Electric Vehicle Thread!

BMW is doing it, not sure about others.
Question : I heard a rumour you need a subscription for heated seats ?

BMW is doing it in some countries but not the US or Europe.

They also tried to make Android Auto and Car Play subscription too and that put their customers off so they stopped doing it.

There's a Vietnamese company called Vinfast planning to make and sell EVs in the US. But they will have a battery lease program, so you pay for the car and then a couple hundred a month for batteries. They claim it cuts the price of the car by $15-20k.

Question : I heard a rumour you need a subscription for heated seats ?

BMW is doing it, not sure about others.

BMW is doing it in some countries but not the US or Europe.

They also tried to make Android Auto and Car Play subscription too and that put their customers off so they stopped doing it.

There's a Vietnamese company called Vinfast planning to make and sell EVs in the US. But they will have a battery lease program, so you pay for the car and then a couple hundred a month for batteries. They claim it cuts the price of the car by $15-20k.
Yes , BMW is the one doing that.

However my wife and I have a lease up and we were looking at either releasing (same suv but newer went up almost $180 to lease) or to buy new. The problem is my wife refuses to get any car without heated seats and a large sun roof/ moon roof? So while the sun/moon roof is getting easier to find , the majority of car companies are selling heated seats that don't come with the car. You have to pay the money , wait for the part to be made (shortage of some chip) and then a dealer will install it.

We also looked at a tesla suv. It is almost 20k more than a new equinox so we are just buying our lease out at the end of the year for 20ish k

Now is a seller's market for cars, both new and used.

Dealers are brazenly adding markup of $5k or even over $10k for a $40-50k car.

You really have to search for dealers willing to mark up only $1000 or sell for MSRP.

My BMW lease ended last August but I extended it by a month and then I sold it and paid off the residual and then sold it to a dealer for over $6k more than the residual. I never paid anything, the buyer, another dealer, just gave me a net check for like $6500.

To lease the same car, it would have cost me couple hundred more a month so I wasn't going to do that.

Instead found a Honda CRV lease, only about $100 less than my X3 lease. Didn't have to put a down payment, just about $1500 for first month and registration and taxes.

Hope 3 years from now, it's more of a buyer's market but the way things are going, who knows.

I really wanted something like the Ioniq 5 but it wasn't available back in January when I needed a car and I knew it would be in short supply and have a lot of demand so the markup was likely to be crazy.

With the money I made from the previous lease, I could have paid a markup but no way I was giving thousands to dealers.

For reference, Renault was doing it for the Zoe small EV years ago (2013). They stopped doing it almost 2 years ago.

They claimed it saved 8000 Euros on a vehicle sold at about 25k Euros. The battery rent was about 70-120 Euros per month depending on the number of km per year.

Consumers can choose not to buy from companies who are being annoying and nickel and diming us. I will buy a car if things cool out but I can keep mine for years more still.

More analysis of the EV tax credit in the new law.

Right now, most EV models qualify for the $7500 credit. Only Teslas and GM EVs no longer qualify.

But as soon as the new IRA law is signed by the president, the new EV tax credit law takes over and most existing EVs may not qualify.

As the article notes, a lot of EV factories are being built in the US. But they may still need to source lithium and other materials from China as they process most of the global supplies.

Even if these domestic battery plants increase the US's share of battery manufacturing, at least 40 percent of the critical chemicals that go into those cells must be extracted and processed locally, a percentage which will escalate by 10 percent each year.

Right now, North America doesn't have the ability to handle that production—about two-thirds of the world's lithium, much of its cobalt, and almost all its graphite are processed in China.

Domestic recycling of lithium-ion batteries will provide one local source of battery materials, and the US contains lithium deposits that have yet to be exploited. Automakers like GM were already trying to source as much as possible locally, but globally there's a race to secure contracts for future production, which might limit their choices.

Lawmakers specifically want lithium and other materials to be extracted here or in a country with a free trade agreement with the US.

But mining these chemicals and processing them are problematic environmentally. So one step forward to sell more ZEVs but two steps back to do mining and processing of chemicals in the US.

Even if the Biden administration interprets the provisions liberally, as suggested in the article, Republicans will probably challenge in court and try to effectively kill the EV tax credit.

So maybe consumers won't be able to use these tax credits for several years, if ever.

Lawmakers specifically want lithium and other materials to be extracted here or in a country with a free trade agreement with the US.

