DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

Yeah really. I'd rather have next gen graphics at 30fps than a silky smooth 60 ufps, u for ugly. Besides I'm totally optimal with 30fps in Motor Storm.

No absolutely, you are of course right. IMO, devs should go for 15fps for even better graphics. I mean, who needs framerate. In fact, 5fps would be enough too. Pause the game and just marvel at the glorious graphics. :p

Seriously, we're going into a new generation of consoles with tech that is ~7 years newer than what we are currently playing on. I'm not sure there's a thing such as 60 "ugly" fps given we are yet to form an expectation on what we are to expect in graphics on these new machines.

If every developer would target 60fps from the get-go, we wouldn't be wondering how much better it could look but rather simply enjoy what we have. I find the mindset ridiculous that graphics need to be [insert word] and that we need to sacrifice framerate for it. When I play a game, I play it to be entertained. Graphics is something you will get used to. However have a game that looks brilliant but plays like **** is something that isn't worth a damn. Example: Heavenly Sword. Beautiful game, but severely limited by how bad it plays due to the choppy framerate. Many of the scenes are more like playing a slide show. But hey, beautiful graphics are all that matter, right?

You're taking things out of context here, did I ever say I wanted 15fps? Of course there's a baseline for a smooth gameplay experience and that's always been 30fps. 60fps is smoother but so is 120fps. If 30fps is so unplayable then 98% of current gen console game developers would go extinct :LOL:. There's a reason why so many are pushing 30fps with maximum amount of graphical features, it's the best balance, it's the most economical, it's the most accepted. COD is an exception, I'd say majority goes for its noob friendly gameplay and a dude bro shooting gallery nature rather than 60fps check box.

No I'm not. We just have different view points. And there's no point in bringing up 120fps framerates, as that is not really necessary (more to the point, there's an upper threshold what the eye can perceive - not to mention that the television set has to support it too!). The difference between 30fps and 60fps is substantial (especially given the type of game we are discussing here), 60fps to 120fps is not. In other words, the latter is a waste of resources, especially since the signal is limited to 60fps anyway.

The only reason developers are targeting 30fps is because consumers are prone to judging graphics in screenshots and magazine prints - hence, lower framerate, more legroom for graphics = potentially more positive market exposure. Just look at this very topic for a nice example. It has nothing to do with "best-balance" or anything.

As I said - if Sony or Microsoft would enforce a mandatory 60fps policy for all games, we wouldn't even be talking about how much better (or worse) graphics might be if you start sacrificing framerate for visuals. And yes, 30fps is a sacrifice - even if the majority of game-developers are doing it. And for the record, speaking purely about racing games - 60fps is not as uncommon as you think.

No I'm not. We just have different view points. And there's no point in bringing up 120fps framerates, as that is not really necessary (more to the point, there's an upper threshold what the eye can perceive - not to mention that the television set has to support it too!). The difference between 30fps and 60fps is substantial (especially given the type of game we are discussing here), 60fps to 120fps is not. In other words, the latter is a waste of resources, especially since the signal is limited to 60fps anyway.

The only reason developers are targeting 30fps is because consumers are prone to judging graphics in screenshots and magazine prints - hence, lower framerate, more legroom for graphics = potentially more positive market exposure. Just look at this very topic for a nice example. It has nothing to do with "best-balance" or anything.

As I said - if Sony or Microsoft would enforce a mandatory 60fps policy for all games, we wouldn't even be talking about how much better (or worse) graphics might be if you start sacrificing framerate for visuals. And yes, 30fps is a sacrifice - even if the majority of game-developers are doing it. And for the record, speaking purely about racing games - 60fps is not as uncommon as you think.

I think it is not so easy as you make it out. It is not graphics versus gameplay. Often, those two are connected. And especially, if we consider the overall experience you get from playing...graphics are certainly part of it.

Think about a game like Dead Rising 3. It targets 30fps instead of 60fps...but on the other hand you get super massive NPC count on screen...both of which contributes to the gameplay. I would go so far and say that NPC count is far more important for this game than hitting 60fps and that the devs do the right thing. Same goes for other stuff like draw distance or some effects as smoke and explosions which can directly influence gameplay. Or game physics etc etc.

