Electric Vehicle Thread!

VW starts ID.4 production in TN, cutting starting prices but those are packs with 25% less capacity and range.

I was running my Tesla at 65KW and 80% of it most times. It wasn’t until I had to do a crazy ski trip that I firmware upgraded to 75KW for more range. But my whole time with my Tesla outside of that ski trip has been very successful on less.

Senate is expected to debate the IRA over the weekend. The law would increase investment to reduce GHG emissions.

But the other part of it is a new system of EV tax credits.

However, the new law would have domestic content requirements for EV batteries in order to qualify. Any batteries with any kind of content from China would not qualify.

Republicans like Marco Rubio plan to introduce amendments to require 100% US content from the start, rather than ramping up from 40 to 100% by 2029. Since Republicans won't vote for the IRA, this is just an attempt to rat fuck it.

The problem is no existing EV, including those made by US carmakers, would qualify for tax credits at all. Another problem is that a lot of components can't always be tracked to its source.

So various companies -- all seem to be US-based -- are asking for waivers or delays. There has been waivers granted for the Buy America provisions of the infrastructure act passed last year, because without those waivers, a lot of projects wouldn't even be able to start.

Besides requests for waivers, companies in the EV supply chain are hoping that the IRS and Treasury will interpret the laws more broadly and allow tax credits on existing EVs.

The reconciliation bill does not expressly outline any waivers. But how the requirements are defined and applied by the Treasury Department and IRS could provide some wiggle room.

Britton of ZETA said that while “the law is the law,” Treasury has authority over determining how U.S. businesses are allowed to interact with “entities of concern,” for instance — and the IRS will decide how and when to calculate how much of a battery is foreign-made.

One infrastructure trade executive suggested that there may be even more need for exemptions for the electric vehicle credits than there is for Buy America.

“Maybe it’s not apples to apples but it’s comparing fruit,” said AASHTO executive director Jim Tymon, whose organization represents state Departments of Transportation, including those pushing for Buy America waivers. “With a vehicle or a battery it’s a much more detailed analysis to figure out where those materials are coming from.”

It's not just EV companies. Many states are also pushing for waivers so that they can spur EV sales as soon as the IRA is enacted, rather than waiting years for a US battery supply chain to be built up, which could take years.

Vietnamese EV company in US and building factory in North Carolina.
Unlike other EV rivals in the U.S., VinFast has a unique business model in which buyers pay one price for the vehicle, but then lease the battery for a monthly fee. The company offers two battery-subscription plans, costing anywhere from $35 to $160 a month, depending on how much the owner wants to drive, the model purchased and the type of battery.
VinFast has said the battery leasing model brings the upfront price of its vehicles down $15,000 to $20,000, roughly on par with what many gasoline-powered models sell for today. The company also said it eliminates risks for the consumer because the service covers all repairs, maintenance and replacement costs, including swapping out the battery for a newer one.

Anyone have a tesla? Does it really rattles and have loud road noise?

On gran turismo, tesla sounds very normal. But reading online and watching videos, it rattles and have loud road noises

I'm not sure why you are saying no evs qualify. There is already a list that do. Also if a country has a few trade agreement with the US it counts. So Mexico and Canada count at the last look I had. The batteries can contain material from other places. LG, SK, and Panasonic all make batteries in the US. There are lots of options.

I'm not sure why you are saying no evs qualify. There is already a list that do. Also if a country has a few trade agreement with the US it counts. So Mexico and Canada count at the last look I had. The batteries can contain material from other places. LG, SK, and Panasonic all make batteries in the US. There are lots of options.
I'm just going by the article.

They said on paper, no EVs would qualify.

Yes it's true if the US has trade agreements with the countries from which they source the raw materials, it would qualify.

But China apparently processes a lot of the raw materials before they can make batteries with them.

Anyone have a tesla? Does it really rattles and have loud road noise?

On gran turismo, tesla sounds very normal. But reading online and watching videos, it rattles and have loud road noises
Nope. Not for me. No loud road noises and no rattling. It may just come down to assembly. They aren’t anywhere close to the level of finish the other car manufactures are. I have my own beefs with the car, but fortunately for me road noise and rattling is not one of them.

Tesla LOCKS customer's battery to 66% capacity after unrelated service.
I was also a 60 KWH owner. I did pay to unlock my battery to 75KW. And they went out of their way to rebadge my car as well. If they rebadge it to 90 they fucked up. Just take the L.

Tesla no longer creates different battery packs which is what we are seeing here it’s cheaper to release a car with the same hardware.

