Formula 1 - 2012 Season

I know they are being supplied by Red Bull, I simply didn't realize the deal involves the bodywork too. :D

So who is next to launch their car, Lotus?

I know they are being supplied by Red Bull, I simply didn't realize the deal involves the bodywork too. :D

So who is next to launch their car, Lotus?

It probably doesn't include bodywork, but it can set some limits to how you have to design your body around it ;)

No I think Lotus was within a week of McLaren, Ferrari & Red Bull, but can't remember in which order they were - Lotus wasn't the first I'm quite sure thougj.

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/pre-season-testing-launches/
Scarbsf1 said:
Tests
Jerez Website
Feb 7th – 10th

Barcelona1 Website
Feb 21st – 24th

Barcelona2 Website
Mar 1st – 4th

Mugello Website
May 1st – 3rd

Car Launches

Red Bull: Launch 6th Feb 1pm (GMT) online, 1st test at Jerez
McLaren: Launch 1st Feb 11am (GMT) at Woking, 1st test at Jerez
Ferrari: Launch 3rd Feb at Maranello, 1st test at Jerez
Mercedes AMG: 1st test Barcelona1
Lotus: Launch Feb 6th, 1st test at Jerez
Sauber: Launch Feb 6th, 1st test Jerez
Force India: Launch 3rd Feb 9am (GMT) at Silverstone, 1st test at Jerez
Toro Rosso: Launch & 1st test at Jerez
Williams: 1st test at Jerez
Caterham: Launch online 26th Jan & 1st test at Jerez
HRT: Plan to test new car at 1st Barcelona test
Marussia: Plan to test new car at 1st Barcelona test

The new McLaren, I'm glad they got rid of the fugly sidepods used last year - the nose puzzles me though - it doesn't look like it could be low enough to fit the regulations, or their monocoque is lower than allowed
IIRC Minimum height for the top chassis is not the issue from the rules perspective, they can run as low as they like; they don't because they want to exploit as much airflow from the front to the splitter / tea tray area to benefit the rear diffuser. The new rules have lowered the max height for the nosecone without changing the max allowed higher for the chassis, but both can be lower.

Without the V type chassis that others have been running the last few years, McLaren already had a lower chassis and nosecone in the first place, as evidenced by the wheels running higher than than hieght of the nosecone/chassis. There were comments around the place that pointed to McLarens nosecome from 2011 already being pretty close to the 2012 regulations.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/02/01/mclaren-mp427-mp426-compared/

Yeah, I brainfart there, meant "monocoque is lower than allowed" was supposed to be "lower than max allowed"

It has a nice nose and that exhaust bulge is very interesting. Also notice the Red Bull-esque air hole at the back.

Regarding reactive ride, I think McLaren lobbied the FIA to ban it based on Paddy Lowe's comments today.

I'm starting to have a feeling that McLaren will have to change their nose, there's just no way they're the only one who can build a nose like that

1328259831.jpg

420050_323522414353365_263320907040183_864099_1254708784_n.jpg

9hkxc.jpg

edit:
Ferrari seems, other than nose, interesting, they have 2nd air in-take on the top there

Look at that chimney structure (Acer logo). It is blowing exhaust at the rear suspension and brake area.

And that nose is bad.

I'm starting to have a feeling that McLaren will have to change their nose, there's just no way they're the only one who can build a nose like that
Why? Because they are apparently going to be one of the few teams that can make a car look nice under these regs? They do it whilst having a fast car as well as their previous designs used similarly low chassis. The nose is not about the nose cone, it's all about the chassis and how they feel they can get the aero working around it.

Scarbes analysis of the Macca:

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/02/02/launch-analysis-mclaren-mercedes-mp4-27/

Look at that chimney structure (Acer logo). It is blowing exhaust at the rear suspension and brake area.

And that nose is bad.

Considering that the exhausts have to point upwards by no less than 10 degrees I doubt that's actually the exhaust.

Davros, I understand why other teams do it, but he point being is that in actual fact that is clearly not the only philosophy that works. Why? Because this years McLaren is actually following the same path that they had already utilised the year before (low tub, low nose) and they were the team that was most closely challenging the benchmark car last year.

Beautiful car and awesome analysis from Gary Anderson - seems he doesn't agree with all the McLaren design choices. Can't wait for the testing results!

Back