Sure. But we're talking about a racing game here. At the end of the day, everything is at the expense of something since we have limited resources. Graphics for framerate or framerate for complexity. My point is more (and I guess I am in the minority) that a high framerate is something that should be an absolute requirement for all games, as it directly benefits all games. It might benefit some games less but some games more, but on the whole, I can't think of a single game where it wouldn't be nice to have 60fps. The problem is expectations. Due to the large overwhelming majority of 30fps, we have become used to it and therefore it is popular belief that 30fps is enough - and visuals, because it is easier to pinpoint and wow people, are more important. It's a pitty, because would we be used to 60fps games, we would probably criticize 30fps titles immediately because the difference would be so obvious.

And I think it's absurd to be talking about 60 *ugly* fps - since graphics are a moving target. It's only ever ugly because we now know what a 30fps version of it looks like and upping the framerate would come at a trade-off. If they had targeted 60fps from the beginning, we simply wouldn't know.

Joker will undoubtedly love (and refuse to believe) me for saying this, but I miss being a PC gamer. At least there, the people too daft to notice framerates can up the graphics for all I care while the rest of us can make sure the framerate runs sikly smooth for the best possible gaming experience. :devilish:

looks like a current gen game with better lighting,but lacks of AA,detailed car models,environments,not that many cars on screen and is 30fps.

looks like a current gen game with better lighting,but lacks of AA,detailed car models,environments,not that many cars on screen and is 30fps.
Lacks environments!? :???:

And there will be 12 cars on track BTW, with dynamic global illumination. And improvements are still being made.

I think it is not so easy as you make it out. It is not graphics versus gameplay. Often, those two are connected. And especially, if we consider the overall experience you get from playing...graphics are certainly part of it.

Think about a game like Dead Rising 3. It targets 30fps instead of 60fps...but on the other hand you get super massive NPC count on screen...both of which contributes to the gameplay. I would go so far and say that NPC count is far more important for this game than hitting 60fps and that the devs do the right thing. Same goes for other stuff like draw distance or some effects as smoke and explosions which can directly influence gameplay. Or game physics etc etc.
I actually agree with your points here, graphics are more than just high res textures and polygons, they could mean many integral part of the game such as Kratos using Helios head as a lamp lighting up the tunnel etc. 30fps gives the player tons more options and that's definitely a more popular roue for the developers to take.

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2013/09/07/driveclub-hands-on

the driving system of DriveClub is truly unique and made ​​from scratch without taking a cue from any particular game: this is quite true and the feelings have been very good indeed. Without having the claims of the rigid simulation and without being a pure and hard arcade, there is really so much fun to be had while driving cars in Drive Club, being careful not to overdo it because a slight inattention could mean an accident, fortunately without serious damage because, as the developers have indicated, the damage to the car will be purely aesthetic, in order not to excessively penalize players.

Admittedly, I had been preemptively skeptic, but while playing DriveClub I quickly felt at home with the controls, immediately immersed in the spirit of competition with the guys on the other side of the TV, with a succession of races and records that decreed our team as winners (I personally recorded the 6th fastest time).
During the final assault at the best time, our Antonio even tested the capabilities of the Motion Control scheme(as you can see in the video), coming out victorious and with extremely positive feelings, as apparently the SixAxis system has been greatly improved to the point that the smallest movement of the controller was registered by the car. It remains to be seen if this alternate control method will actually be viable for competitive play, but it’s nice to have another option.

After a full day in company of DriveClub we can easily give a first, positive judgment: the game seems to be well-balanced and fun to play, thanks to a driving system which is very tight and responsive in all circumstances

and this :

that a free version of DriveClub (feature complete to the point that even the Platinum trophy can be gained, but with a decreased number of tracks and cars when compared to the full release) will be available for PS+ subscribers.

If you can even get a platinum trophy for it, I see it as no lame ass demo.

Here's thier gameplay video:
apparently they also try out motion sensing. Still watching. Boy, does the game look good here. Depends a lot on TOD, noon TOD looks flat, otherwise it looks great during dawn, sunset, morn,etc. Look at the texture res on the road !

Edit: still says "Alpha code" on the screen. WTH< Evolution, the game si going gold in a month !

Edit 2: the motion sensing starts at 8:55.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back