DriveClub VR [PS4]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
Did anyone really expect anything different?

I didn't think they needed to drop the details that much and it looks very blurry too. The drop in quality is surprising in my opinion.

Game had to double frame rate and render in stereo, so almost 4x the work.

VR runs at double the framerate (or is it 90fps?) on two screens. It is an expected compromise.

Perhaps I'm missing something key here, but why almost 4x the work and "on two screens". I understands that the game renders different view to both eyes, but it's just a one 1080P screen split in half, so it renders 2 960x1080 screens, so where does the 4x come from?

I remember reading that in VR you should render higher than the display resolution, but that Driveclub video certainly doesn't make it seem like that's the case here. It looks like 720p to me.

Point is you have to render two pointe of view at the same time - two different camera angles. This is expensive.

I don't think it's anything close to 2X though, when your resolution is halved. There used to be a ton of games with split screen for 2 players and still are at least some and while many of those did make some compromises, I remember them being quite small.

edit: Not to sound too conspiracist, but it almost seems like they gimped this too much to make a nice showcase for the Pro-version.

Last edited:
I don't think it's anything close to 2X though, when your resolution is halved. There used to be a ton of games with split screen for 2 players and still are at least some and while many of those did make some compromises, I remember them being quite small.

edit: Not to sound too conspiracist, but it almost seems like they gimped this too much to make a nice showcase for the Pro-version.
Oh the compromises were huge back then. But we didnt care that much or the differences didnt matter that much.
GT3 on the PS2 for example reduced texture detail a lot on 2 player split screen. In some games even the framerate was halved. The resolution was shared between the two screens of course.
In the case of Drive Club, it is not a simple split screen. It also douples (or triples?) the framerate. Also I wonder if the VR requirement eats up extra performance.
Havethey indeed downgraded the visuals more than necessary? Maybe

Indeed, VR runs at double the framerate (or is it 90fps?) on two screens. It is an expected compromise.
The question is, is it worth it? I find the framrate quite appealing when combined with the idea of VR. I am curious to try it though since a hands on experience may differ a lot from expectations

Don't get your expectation up. Driveclub is probably one of the worst VR experiences I've tried so far. Detail is so low that it feels like it's taking you back to the 90's with 800*600 on 15" monitors. It's actually difficult to predict the curves that are far out.

Don't get your expectation up. Driveclub is probably one of the worst VR experiences I've tried so far. Detail is so low that it feels like it's taking you back to the 90's with 800*600 on 15" monitors. It's actually difficult to predict the curves that are far out.
Thats a shame
It had potential. VR is ideal for a driving game

It's actually difficult to predict the curves that are far out.

Well, that last bit may be a bit of an exaggeration ... and the ability to look way into a turn is far more important, and a huge improvement over regular gameplay.

The graphical difference is definitely worse for those (like me) who have played a lot of DriveClub before the VR version. And some tracks are worse than others (Norway looks better than India in terms of pixelation).

Well, that last bit may be a bit of an exaggeration ... and the ability to look way into a turn is far more important, and a huge improvement over regular gameplay.

The graphical difference is definitely worse for those (like me) who have played a lot of DriveClub before the VR version. And some tracks are worse than others (Norway looks better than India in terms of pixelation).

You also soon get used to it. Either way, looking forward to improvements on Pro

the problem is that Rushy twited that they did not use the full potential of the pro, lacking time certainly, but there still would be some improvements :(

Just back to native resolution, maybe down from super sampling, would probably help a great deal?

yeah better res and AA and it's all good, maybe some more details in the scenery, but that's not that important for full immersion.

yay? :yes:

nHQTZI7.png

Wipeout VR really needs to happen. Given how slick Rigs looks on the headset, the clean aesthetics of Wipeout should be the perfect fit. Doesn't take millions of polygons to make a Wipeout ship look awesome either. That sense of scale from inside the cockpits is gonna be absolutely terrific. Those ships are actually quite large.

I was actually wondering about bikes! Having separate head tracking from steering would be awesome!

they look very good ! anyone who was doubting DC engine to make proper city track just need to check out the canada city tracks.

Back