Halo 3 Beta: May 16th - June 7th

also this map will not be in the public beta as allegedly it is not as far along in the graphics process as the 3 that will be released.

This is true going by Bungie's comments.

I just got finished watching the almost 7 min leaked Beta video, and I have to say, it looks quite nice. A couple things I would like to see in the final game though.

1) I would like to see track marks being left in the sand from the vehicles and when you're walking. I know track marks were being left in the snow on Snowbound in that Alpha video, so that gives me hope.

2) I would like to see the vehicles tires collect dirt, once they come out of the water and are driving over the sand.

Saw this pretty direct comparison posted and thought it was quite effective. I know it's a crappy shot of Halo 2, but it's an even crappier shot of halo 3 beta, so it sort of balances out :LOL:

Halo 2 Zanzibar:

halo-2-20041107100448300.jpg

Halo 3 Beta Zanzibar remake:

h3.jpeg

Several months left to go too, and just look at how forza has changed in the space of a month. It's already looking great in my opinion and is only going to get better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw the better res vid, it looks pretty good and it's still in BETA form. I agree, it already looks as good if not more than R6 Vegas or GRAW 2 MP.

Looks good, but am I the only one that is curious on how the single player game looks?

Nope, you're not the only one. ;) My guess is that we'll see "final" footage for SP when they start showing commercials for the game's release.

I hope that when I'm actually playing this it looks a lot better than that. No advanced shader techniques.... Not a single normal mapped texture in sight.... Everything is so flat.... Last gen animation from Halo 2.... Explosion and the gunplay effects lack a 'pop' that other next-gen games have... no tire tread marks in the sand.... water is a flat texture no movement at all when you get in it.... Thinking of Halo 3 I never would have thought it'd look so average at best. This is one of the biggest franchises and should have had one of the biggest budgets. As it stands there are games that will sell only a fraction of what this game will but look much better.

Holding final judgement for the beta...

that leaked Multiplayer map is not in the public beta as it's not as far along as the other maps. also it was taken (poorly) from an SDTV

also we've been discussing it here already

edit: danged Mods are fast around here. :)

Holding final judgement for the beta...

This had better be some sorta sarcastic poke at some people. :LOL: Final judgment for a beta...

What details can you expect to see from a low res video? Really :?: The Zanzibar 2 map is far from being complete graphically hence its exclusion from the public beta.

well they have 5-6 months of tweaking so ANY commentary on details of graphics at this point (or even from the beta) are premature. Let alone that the game SHINES in the most important part... the game PLAY. :smile:

well they have 5-6 months of tweaking so ANY commentary on details of graphics at this point (or even from the beta) are premature. Let alone that the game SHINES in the most important part... the game PLAY. :smile:

It appears they are taking the same steps as Turn 10, gameplay first and foremost then apply on the next-gen gfx. To me, this is the way it should be done. If by example that is FM2, I have no doubts Halo 3 will be a next-gen gfx showcase :D

Graphics are ok...but were is the new gameplay? It looks identical with a shield and I know there are like mines now. I hope there are at least new game types because they didn't change all that much from a gameplay standpoint from what I have seen. It basically looks like Halo. Not that it's a bad thing but I'd like to see something fresh and new added to the mix.

also this map will not be in the public beta as allegedly it is not as far along in the graphics process as the 3 that will be released.

Not that im doubting you ;) , but im trying to quote that statement in another forum I go to and obviously if I dont show proof, they'd think im pulling stuff out of my... :oops:

So, do you have any links to this? please? :D

I hope that when I'm actually playing this it looks a lot better than that. No advanced shader techniques.... Not a single normal mapped texture in sight.... Everything is so flat.... Last gen animation from Halo 2.... Explosion and the gunplay effects lack a 'pop' that other next-gen games have...

You're ki.... no, you're F'ing kidding, right? Seriously, this is a joke post, right? Mocking people on other forums or something? normal mapping? What about specular lighting, lens flare, and all the other effects-of-the-day ?

no tire tread marks in the sand.... water is a flat texture no movement at all when you get in it.... Thinking of Halo 3 I never would have thought it'd look so average at best. This is one of the biggest franchises and should have had one of the biggest budgets. As it stands there are games that will sell only a fraction of what this game will but look much better.

Not a flat texture at all. But nothing is a good effect if it isn't horribly overdone and obvious, right? Bloom, parallax mapped bricks, that kind of stuff... subtlety is not the name of the game...

May 16th. Until then, it's just a bunch of... well, hell, it's unbelievable what some people say at other forums. I was surprised to walk in here and not see "looks exactly like Halo 2" and that this topic isn't filled with the totally irrational criticism (and praise) seen on said forums.... especially since some of the people there post here as well. But, then again, those same people don't seem to have played Halo 2 at all, and think minor artistic changes to certain games are "massive downgrades."

Not that im doubting you ;) , but im trying to quote that statement in another forum I go to and obviously if I dont show proof, they'd think im pulling stuff out of my... :oops:

So, do you have any links to this? please? :D

I believe it was one of Frankie's updates... I'll see if I can't find the exact one.

edit: make that several :p

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12370

The reasons you’re getting three maps is similar, but has as much to do with our normal production schedule as anything else. It’s easier to think of why you’re not getting the rest of the maps. They’re not done yet. All are geometry complete, but they’re being polished and tuned for graphics and gameplay ‘til the last minute. You could say that the maps you’re playing are the best balanced and most complete so far.
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12362

We did show off a few levels. Three of them you’d seen before – Valhalla, High Ground and Snowbound. Those are the three that comprise the Beta and you’ll be playing them yourselves in about a month.
And if you don't know what those three maps are, I refer you to an older Weekly Update that explicitly shows them:

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=ilikethisgame

None of these are remotely similar to Zanzibar.

Evidence enough? :)

Exactly. So someone should tell people who post comments like this:

To read the disclaimer on the pics: [BETA BUILD]

:p ;) :???: :-|

Maybe the part where I said it "looks ok" you did not read. So now i'll be more more frank - it looks last gen. In fact there are some last games that look better to me. to me ok! Now with that said, I want more out of my 360. This is their biggest game. It should look so good that I should be falling out of my chair. Gears of war looked that good so I know its possible. Since spent my money to buy an Xbox 360 -Microsoft better deliver!:devilish:

Maybe the part where I said it "looks ok" you did not read. So now i'll be more more frank - it looks last gen. In fact there are some last games that look better to me. to me ok! Now with that said, I want more out of my 360. This is their biggest game. It should look so good that I should be falling out of my chair. Gears of war looked that good so I know its possible. Since spent my money to buy an Xbox 360 -Microsoft better deliver!:devilish:

and the point that fly over your head was that...

...what you have seen in this thread today (low res, not-for-public-consumption beta SDTV footage) is in no way indicative of what you will see on your HDTV in October.

Back