DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

The whole game looks so...flat. I really should just not comment further on the "if you dont have anything good to say" :p

You Playstation guys should wait till GT PS4, I'm sure that will do you a whole lot better than this.

I guess it is pseudo F2P, like KI. That can possibly explain some of it.

This Playstation guys is slowly but surely getting interested in this game.

Anyone know if there will be a replay option? I look forward to my demo on PS+

Ohh and you know what Rangers, your horns are starting to show :)

You Playstation guys should wait till GT PS4, I'm sure that will do you a whole lot better than this.

Personally I have zero interest in GT, totally not my style of racer (spreadsheet + sim versus exploration / arcade).

DriveClub looks like it should be fun while we wait for something like a new Test Drive Unlimited, Burnout, Midnight Club or a new WRC iteration to appear on the PS4.

Getting to try DriveClub out via PS+ is cool.

Cheers

If you think this looks flat, I can't imagine how low your opinion of the Forza 5 visuals must be.
Don't even go there. If people want to compare games, do so rationally and with reference to images/videos to support a view. Either challenge Ranger's view with a question for clarification, or an example that you think disproves his position, or if you think he's not being honest and is clouded by platform bias, just ignore his comment.

General advice to everyone at large, important seeing as we're going to get discussion regards platform exclusives on new consoles that will natural lead to stupid fanboy wars -

1) People are allowed to be biased and blind to reality in their own personal opinions
2) People don't have to respond to every post on the web. If a response is just bickering about attitudes and bias, save time and effort and don't post.

I saw this game at Pax. Evolution needs to really tighten up the graphics since it looked worse than GT5 in person at half the frame rate and worse IQ.

Also looked like the TVs were calibrated to 720p so it might not have been the game's fault.

Can anyone criticising the graphics qualify what they mean? I've seen the YouTube vid. It looks both flat and fairly realistic to me, the bits I saw. Real life is pretty flatly shaded a lot of the time. The sparse environments as they whizzed past seemed a little simply shaded, perhaps lacking a GI type solution, but I wouldn't say it was stand-out awful. The 3rd person (vehicle ;)) view looked arcadey, but I don't think anyone has managed to make the external view look like a camera following a real car yet. Internals lacked any sophistication on the shaders. Given the dynamic lighting though, as I understand it (not following this closely), the simpler lighting style can be explained in contrast to games with static, baked scenery. A little artistic flair in choice of screenshots can probably solve impressions of flatness, unless someone has a better argument as to the actual shortcomings.

Of course, no-one has to present their case. Plenty of people don't like something without being able to put into words why they don't like it, and plenty of people dislike one thing while liking some other remarkably similar thing for similarly unqualifiable reasons. It's always better for a discussion to elucidate on one's POV with more detail than just the assertion of it.

Can anyone criticising the graphics qualify what they mean? I've seen the YouTube vid. It looks both flat and fairly realistic to me, the bits I saw. Real life is pretty flatly shaded a lot of the time. The sparse environments as they whizzed past seemed a little simply shaded, perhaps lacking a GI type solution, but I wouldn't say it was stand-out awful. The 3rd person (vehicle ;)) view looked arcadey, but I don't think anyone has managed to make the external view look like a camera following a real car yet. Internals lacked any sophistication on the shaders. Given the dynamic lighting though, as I understand it (not following this closely), the simpler lighting style can be explained in contrast to games with static, baked scenery. A little artistic flair in choice of screenshots can probably solve impressions of flatness, unless someone has a better argument as to the actual shortcomings.

Of course, no-one has to present their case. Plenty of people don't like something without being able to put into words why they don't like it, and plenty of people dislike one thing while liking some other remarkably similar thing for similarly unqualifiable reasons. It's always better for a discussion to elucidate on one's POV with more detail than just the assertion of it.

The behind the car camera's has to static since controlling the car would be very hard with a dynamic. What I liked about the video was the way it seemed like the drift/contra dterringpart looked somewhat real by judging on the steering wheels movement.

The thing I hate about arcade racers is the obvious disconnect from driving a real car.

