DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

You are talking about just one track (which I havent seen) but overall I cant see DC even as a good looking next gen game. It looks mediocre to me. And I have tried really hard to like it. Some of the older trailers looked much better than the direct feed gameplay videos we saw recently.

Yeah the trailers look better than the actual footage. I think they are aiming too high with all the real geometry in the scenes combined with realtime day night cycle and all those shaders on the cars. In one of the videos in this thread the dev kept saying realtime GI but I doubt its just realtime day -night cycle, cos his words were pretty weird, ambigous. It must be quite demanding on the system compared to baked lightmaps. I guess thats why it doesn't look that impressive to some but is acutally doing much more than what Forza is. Its the age old problem of whther stuff should just look good or should tech be realtime? What excites one more, realtime effects which u know are dynamic or super beautiful but pre baked graphics? I sometimes lean this and sometimes that way. The techie in me wants all the realtime stuff of Driveclub but its pretty obvious that pre baked GI with post effects of Forza 5 will look better simply because it is precalculated. But technically, it also is last gen , but thts the techie inside me speaking :p

Similarly Witcher 3 with dynamic weather will always excite me more than any other super gorgeous game, cos I know it will surprise me sometimes. My most memorable moment of Far Cry 3 is still that one time when it suddenly rained :p ! It was beautiful !

THis here does look pristine ! Including the gameplay. Too many jaggies, but we already know they have a new AA solution. I like the third person view here , gives you more of the beautiful environment ! If they are going to improve it even further, this will be a great showcase, frankly !

Lens flare in first person realistic games is really stupid! My eyes don't have multiple glass elements such that I experience colourful halos while driving...

Lens flare in first person realistic games is really stupid! My eyes don't have multiple glass elements such that I experience colourful halos while driving...

Yeah :p its irritating in all games. Even KZ2, which had this amazing lens flare effect, made me feel as if my spectacles are smudgy. Crysis 2 was the worst, gave me headaches. Its weird, just like chromatic aberration, unwanted but overly used.

BTW, the shadows look too dark in this game. They should manage their tonemapping better. learn fomr KZ Mercenary, pls !

KZ2's lens flare is very subtle ! I didn't notice it until archieoz pointed it out.

What are you sating, it was all over the screen. Very beautful, though, as it takes real highlights of the scene and then creates the flare. It was evident even in the demo. its the best implementation till now, but hope everyone just tone the effect a bit down.

On topic:

http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_30746_1_en.html

Guys you have to watch this in 1080 p ! Holymoly the environment is so dense and the evening lighting so soft and beautiful. Even the dashboard shader is so good ! I guess what this game needed was directfeed HQ videos to show its might. This is pushing out a lot more than we have been able to grasp. I think a lot of people will be buying the full version after trying the PS+ one. I just hope th egameplay holds up, but this video turned out to be a eye opener for me :eek: !

XD Yes it was all over the screen but the colors are subtle (and complement the dull gray and desert brown levels). Lens flare in many games were more intense and striking because the environments were more colorful.

Taken from the gamersyde video using fraps:
ep9.png

yghm.png

kzul.png

10zj.png

1bpd.png

dw4c.png

Wish they would release screesnshots themselves to show the real quality !

This and Witcher 3 are going for really dense environments. Lovely ! The best part is that the same track looks so different at different time of days. Their realtime day noght cycle will pay off in the long run and keep tracks fresh.

Frankly, I am surprised that they aren't going for too many post effects. Its refreshing , for sure with every game overdoing post effects, but going by the trend people seem to associate post effects with good graphics. Either they choose to show the dense environments as such or the post effects will come later.

My only concern now rests on gameplay. Two weeks free ps+ means we all get to try it :). !

RudeCurve is just trolling like usual... that's what he says in every PS4 game thread. :rolleyes:
The detail and density of the environments is some of the best I've seen in any racer.

Well, one liners are generally not a great form of input anyway, but in this case there are quite a lot of 'casual' people claiming they don't really see much of a difference with current gen games. I definitely do see the differences though, especially in the quality of the real-time lighting and the trackside detail (which really is much higher, people just don't notice).

It doesnt look horrible, but it doesnt look mindblowing either. Looks kind of rough and flat. If they make it 60fps it will compensate a lot for it. But knowing that this is 30fps certainly disappoints me

Understandable. It took a 1080p video from gamersyde for me to finally "get" the beauty of what they are doing. If people are going to play this on 720p TVs, there are bound to not see what Evolution has worked up here.

and yes, it lacks that stellar art direction to make it stand out. I think they went for a realistic look, but their vegetation doesn't have a realistic look. IMO, thats where the mismatch is happening. Also, they are throwing a lot of geometry on screen which looks good in certain TODs but very contrasty in some TODs. Even if they keep everything as it is but tweak their day TODs to look better, they can wow the audience much more.

In any case , that sunset video from gamersyde won me over graphically.

But still miss motorstorm. Just adding those buggies in these dense environments can inject so much oomph into these visuals ! Instead we have to coast around on roads :( !

One-liner expressions have been trimmed. There's nothing wrong with someone expressing their view of a game, good or bad, but just repeatedly posting that opinion in a thread without entering into a conversation about it, especially when asked, is not in keeping with the spirit of a discussion board.

If people give this game a go, it might end up being a hit.
Normally for me, playing racing games you get feedback when you lap or reach a stage etc, but here you will get feedback and challenges quite more often.
So it might motivate me to play more, few things are as demotivating as ending up bottom of the leaderboard each time, without know how to improve etc.

So the sub-goals might help you learn a track or style much better by saying, this turn you did well and not much you can improve on that, while the chicane you can improve a lot. Getting instant feedback might keep you playing longer to improve. Ie you play with others, but at the same time you got more than just a time goal when trying to better yourself..

That's pretty good. Nothing like some nice art to improve the look of an engine. The interior is still rather flat and unconvincing, but the outsides quite realistic.

Unbelievable! The lighting alone really makes it a cut above literally every other racers out there. It's incredible how far Evolution has come with this game since the E3 showing. Eagerly awaits the 1080p direct feed.

That is looking pretty sweet now, glad I pre-ordered! I remember it was playing the original motor storm on the PS3 that made me happy to have bought into the console.

Back