DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

The PS+ version is supposed to have every feature of the game, just with lesser tracks and cars. So, yes, if the social features are not ready the ps+ version cannot be launched. Bu if some of the cars and tracks were incomplete, then they could launch the psn version.

From the footages we have seen, i think the game just isn't poished enough yet. We haven't seen any mp footage at all either. So much for Cerny's time to triangle :p

I think the time to triangle is probably still correct, the social features are a different scale of programming. Needs a different kind of thinking to do.

If Sony are still working on the OS and there have been changes to the API and underlying libraries it might have a bigger knock on effect to a game like DC that is leveraging social features so much.

So instead of getting some version of DC at launch as a PS+ member I'm getting Contrast instead? I like that very much actually.
Oddly enough if this game isn't released at launch the PS4 won't have exclusive games at release date, which is unheard-of in a PlayStation console or any other console for that matter, afaik. Even the Xbox 360, which was somewhat rushed, had PGR3. I would expect a PS Store exclusive game at launch though, if not it's odd.

Oddly enough if this game isn't released at launch the PS4 won't have exclusive games at release date, which is unheard-of in a PlayStation console or any other console for that matter, afaik. Even the Xbox 360, which was somewhat rushed, had PGR3. I would expect a PS Store exclusive game at launch though, if not it's odd.

If the wiki page on PS4 games is correct then it appears that the ~1/2 of games at launch are either console exclusives, or outright exclusives.

I'm now glad Evolution didn't develop Motorstorm 4 because a delay of that would be been really disappointing, particularly coupled the Watch Dogs delay.

Good news for Microsoft though, who now get to hoover up that hardcore racer crowd who want a nextgen experience as soon as they can get it.

To a certain degree this void will be filled by NFS Rivals .... Driveclub was nowhere near a sim racer ...

Really? What world are you living in? Killzone? Knack? Resogun? Those just off the top of my head, there's more.
My bad, sorry, I was reluctantly unsure to post that but I thought that Driveclub was the main exclusive game at launch. Resogun is a PS Store game afaik, although I got used to not classify store/arcade games as AAA, which is going to change this next generation.

When the PS3 and Xbox 360 were launched those services didn't exist and now we can consider them as contenders, which is a good thing. I am having more fun sometimes with those games than some AAA tbh.

...but I thought that Driveclub was the main exclusive game at launch.
No, Killzone is "the" big exclusive launch game. The only reason people are making a fuss at all about Driveclub is because of the delay. Before yesterday, most people except for racing fans and graphics whores (I'm both, incidentally.. hehe) didn't really care one way or another about it.

On the plus side, the devs did say they wanted to hit 60fps with the game. Maybe the extra few months will give them the chance to optimize the game to where they can do that. I would make it well worth the wait, IMO. I'd gotten the impression that the game was already running at higher than 30fps, they just weren't quite hitting 60.

FYI Killzone is a first party sci fi FPS . Also, Sony is coming out with a PS4 soon :)
:) you got me and certainly made me laugh a lot. I have to admit I haven't been following these games that much as of late -I just read about them in the forums and participate at times-, although I try, but with so many news every day, personal life, etc, you gotta eke out to keep up with everything.

No, Killzone is "the" big exclusive launch game. The only reason people are making a fuss at all about Driveclub is because of the delay. Before yesterday, most people except for racing fans and graphics whores (I'm both, incidentally.. hehe) didn't really care one way or another about it.

On the plus side, the devs did say they wanted to hit 60fps with the game. Maybe the extra few months will give them the chance to optimize the game to where they can do that. I would make it well worth the wait, IMO. I'd gotten the impression that the game was already running at higher than 30fps, they just weren't quite hitting 60.
One game that did this perfectly was Call of Juarez on the Xbox 360. It had a "free" framerate. It never dipped below 30 fps but it could run at 45-50 fps for a lot of time. It never achieved 60 fps afaik though.

That actually annoys me, though... I'd prefer a steady framerate (even if it's lower) than one that fluctuates. That's one thing I'm hearing about Knack that I don't like, is that it's currently running with a variable framerate. I'd rather they just lock it at 30fps. Although now that I think about it, since my TV has a 120Hz refresh rate, I suppose you could run 40fps without stuttering, too. That's just not one of the established "standards" for framerates.

yeah, fixed framerate over variable anyday. I wouldn't mind 30 fps either if they can just add more jazz to the visuals. Use the time wisely and make it an indispensable game. It must have been a difficult decision for Sony to not have a racer on launch when the competition has it.

True. But DC wasn't really direct competition for Forza. They're both racing games, but that's about where the similarity ends. DC is much more arcade-style racing, and all about completing user challenges and such, rather than any type of hardcore simulation.

Sony does have a racer coming up, though... GT6, albeit on PS3 (which I'll be playing the hell out of, incidentally). It'll be interesting to see how it compares to Forza's next-gen effort.

Saw this over at Gaf.

I love the way the glass cracks! And this is a first looks at video captured from the share button.

Looks like debris flying off of the other cars, too.

Also, they made a note on the video:
The sun, the clouds and the ambient lighting inside the car will all look better soon, because we're about to upgrade the lighting and atmospheric optics. When we do, we will share a full race with you. You won't have to wait much longer.

edit: https://twitter.com/DRIVECLUB

Last edited by a moderator:
Back