Influences of Favorite Console Religion on Game Perception (containment thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the lighting is just coming from a different angle, casing shadows ( that come through the other side ) at diferent places. Not his head used to cast a shadow on the leaf imediatly in front of him and now it does not.

Yeah definitely could be something else, although i think it's the shader specifically because you can see changes in the background as well, which doesn't seem to have different lighting conditions. In any case, these are small details :)

And once again with the shadows, i think they really make this scene: http://abload.de/img/1hlq34.jpg

The foliage, his brother, even the wooden beams have shadows, everything except the very distant foliage which looks flat by comparison (lod kicking in). Once again very impressive for a Ps4 game.

Edit #2: nvm

Last edited:
uncharted2rys5l.gif

Great work of animator

Sorry, I made a mistake. I wanted to say that I love your GIFs Clukos. What software do you use for making such high quality GIFs with no dithering at all?

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Sorry, I made a mistake. I wanted to say that I love your GIFs Clukos. What software do you use for making such high quality GIFs with no dithering at all?

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Thanks :) I'm using good ol' photoshop, I don't know of a better tool to make these!

As much as you are always trying to make people feel like layman when it comes to offline CGI ( I mean, even your damn user name is kinda of douchy ) you regularly prove how little you know of real time tricks yourself.

I never admitted to knowing realtime tricks as I don't work on games.

True volumetric lighting vs. fake/postprocess is a very common theme, nothing he made up at all. You don´t need to give everyone such a hard time man...

Sorry about that. I'll digress.

Heh look at that metallic whatever it's called

http://abload.de/img/3vys3c.gif

Second image is first frame after Sully moves his hand over it, seems like when it is occluded it's at a much lower quality than when it is on view, takes some time to re-adjust, looks like a temporal technique. Interested to know what the actual tech behind this is, something nice for perf optimization per frame perhaps?

Last edited:
posted in the accurate human rendering thread, real-time vs cg (different lighting but same distance)
3fiswh.jpg

What is it about Naughty Dog games that unleashes hysteria over visuals.

What I find even more amusing is that the hysteria is usually created by people that don't even have any intention of playing the game they are so desperately analyzing and comparing to other games. I suspect they didn't even play the last games. Which then renders most critic rather useless, because it's the game itself that adds the complexity and thus what is possible visually because performance of the hardware is finite and results in what compromise, trade-off, we're seeing.

In light of Uncharted - it's a trade-off, as is any other game too. You have framerate to consider and then you also have to consider how much is going on. How dynamic the landscape, how complex the game is. These things aren't easily quantifiable when looking at still framegrabs and comparing them to games on mostly other platforms (with constantly evolving hardware like PC). It's really moot. And frankly, a waste of space IMO. I respect that this is a technical orientated forum and thus attracts a lot of nerds more interested in poking at screenshots rather than playing the actual games, but at the same time, it provokes a lot of rubbish and more tragically, changes our perception of what is deemed a good compromise vs. a bad one. I see this happening in many games that might look great, but play utter shit due to inconsistent framerate or simply gameplay mechanics that feel like they are from 3 generations ago. But hey, as long as the graphics are nice right?

Lastly; I don't care if there are games that look better than Uncharted 4 at the time of its release. I'm hyped for this game because I know that with Naughty Dogs pedigree (and having played every single game since their PSone days) that it's a pretty certainty that the game will be 1.) polished 2.) play fantastically 3.) be fun 4.) look great with amazing attention to detail. What more could you possibly want? The best side effect is that hystorically, the games of Naughty Dog have always been at the very top end of the bar of what is possible on the given hardware. Always. But you might have to consider a little more than mere screenshots to reach that conclusion to find the fine nuances here and there that also cost performance and result in a trade-off.

What I find even more amusing is that the hysteria is usually created by people that don't even have any intention of playing the game they are so desperately analyzing and comparing to other games. I suspect they didn't even play the last games. Which then renders most critic rather useless, because it's the game itself that adds the complexity and thus what is possible visually because performance of the hardware is finite and results in what compromise, trade-off, we're seeing.

In light of Uncharted - it's a trade-off, as is any other game too. You have framerate to consider and then you also have to consider how much is going on. How dynamic the landscape, how complex the game is. These things aren't easily quantifiable when looking at still framegrabs and comparing them to games on mostly other platforms (with constantly evolving hardware like PC). It's really moot. And frankly, a waste of space IMO. I respect that this is a technical orientated forum and thus attracts a lot of nerds more interested in poking at screenshots rather than playing the actual games, but at the same time, it provokes a lot of rubbish and more tragically, changes our perception of what is deemed a good compromise vs. a bad one. I see this happening in many games that might look great, but play utter shit due to inconsistent framerate or simply gameplay mechanics that feel like they are from 3 generations ago. But hey, as long as the graphics are nice right?

Lastly; I don't care if there are games that look better than Uncharted 4 at the time of its release. I'm hyped for this game because I know that with Naughty Dogs pedigree (and having played every single game since their PSone days) that it's a pretty certainty that the game will be 1.) polished 2.) play fantastically 3.) be fun 4.) look great with amazing attention to detail. What more could you possibly want? The best side effect is that hystorically, the games of Naughty Dog have always been at the very top end of the bar of what is possible on the given hardware. Always. But you might have to consider a little more than mere screenshots to reach that conclusion to find the fine nuances here and there that also cost performance and result in a trade-off.
Tonight, on "LEAVE UNCHARTED ALOOONE!!": "only haters could dare criticize Naughty Godz games!!1!!" :LOL:

Tonight, on "LEAVE UNCHARTED ALOOONE!!": "only haters could dare criticize Naughty Godz games!!1!!" :LOL:

Tonight, on "TROLLING IS A FORM OF ART DON'T OPPRESS MY RIGHTS TO SHITPOST": "only haters could dare criticize obvious bait posts!!1!!" :LOL:

I've noticed it's always the same people shit posting in every one of these game threads. One pretending to be an expert on everything while claiming everyone else is wrong, and one always trying to move the discussion towards another specific game by making ridiculous comparisons. It's getting old. Maybe change it up a bit, folks.

I've noticed it's always the same people shit posting in every one of these game threads. One pretending to be an expert on everything while claiming everyone else is wrong, and one always trying to move the discussion towards another specific game by making ridiculous comparisons. It's getting old. Maybe change it up a bit, folks.

I'm by no means an expert in 3D graphics, especially real-time graphics tricks. But I do work in the graphics industry and have been for quite awhile, so I don't have to "pretend". I only ask that people back up their claims with more than just screenshots or gifs so the arguments are more fruitful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back