I don’t agree with what Tesla did. They fucked up and he bought a used car and the seller got away with selling a 60 as a 90 on the buyers loss. Anyway; Tesla fucked up they should have taken the L on this one. You can’t retroactively take back mistakes like this.

Tesla is highly overrated but their lack of competition from Ice vehicles inside the company helps a lot. We will see what happens in a few years but I think Tesla will need to awaken a bit of they want to keep growing and not accept such low quality initially and poor user experience from poor interiors.

Just yesterday I spoke with a diehard musk and Tesla fan who drove the Ford lightning and was shocked (haha) by how much better the experience was.

Last edited:
No it was a 90, there was no fraud from the seller the car had a 90kwh battery
No. But he had a 60. He never paid for a 90. All 60s actually have a 75KW battery. They firmware locked to sell it at a below price. The difference between a 60 and a 90 back then was over 20K CAD. To get 75 was 10K more. It came down in price over time but that was what it was.

He had a 60. Battery warranty gave him a new battery which is now the 90s back then (i assume they are all 100 (for S and X) or 75 (Y and 3) from here on) and the rest is firmware locked. Guy never paid for a firmware unlock. That was a mistake by Tesla to give it to him. He sold it as a 90. If he sold it as a 60 there would have been no misgivings. Unless the buyer knew all this time that Tesla gave a 60 accidental 90. Then he should have known this could have happened.

The buyer should not need to investigate whether a company will change the car after they buy a used car. That is ridiculous. Trying to figure out whether the owner is lying through their teeth is enough of a challenge.

If he sold it as a 60 there would have been no misgivings.
why would you sell a car that has a 90kwh battery as a car that only has a 60kwh battery
if I had a 3 litre bmw that needed a new engine and bmw accidently gave me a 4 litre engine when I sell the car I wouldnt advertise it as a 3 litre because it's not a 3 litre it has a 4 litre engine.
Imagine you bought that bmw you take your 4 litre bmw in for a service and when you get it back it's a 3 litre and bmw say we forgot to charge the original owner for the 4 litre upgrade so now you have to pay

Last edited:
why would you sell a car that has a 90kwh battery as a car that only has a 60kwh battery
if I had a 3 litre bmw that needed a new engine and bmw accidently gave me a 4 litre engine when I sell the car I wouldnt advertise it as a 3 litre because it's not a 3 litre it has a 4 litre engine.
Imagine you bought that bmw you take your 4 litre bmw in for a service and when you get it back it's a 3 litre and bmw say we forgot to charge the original owner for the 4 litre upgrade so now you have to pay
It’s because they needed to reach various price points. But it cost them too much to physically make a smaller battery SKU and it wasn’t being bought enough so they just make 1 SKU and firmware lock and price point it respectively.

The 60 was the least selling model S. It was eventually removed, but the point still stands, the original owner paid the 60 price but was given better hardware. That’s always the case with Tesla. They have been steadily removing models off the line and reducing options so make things cheaper for Tesla, but the downside is that the price points are going up. It’s always all options included now.

If Tesla rebadged the car to a 90 then they should eat the loss. If the car is badged a 60 and he was given a full unlocked battery by accident, he didn’t technically pay or even request an upgrade. It’s not an upgrade the previous owner didn’t pay for, it was never given or requested to begin with.

Last edited:
The buyer should not need to investigate whether a company will change the car after they buy a used car. That is ridiculous. Trying to figure out whether the owner is lying through their teeth is enough of a challenge.

This technically shouldn’t happen much. Very few of these entry level models were sold.

Tesla has steadily just removed all lower price point options nearly entirely. There is really just 1 configuration now, and you get a choice between long range and regular range. 2 engines or 1 engine. Self driving hardware or no self driving hardware.

All other options were removed and are now standard features.

There's got to be a screen on that giant tablet which shows which battery capacity a particular Tesla car is configured/paid for?

There's got to be a screen on that giant tablet which shows which battery capacity a particular Tesla car is configured/paid for?
There is. I really don’t know how they didn’t catch it. When I paid for my upgrade they told me at the service center that I requested it. It would never occur until headoffice verified I paid for the upgrade and then they would firmware unlock it; the service center would only be responsible for rebadging my car.

Honestly not sure how it could occur. Big time fuck up. But then again, very few batteries are dying on warranty (10 years). So; it may have been like that because Tesla doesn’t allow for retrofits. Otherwise I would have requested a 100 battery as soon as I could afford it; but those options don’t exist. It could only exist through the warranty system, and I suppose they had an old 90 sitting around.

Back