But mining these chemicals and processing them are problematic environmentally. So one step forward to sell more ZEVs but two steps back to do mining and processing of chemicals in the US.

Good thing, IMO. We should stop foisting those problems onto other countries while pretending like there is little to no environmental impact from the creation of modern batteries. Mining of materials, processing, etc.

Regards,
SB

Good thing, IMO. We should stop foisting those problems onto other countries while pretending like there is little to no environmental impact from the creation of modern batteries. Mining of materials, processing, etc.

Regards,
SB

Isn't that what the current administration is doing in regards to oil ? They are funding new pipe lines in other countries while shutting down pipe lines and oil drilling in the united states.

But on better news

500 mile range on the semi and cyber truck. I think a 500 mile range would be great on a tesla suv and outside of price ( they need to shed another 10k on prices) . I think with that range I could consider replacing my gasoline engine with it. Right now I get about 350miles per tank on my equinox. The additional 150 miles would allow me to make it to my Florida house with fewer charges and have a more reasonable trip time. Still wouldn't match my gasoline engine but is much closer

Isn't that what the current administration is doing in regards to oil ? They are funding new pipe lines in other countries while shutting down pipe lines and oil drilling in the united states.

But on better news

500 mile range on the semi and cyber truck. I think a 500 mile range would be great on a tesla suv and outside of price ( they need to shed another 10k on prices) . I think with that range I could consider replacing my gasoline engine with it. Right now I get about 350miles per tank on my equinox. The additional 150 miles would allow me to make it to my Florida house with fewer charges and have a more reasonable trip time. Still wouldn't match my gasoline engine but is much closer

So 500 miles semi next year or in a few years and cyber truck in this decade?

Really couldn't care less about whether FSD is "debunked" or not, and Elon Musk can get proper fucked.

Those items aside, having rented and driven an actual Tesla for 1400 miles across eight days, I can tell you that video of the Tesla driving over the dummy did not have the autopilot enabled. You can tell by the missing coloring of the road edges and the completely missing "path indicator" on the bigass screen in the center of the car while they were recording.

Really couldn't care less about whether FSD is "debunked" or not, and Elon Musk can get proper fucked.

Those items aside, having rented and driven an actual Tesla for 1400 miles across eight days, I can tell you that video of the Tesla driving over the dummy did not have the autopilot enabled. You can tell by the missing coloring of the road edges and the completely missing "path indicator" on the bigass screen in the center of the car while they were recording.
Does it need fsd enabled for emergency braking?

No, however you can also see an unreadable warning message in the lower corner of the display exactly when they double-click the right stalk. Again, having driven one of these before, that's exactly where it would tell you that some function isn't available either because a sensor is blocked or you're in an area not permitted for FSD or otherwise. I had a very similar error while enabling autopilot (not FSD) when I got a bunch of wet mud on one of the forward-facing cameras during my rental. Specifically it was warning me that collision warning may not be available because the car couldn't "see" forward. It also dinged loudly while enabling the function. At that point, it became literally no different than any other "standard cruise control" from any other car.

In that video, the car was actively warning the driver that something wasn't entirely right, and whoever filmed it left the obvious error for all to see. Here's the actual trick: the guy who funded this video also owns a software company whose sole purpose is to perform autonomous driving.

The raw video footage showed that autopilot was indeed enabled and the car crashed thru the dummy.

I suspect

1. They recorded multiple runs (probably AEB did not fail in all runs, just in some runs)
  2. They spliced together the "best looking" clips to create the ads.
  3. They forgot to make sure the "best looking" clips shows autopilot enabled

Alternatively, they deliberately used a b-roll with autopilot not enabled for the ads to create controversies and buzz. So they then happily release the raw footage as a proof, to further the buzz.

Anyway those hit piece ads was missing the main point: AEB should work even with autopilot disabled.

I think consumer reports already did a thing with Tesla cars running over dummies as well. Either way everyone here probably realizes FSD is currently a scam. I wouldn't turn my nose up at a free Tesla but I would not seek one out given all the musk over it and the excess hype and exaggerated abilities of their cars as well as scarcity of spare parts etc.

$12,000 is what's crazy. Lot of money to front for something that may never reach level 4.

No lidar, vision only.

The weird thing is that mobileye's vision only system seems to work better.

But as cars have long lead times, maybe it would take 3-5 years for mobileye system to come out for more cars. IIRC currently only 1 brand in China used it

Back