Formula 1 - 2014 Season

Dave is right, RBR lost more relatively speaking when the blown diffusers were outlawed.

Last year Lotus was good at managing tires that degraded quickly, i.e. maintaining the grip they had in the first place, while Red Bull chewed through them too quickly because they had such a greater force on the tires through aero. The change mid-season made the tires more durable, but less grip, taking away Lotus' advantage and playing to the aero strength of RB. As I said, best way to reduce to gap between all the cars is increase the tire grip and durability (as everyone as equal potential benefit with a single tire supplier) whilst lowering aero performance. The scenario you bring up from last year is actually a good example of this.

Hm, do you have any reference that the tires had less grip after the change?

Hm, do you have any reference that the tires had less grip after the change?

If they were only more durable, why would Lotus had lost any advantage they might have had? They had less grip too, which with Lotuses weak aero meant they had hard time even getting the tires to proper temperatures anymore, which is why any advantage they might have had was lost

If they were only more durable, why would Lotus had lost any advantage they might have had? They had less grip too, which with Lotuses weak aero meant they had hard time even getting the tires to proper temperatures anymore, which is why any advantage they might have had was lost

Oh, I really don't think that F1 tires are that simple beasts. They could have the same net grip, but can have complete different characteristics how you achieve the grip with which settings. That is why the manufacturer recommended a certain min pressure and angle for the tires in use, which should affect also other behavior of your car, such as e.g. The aerodynamics. Imo obviously RB build their car around the pre-year tires characteristics, whereas the Lotus engineer said in an interview that they really focused on the actual tires and build their car around this...that is the reason why RB wanted the old tires back imo.

But my original point was that tires have a major impact on the entertainment factor of F1. I claim to make tires with less grip such that we get "wet-condition" races all the time. But if you guys are convinced that tires with way more grip are needed...I am happily joining your side as long as this has the effect that more teams are fighting for the championship.

Soft tires with lots of grip that last 1/3 of the race
Zero electronic aids (they should be banned right)

Manual Gearbox and Clutch

No power steering
Reduce the number of adjustments the driver can do in car to a bare minimum (brake balance).

Keep the DRS, find a way to make Kers more transparent, right now the setup plays a to big deal (imho).

Race starts soon, I'm hoping for Nico to win and Williams to take two other spots on the podium.

Alonso is supposedly get ~25 million pounds from McLaren for 2 year contract. Button goes out, Magnusen stays in.
http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report...aren-honda-to-be-the-biggest-in-history-of-f1

Also, Times reports that there is a rumor that Ferari and Red Bull will drive 3 cars each next year. If both Marussia and Catheram don't return next year, FIA will most surely ensure that there will be 20 cars on teh grid. Many contracts with event holders are signed for "20 car race".
http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/9557873/ferrari-and-red-bull-to-run-three-cars-in-2015

Wouldn't it actually be in the FIA's favor is there weren't 20 cars on the grid? It seems that the 100 year deal they made folds if the commercial rights holder doesn't provide enough cars.

I also doubt we will see 3 car teams, that would pretty much destroy all teams but the 4 big ones (RB, Ferrari, Merc, Mclaren). and I highly doubt that one of the 4 big teams would like to see their competitor field 3 cars when they can only field 2.

Brazil, Nico keps it together and Hamilton made one of his very few mistakes, had he taken the lead Nico would have had to take a chance and try to pass Hamilton no matter what. Massa secures 3rd, how? And button is under pressure and delivers beyond expectation, fantastic.

And it all comes down to the last race, where Hamilton most likely drops out from some obscure malfunction and Nico can secure the season with 6th place and formula one will once again have thrown a spectacle with a questionable result. Only reason i am guessing this is simply that it would make this season the perfect storm of semi bad season.

If Hamilton had taken the lead, Rosberg would've been dropped like a bad smell, Hamilton was so much faster in the race it was unreal.

I suspect he got the "hold station" call several laps from the end or decided it was best to not risk everything for the win on this occasion.

If Rosberg brings more shame on Mercedes at Abu Dhabi, I expect his car will develop a problem and have to retire.

Didn't think I needed to mention something you already mentioned.

You are lucky he did spin, otherwise you'd have to make up other stuff to carry on your agenda.

Hows did your theory about Hamilton being too scared to pass Rosberg after Spa work out again?

Didn't think I needed to mention something you already mentioned.

You are lucky he did spin, otherwise you'd have to make up other stuff to carry on your agenda.

Hows did your theory about Hamilton being too scared to pass Rosberg after Spa work out again?

They did 2 stops, right. So I wondered why Hamilton didn't try a second time. But maybe he was scared:)

Not that I am expecting anything serious from you.

They did 2 stops, right. So I wondered why Hamilton didn't try a second time.

3 stops. 1st stop, Rosberg gained a bit of time through the undercut, which Hamilton closed and while Rosberg pitted for his 2nd stop, he was doing purples and most likely would have been ahead if he hadn't spun. Then Hamilton pitted for his 2nd stop and came out ~7 seconds behind Rosberg, which he then closed again to around 2-3 seconds when they both pitted for their last pitstop. The 3rd stint was effectively ruined because of his spinning.

I don't think we can say with certainty that Ham was faster than Ros at Brazil. Sure, Ham was closing down on Ros @ the last stint, but unlike in other races, Ham can't really do anything with it. Because of that, I think Ros running at a pace that he thinks good enough for tyre life while at the same time can prevent Ham to overtake him. What Ros side didn't expect (and even Ham side!) was that Ham still got enough rubber to do that quick in lap which at the end backfired because they think Ham can do another one which wasn't the case.

I don't think we can say with certainty that Ham was faster than Ros at Brazil. Sure, Ham was closing down on Ros @ the last stint, but unlike in other races, Ham can't really do anything with it. Because of that, I think Ros running at a pace that he thinks good enough for tyre life while at the same time can prevent Ham to overtake him. What Ros side didn't expect (and even Ham side!) was that Ham still got enough rubber to do that quick in lap which at the end backfired because they think Ham can do another one which wasn't the case.

From what i read, the Hamilton super lap was prepared by Hamilton by saving as much tire as he could before Rosberg did his pitstop. That it was so fast was a surprise, but he clearly was on the edge.
Imho he didn't have the same superior speed in this race like he did in Austin.

When Ham did his super fast lap and spun, Nico was immediately informed and backed off on his out lap. So there is no way of really determining if Lewis would come out 1st without spin or not as the unknown is how fast Rosberg could really go if pushing all the out lap.
According to Lewes he would be 1st and according to Nico he had him covered no matter what (post race interviews).

Nice race and good battles all the way through field. Shame for the rain ...

Nico's outlap was on lap 27, Hamilton spun on lap 28 - for Nico to have made a decision based on Hamilton's spin it could only affected the very last sector of the lap, and that would be assuming that it was communicated to him immediately. Hamilton's point is that really lap 28 shouldn't have existed on that set of tires because he would have normally come in at the end of lap 27 which is when he set the blazing lap time. It sounds like it was a team decision to keep him out based on the speed of his first two sectors on lap 27 and see if he could further extend the gap, not realising that for him to set that time he took out all the remaining life of the tires.

Back