Formula 1 - 2014 Season

It was an entertaining race with a lot of action. Too bad Alonso had to retire.

Ricciardo was masterful in his overtaking. Bottas had to practice a bit before his moves stuck.

Hamilton did well to overcome his start problems, but Rosberg's basically unforced errors were a bit pathetic really.

Rosberg is still in pretty good situation. If he wins the last race, he can be second in every race until then (5 races) and still take the title with one point. He has more engines left, if I'm not mistaken and at the moment basically can still afford one catastrophe. Hamilton of course still has a good chance to take it and things can change quickly, but from now on he needs to pretty much max every race.

Rosberg is still in pretty good situation. If he wins the last race, he can be second in every race until then (5 races) and still take the title with one point. He has more engines left, if I'm not mistaken and at the moment basically can still afford one catastrophe. Hamilton of course still has a good chance to take it and things can change quickly, but from now on he needs to pretty much max every race.
But now we know Rosberg can crack under pressure. It will give Hamilton added confidence.

There's all to play for.

Lewes is great on breaking and this track is all about late breaking and exits.
Apparently he didn't brake as much. Evidently his pole lap had an apex speed around one of the chicanes as 15kph faster than Rosberg. He was also hitting up to 17kph faster in the speedtrap on the straights.

Apparently he didn't brake as much. Evidently his pole lap had an apex speed around one of the chicanes as 15kph faster than Rosberg. He was also hitting up to 17kph faster in the speedtrap on the straights.

In the race Lewes was a lot quicker in sector 2 and usually slower in sector 1 with sector 3 being very close for both drivers. This suggest Lewes took more downforce than Nico.
Again, it makes sense when you consider lack of track time for Rosberg forcing him to be more conservative with setup.

On the other hand it is really hard to figure it out completely as both cars might have been using different ERS deployment strategies shifting sector time advantages. This extra 160BHP can't be used fully every lap as according to team engineers they usually have 1 full power lap followed by 1 regeneration lap in qualifications. Race deployment should be more balanced for drivers not fighting on track and strategically used for the others.
That must be why I noticed some cars defending very well on straights for 1-3 laps and eventually passed easily as if they lost 100BHP+.

A quick and dirty google translate of the key point of the article:
Unseren information indicates there were at Ferrari an efficient noise, because the car of Kimi months was heavier than that of Alonso. We are talking about 15 kg, which would be (depending on the race track) between three and four tenths of a second per lap time loss. Is that one of the reasons why the benefits of Raikkonen measured in the first half of the season to those of the Spaniard were so weak?
Very interesting.

In the race Lewes was a lot quicker in sector 2 and usually slower in sector 1 with sector 3 being very close for both drivers. This suggest Lewes took more downforce than Nico.
Again, it makes sense when you consider lack of track time for Rosberg forcing him to be more conservative with setup.
Actually they both had similar amounts of time in free practice. Lewis lost ~1 hour in Friday FP2 while they sorted the electrical system after they had installed the fixed engine that lunched itself in quali a few races back (start issues are probably related to this) and Saturday practice is only an hour anyway, so they both had similar practice time; over all three sessions Lewis completed 64 laps and Nico 67. As Lewis stated they both have similar styles and likely setups so they just learn from each others data.

The fact that Lewis is faster in the straights would suggest less downforce, though this may also just be a consequence of a faster apex speed translating to a higher speed if they are not rev limited at the point of the speed trap.

Lewis got drs and a tow to set his top speed, Rosberg was never close enough to get either from hamilton hence the massive speed difference in the speed chart.

I think Ham also had the lead on top speed in quali. I can't remember how much, but the commentators always mentioned it.

No he want they were very even, although I think Rosberg was slightly quicker. The Williams were quickest if memory serves

I heard about Formula E for the first time today. Really like the idea, was thinking about hybrid feasibility for F1 while cycling only last Wednesday, and this fully electric setup could well replace my (long fading) interest in F1. And it could give a nice boost for new city based tracks to drive virtual laps on too. ;)

Back