Cars...

The V8s in the G8 and charger all put out ~400 hp, with nice flat torque curves thanks the large displacement. There's no replacement for displacement, a 1.8l turbo 4 an never even come close imo.

Did i speak about the G8 and the charger in that context? No, i did not. I said that american car manufacturers are brain dead enough to put in V8's in cars that output 150-200ish hps. In fact, most of the things americans put v8 in have low hp and ridiculously high milage.

I have yet to see any definitive proof of this. Please point me to numbers that show say a G8 getting owned by a comparable merc or bmw (on a track, i.e lap times).

I fail to see when all american cars became the Pontiac G8. But sure, here you go

NURBURGRING- NORDSCHLEIFE LAPS TIMES FOR BMW,MERC,AUDI SEDANS + PONTIAC:

Audi RS4 (B7) 7:58
Audi RS6 Avant (C6) 8:09
BMW M5 (E60) 8:13
Mercedes C 63 AMG 8:13
Audi RS6 (C5) 8:20 <- 2002
Mercedes C 55 AMG 8:22 <----- OUTDATED 2000-2008 C Class (this particular one is 04)
BMW M5 (E39) 8:28 <--- 1998 model
Pontiac G8 GXP 8:30 <--- 2009
BMW M3 (E36) 8:35 <--- 1996
Mercedes C 32 AMG 8:37 <--- 2001

Source:http://www.fastestlaps.com/track2.html

Of course the escalade is shit. Huge SUV built solely to cash in on the ridiculous SUV craze that swept NA. On that note the cayenne is also shit IMO. Not even close to a real porsche.

Have you actually driven the Cayenne? Of course its not close to a real porsche (obviously, since its a SUV), but it certainly beats the shit out of every american SUV ever build, and as far as SUVs go, its excellent. (I prefer the BMW X5\X6, as with those two, you feel like your driving a regular 3 series in terms of handling).

Interior quality? Just personal preference. So what if they use plastic. Completely subjective.

What? its not subjective if they use plastic, and if the actual interior part doesn't actually fit properly (like is the case for ALOT of american cars). Expensive cars should not have a lot of plastic. Period.

All of those are pretty crappy SUVs as their off roading capability is crap. The 4runners from the early 90s were way better, the bronco from the 70s was better.

car1.jpg

Did i speak about the G8 and the charger in that context? No, i did not. I said that american car manufacturers are brain dead enough to put in V8's in cars that output 150-200ish hps. In fact, most of the things americans put v8 in have low hp and ridiculously high milage.

Everybody makes bad cars at one point or another. You shouldn't throw a blanket over all American cars just because a couple used 4.x L V8s that put out 2xx hp. Really at any point in the past 100 years there has always been at least a couple american cars that compete toe to toe with their euro/jap counterparts. Today is no exception.

NURBURGRING- NORDSCHLEIFE LAPS TIMES FOR BMW,MERC,AUDI SEDANS + PONTIAC:

Audi RS4 (B7) 7:58
Audi RS6 Avant (C6) 8:09
BMW M5 (E60) 8:13
Mercedes C 63 AMG 8:13
Audi RS6 (C5) 8:20 <- 2002
Mercedes C 55 AMG 8:22 <----- OUTDATED 2000-2008 C Class (this particular one is 04)
BMW M5 (E39) 8:28 <--- 1998 model
Pontiac G8 GXP 8:30 <--- 2009
BMW M3 (E36) 8:35 <--- 1996
Mercedes C 32 AMG 8:37 <--- 2001

Source:http://www.fastestlaps.com/track2.html

So what I'm seeing here is the G8 GXP competing with the last gen BMW M5 which had around 400hp and weighs almost the same (also cost many multiples more upon release). Both are in the same class being sports sedans with 4 doors. Times are very comparable. What was your point?

The G8 is below the Lancer Evo and the Suby STi and a host of others. It's like #150 on the list and it's also the GXP not the base so it's a $42k vehicle, not the $30k most people thing of when they hear G8. Not too shabby at all, but, like the Corvette, pretty much an exception for "American" cars. Although the Chevy Cobalt is on there too (and faster than the G8 GXP!)

