Cars...

there are some situations where its better not to have an airbag
case in point I was in a mates car and some idiot drove straight into us
not having an airbag I was able to jump out of the car and punch him in the head several times because his airbag had pinned him to the seat ;)

It can be a lot of things.

Being aware of traffic bunching up on the highway and not rushing to join the throng.

In my city, I try to avoid various intersections that have extremely bad blind corners, and to be cautious at some intersections where it's basically a rule that the opposite traffic direction's left turn lane red light is going to be ignored by the first 3 or 4 cars that are there at a light change.

As my father learned, to take cars' turn signals at an intersection with skepticism.

As I learned, to take sleep deprivation seriously.

While we are on the subject of cars, i just totalled my fathers volvo.

I was driving down the taxi lane, lots of dense traffic in the normal to my left, some other volvo guy coming from the other direction took a left turn, thus popped out of nowhere (couldn't see through all the cars) and i rammed him @ about 50km\h.

The crash was pretty hard even at only 50km\h got the airbag in the face, and my body is still shook up by the event. The entire front hood thingy was pressed in pretty good, firedept guy said that its going to be cheaper to buy a new car than trying to fix the frame :S

Damn, sorry to hear that! I pretty much totalled my 155 in a similar way (as in the few thousand it cost to fix it was more than the car was worth), hitting a small opel from the side while gliding on a wet road at just over 0 degrees centigrade and with no ABS. We were both going really slow by that time as we'd both braked (wish he hadn't, actually, I would have missed him ;) ), much slower than you and my airbag stayed put, but even at a really slow speed you're quickly reminded of how heavy a car really is. It was completely my fault, I misread a sign on the road while in Dusseldorf (there were no other signs, something which I've personally never seen here, nor that kind of strange tic-tac-toe pattern of roads crossing each other) and I felt terrible. I've been sensitive to sounds of cars crashing (including Burnout for a while, lol) for a few years after!

Hope you're well otherwise and the insurance doesn't give you a headache!

I dunno what they exactly use, but as always safety is king so I guess they'll care less about smoke if there are more important factors to be considered. There is smoke and it smells like gunpowder, That's what I saw when I wrecked my car a few years ago.

Here is my wrecked Subaru.

I am still in it, unconcious and bleeding heavily, lord knows what I hit my head on but I basically fractured half way around my skull.

It was an accident, the tire blew/deflated rapidly right on the bend you see in the background and the road is a 70 mph road lined with concrete walls so theres not much I could've done. It was all over in a flash.

It's hard to make out but in a nutshell where the engine and bonnet was in no longer there.

Attachments

• 290392.jpg
    290392.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't kidding when I said it is like a small solid rocket motor guys. If you've ever seen those hobby store rockets (.3-1 m in length) that can blast off using those cylindrical sold rocket motors then you've seen the same technology. It's a cylinder of propellant with a hole down the center that is ignited and burns very quickly from the inner diameter to the outer producing very fast inflation of the airbag.

Mize, I wasn't doubting, it probably burns faster than smokeless powder and that is why they use it. Obviously the speed is paramount.

DJ12 that is sad to see a suby destroyed like that

Back