I liked the scenery but will have to see it for myself before passing judgment.

Hasn't evolution already stated that they are making a racing game, not a driving simulator? So it's not supposed to be pixel perfect real life glitz. It's supposed to look like a game and, quite frankly, it's looking better and better with each new showing. And I still remember being quite amazed by Motorstorm when I first got that on the PS3. I have utter confidence in their ability to produce a polished spectacle of gaming.

The behind the car camera's has to static since controlling the car would be very hard with a dynamic. What I liked about the video was the way it seemed like the drift/contra dterringpart looked somewhat real by judging on the steering wheels movement.

The thing I hate about arcade racers is the obvious disconnect from driving a real car.

I liked the scenery but will have to see it for myself before passing judgment.
My favourite part of the screenshots of this game are the scenarios. They look amazing at times. The cars though don't look so hot in comparison, I was nooot so amused when I thought they looked kinda blurry in fact, and I can't figure out how when the game is confirmed to run at 1080p -AIStrong ftw-. I don't think it is a resolution issue. In that sense, Forza 5 cars look way hotter to me -crystal clear and pristine-, for instance, and scenery wise GT is most probably going to be DriveClub closest rival.

I think where DC shines is the highly detailed and dense environments, lighting and textures. Car models are only ok and the aliasing is distracting, but the latter has supposedly been significantly improved in the current build.

I saw this game at Pax. Evolution needs to really tighten up the graphics since it looked worse than GT5 in person at half the frame rate and worse IQ.

Also looked like the TVs were calibrated to 720p so it might not have been the game's fault.

Does it also have rather obvious shader alias ? Are the shadows chunky ?

I like the recent DriveClub video because it is not too bright and clean like KZSF. It gives me the impression that they were racing in early morning in the mountains. It's like some of my hikes at dawn.

GT's art style is more hyper-realistic where they "imagine" the car in the best lighting condition.

The whole game looks so...flat. I really should just not comment further on the "if you dont have anything good to say" :p

I guess it is pseudo F2P, like KI. That can possibly explain some of it.
Um, Driveclub is almost like a full gen ahead of KI lol in terms of visual. The lighting in DC just looks so natural!

Um, Driveclub is almost like a full gen ahead of KI lol in terms of visual. The lighting in DC just looks so natural!

To me DC doesnt show a clear generational leap in visuals. If I didnt know anything about this game and someone showed it to me for the first time, I would have thought its a current gen game. Forza 5 looks much better than this in every way

To me DC doesnt show a clear generational leap in visuals. If I didnt know anything about this game and someone showed it to me for the first time, I would have thought its a current gen game. Forza 5 looks much better than this in every way
:???: IMO DC has better lighting, shadows, textures and environmental detail. Forza has better car models, looks cleaner and has more flashy visuals with more saturated colors etc., so I can see how someone would prefer the art style, but I completely disagree that it looks better in every way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Which video did you watch? The SLS one? That one has sunlight.

I think the new Forza city track looks great, but the recent footage of Laguna Seca isn't quite as convincing, imho.

Which video did you watch? The SLS one? That one has sunlight.

I think the new Forza city track looks great, but the recent footage of Laguna Seca isn't quite as convincing, imho.

All the gamescom direct feed videos

Looks really rough still. Needs more post processing effects + promised AA. Is their PR plan to put "alpha" videos out and then people will compare it to final and be impressed?

Building a new engine for launch title was always going to put them behind.. Forza played it safe.

The recent Forza5 track I've seen looked like something straight out of one of the lesser looking GT5 track. The amount of detail and lighting quality between F5 and DC is staggeringly big in favor of DC imo.

The recent Forza5 track I've seen looked like something straight out of one of the lesser looking GT5 track. The amount of detail and lighting quality between F5 and DC is staggeringly big in favor of DC imo.

You are talking about just one track (which I havent seen) but overall I cant see DC even as a good looking next gen game. It looks mediocre to me. And I have tried really hard to like it. Some of the older trailers looked much better than the direct feed gameplay videos we saw recently.

Back