And the cadillac CTS and a camaro (<-that one actually surprised me they must have improved handling on the new model).

Also many of the cars on the list are just slight variations on the same model so it is fairly cluttered IMO. I don't think it is in anyway out of the realm of possibility for american cars to have firm suspensions, I think that in the past they really thought that the public did not want them. As was recently said on the John Stewart show, "they are mobile cupholders" not performance machines for a lot of people.

While we are on the subject of cars, i just totalled my fathers volvo.

I was driving down the taxi lane, lots of dense traffic in the normal to my left, some other volvo guy coming from the other direction took a left turn, thus popped out of nowhere (couldn't see through all the cars) and i rammed him @ about 50km\h.

The crash was pretty hard even at only 50km\h got the airbag in the face, and my body is still shook up by the event. The entire front hood thingy was pressed in pretty good, firedept guy said that its going to be cheaper to buy a new car than trying to fix the frame :S

Ouch.
I hate accidents. I've been in three including one bad one but none for about 25 years. Here's to a speedy recovery and a quick insurance pay-out for the new car.

Don't forget the other bright side, any accident you walk away from isn't all that terrible. ;)

Trust me, a faceful of airbag is a lot more fun than putting your face through a window at high velocities. (I wish they had airbags back when I had my bad accident. :( )

Was everyone in the other car ok too? (I just remembered EVERYONE has to walk away from the accident for it not to be that bad...)

yeah, thankfully there was only me and the other driver. Talked to him earlier, he said he was fine, but like me he felt pretty beaten up. I guess thats what happends when an airbag hits your face @300km\h

Btw: whats with all the smoke coming from airbags? The whole coupe was filled with smoke. explosives? Also noticed that volvo has pink airbags for anyone who is curious ;)

Airbags may use rapidly burning charges to inflate at speed, or some other scheme to generate gas volume quickly such as compressed gas released by an explosive charge.

edit: I reviewed this and for most modern air bags the dominant component of the dust is likely something like talc. Older air bags had remants of caustic propellant included in the mix.

If a car has explosive seat belt pretensioners, it might also contribute to the cloud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing you and the other guy are fine, Ostepop! Safety first, driving later.

Which brings up an interesting point: what is better, passive safety (mostly airbags, crumple zones and car mass for US cars), or active safety (steer clear of the potential accident)?

Airbags are deployed with the equivalent of a small solid rocket motor, hence the smoke.

Which brings up an interesting point: what is better, passive safety (mostly airbags, crumple zones and car mass for US cars), or active safety (steer clear of the potential accident)?

Considering you can buy one (passive) but have to have skill (training) for the other (active) then the second is best but the former more practical for larger populations. The vast majority of drivers go "deer in headlights" at the critical moments and many who don't do the exact wrong thing.

Proactive safety is better in my mind.

Try to minimize the time spent in situations where split-second decisions might be needed to avoid disaster and by extension minimize the number of times one must try to survive them.

Human and mechanical means have limits, and our interests are in not putting them to the test.

Granted not all situations are ideal, but not going out of one's way to get into them is a good policy.

It could also be hang up the cell phone/bagel while mixing coffee at highway speeds, and give drivers intent on reading the newspaper a wide berth.

Airbags are deployed with the equivalent of a small solid rocket motor, hence the smoke.
Yes, you don't want to be in a car where it doesn't deploy as predicted. Then it's more like a hand grenade. (I've seen the videos from the airbag deployment center at a customer.)

Considering you can buy one (passive) but have to have skill (training) for the other (active) then the second is best but the former more practical for larger populations. The vast majority of drivers go "deer in headlights" at the critical moments and many who don't do the exact wrong thing.
Good point.

Proactive safety is better in my mind.

Try to minimize the time spent in situations where split-second decisions might be needed to avoid disaster and by extension minimize the number of times one must try to survive them.

Human and mechanical means have limits, and our interests are in not putting them to the test.

Granted not all situations are ideal, but not going out of one's way to get into them is a good policy.
Agreed. We should demand better skills for the driver license. Like those. It's a shame everyone not a definite disaster has to be able to get it, in most countries.

Back