Electric Vehicle Thread!

The weird thing is that mobileye's vision only system seems to work better.
Based on what, though? Have you seen recordings of the current state of FSD?
A link in case the media embed tool isn't working: Youtube

edit: If you want to see some hot pedestrian action, skip to the 7 minute mark...

The hit piece was exactly that -- a hit piece, from a would-be competitor who isn't able to compete right now. Only after they were getting shredded online by anyone with a clue, they then "produced" a bunch more content to try to save face. "Oh look, we had all this other footage showing FSD actually turning on, and then completely separately from those clips, we have more pictures of cardboard cutouts getting mowed down. They're obviously linked, because we said so."

Here's the dumbest part of all: if we're going to blast Tesla for having a bad automatic emergency braking system, then blast them for AEB not working regardless of what drive mode the car is in. But no, let's have the owner of a non-competitive FSD product rail on how Tesla FSD is totes brokes, dawg. Don't worry, we'll sell something better for sure! Eventually. One day. Maybe.

All these insipid, clueless articles about "FSD killed a person last week" don't pay attention to the underlying statistics: on a per-mile basis, Tesla's FSD and EAP products are involved in almost an order-of-magnitude less accidents than human drivers. Google's autonomous test fleet found basically the same thing several years prior. For Google's published results, nealry all the accidents they were involved in ended up being some other human's fault in another car.

Elon Musk is a rampaging narcissistic asshole, he doesn't need my defending. Tesla is selling more EV cars than anyone else on the planet, they don't need y defense either. FSD is pretty cool technology in my opinion, and is IMO where the entire driving world should be going -- no matter who is building it. These articles are purely about FUD and not about facts. Even if there is a fact buried in there somewhere, it's lost in the shit FUD they spread all around it. It's the FOX Politics Morning Show of self driving news.

Last edited:
when will they use that for highway, replacing NoA? that would eliminates the phantom brakings.

anyway,
mobileye supervision

https://www.mobileye.com/blog/mobileye-supervision-test-demo-road-trip/ unfortunately no video, and it still need interventions

Also, to show just how well the computer-vision system alone works, we performed a significant portion of the driving in “mapless mode” (without the benefit of the Mobileye Roadbook), relying strictly on the vehicle’s onboard cameras instead. And we’re proud to report that the system performed impressively throughout – requiring only occasional and minimal human intervention, even after dark on non-illuminated roads and on pavement with worn-away lane markings.

video on highway

AEB

Here's the great part: if they're making a good FSD product, then their software should be able to stand on it's own merit. If they're making a great FSD product, that means there's competition and pressure on Tesla and anyone else doing the same to make a better product. If theirs is really that good, then it's better for all of humanity in the end. However, producing a garbage hit piece only makes it seem like their software is shit and they only way they can get anyone to notice their product is by putting together advertisements that show their ineptitude rather than their capabilities.

Hell, if the company cannot even edit together an ad properly showing their competitor's FSD actually enabled while supposably failing, how good is the company going to be at motion video detection during their own autonomous driving? (Yes, I'm aware the advertisement editing staff aren't the same people working on the software. Or at least, we hope so.)

I'd love to see more of their software in real life like the San Fransisco midday driving video I linked above. There's a LOT of shit going on in that video, and it was zero takeover or assistance by the driver.

Edit: you asked about Navigate on Autopilot. During my rental of the Model Y a month or two ago, I used NOA (it's their enhanced autopilot) quite a few times. I'm not sure if I understand your question, but I had zero issues with NOA driivng about 550 of the 650 miles I drove in each direction. For the other 100 miles, it was raining and NOA will not engage during inclimate weather. My understanding is FSD will not engage during incliment weather, either.

Last edited:
Best case scenario is using it for driving long boring parts of a trip. For someone who is poorly capable of driving, FSD will be a decent solution. Poor drivers do a lot of killing and no one talks about that.

There isn't a separate self driving car thread.

But if and when there are self driving cars for sale, it would likely be an EV.

Given the earlier misinformation from ars that no vehicles would qualify I thought I would post a link.
Doe

The prices might preclude some models though. It will also change over time. Still a lot of choices.

Given the earlier misinformation from ars that no vehicles would qualify I thought I would post a link.
Doe

The prices might preclude some models though. It will also change over time. Still a lot of choices.

Interesting that Nissan still hasn't reached their sales cap. Despite they've been selling leaf for eternity

Best case scenario is using it for driving long boring parts of a trip. For someone who is poorly capable of driving, FSD will be a decent solution. Poor drivers do a lot of killing and no one talks about that.

It doesn't even have to be poor drivers. Humans are all terrible at general driving. Our brains are only slightly more attentive to boring tasks than a squirrel on speed.

Doe

That only lists the cars that meet the North American assembly requirements. There are more requirements including like you said pricing, but also battery components source requirements, etc.

More details from Rob Maurer of Tesla Daily. Go to 1:31

Tommy McClain

Weird. I don’t know what to say. I have an older model S and it doesn’t have this issue. Not sure if this is a problem that is just “that” particular car and something with it is messed up.

Weird. I don’t know what to say. I have an older model S and it doesn’t have this issue. Not sure if this is a problem that is just “that” particular car and something with it is messed up.
The older Teslas are better in this test, "AP1", which was based on the Mobileye system.

The older Teslas are better in this test, "AP1", which was based on the Mobileye system.
So weird. Is the auto parking on newer teslas failing across the board? I would have expected a high failure rate to result in viral level of complaints

Back