint at stability, if we use MC numbers. If we use Famitsu (like we probably should) then there's more room for it to fall.

As I said it hints at the sales getting closer to stability.

Isn't this pretty much expected result, especially this time of the year? There most likely will be a new spike for christmas and final fantasy.

I expected a spike in sales followed by a consistent drop back down to between 20-30k a week, so yes its expected IMO. Just saying the numbers can't be considered as solid/stable until they are no longer consistently falling.

M-Create 19-25:
DSi 42,199
PSP 32,865
PS3 29,977
Wii 25,917
DS Lite 6,550
Xbox 360 4,470
PS2 1,951

Previous two weeks, the PS3 was just over 30k, so it seems to be very close to leveling off. Wii sales have dropped a little faster since the price cut.

12-18:
PS3 30,231
WII 29,965

5-11:
PS3 30,896
WII 30,741

Quite possible that PS3 will level off above Wii, and I would expect it to maintain that lead. Not really seeing much from Wii that will re-ignite the fad status that it had for quite a while.

And with FF coming soon, that's going to be another hard push for PS3 in Japan.

Regards,
SB

New Super Mario Bros. Wii may have a lasting appeal. I've seen a lot of people betting that it will, based on NSMB DS.

Famitsu actually has the PS3 up over the previous week.

Hardware:

DSL 3,700
DSi 44,000
PSP 40,000
PS3 31,000
Wii 25,000
360 2,800
PS2 2,600

Seems like it's gonna come down to NSMB vs FFXIII. FFXIII might move more hardware simply because it's bundled with the PS3. Wonder how many bundles they will ship, though.

I think so. I forgot to mention that I meant in the YTD battle with the Wii vs PS3. Ultimately it comes down to which game will move more hardware for their respective consoles.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii may have a lasting appeal. I've seen a lot of people betting that it will, based on NSMB DS.

Ah, had forgotten about that title. It'll be interesting to see which has a greater impact on sales.

IE - are there so many Wii's in households now that the potential pool of people wanting NSMB but who don't have a Wii will be smaller than the potential pool of people that want FFXIII but don't have a PS3?

This holiday may turn out to be more interesting that I expected...

That said I wouldn't be surprised if NSMB handily outsold FFXIII but PS3 ended up outselling Wii.

Regards,
SB

Bayonetta and Tekken 6 were 1 - 2 in software which probably attributed to the PS3 increase. This week there's the Winning Eleven PS3 bundle which should help as well.
PS3 in very good shape leading up to the holiday season.

Winning Eleven gave the PS3 another little boost as expected. I think the PS3 and Wii will remain within 20k of each other until their big releases (New Super Mario and FFXIII respectively). PS3 inched closer and closer each week, so I think the PS3 has a really good shot at beating the Wii in 2009, which is somewhat of an accomplishment for Sony I guess.

Back