Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

You can only import objects created by Dreams (by users or Media molecule developers who provide plenty of content).

- You can start by making simple 3D shapes. You can start by a predefined very simple 3D object like a cube or a slab (or import any object from Internet) then you can modify the shape using your controller by grabbing it, you turn around the object and modify the shape / enlarge / reduce it. Then you can apply on the shape any kind of 'textures' (predefined), add color(s) by using different paint tools and then you apply on it any physical property you want (shiny, mat, metallic, reflexive etc.).
- To modify any 3D object you have plenty of ways, you grab it to make larger depending of how you are placed around it, you can erase some parts with a virtual eraser and many more ways to modify the object to make round shapes etc.
- By cloning it while moving in the direction you want using the motion controls you can make a complex object sum of plenty of clones merged into one final (and often bizarre) object (here the move controller are better than the DS4, but you can do anything with DS4 too, the motion controls are just less confortable).
- Once you have this object you save it in order to be useable several times in your dream. Each time you modify it, it'll be updated and updated in your general scene (which will be another scene). Each object saved that way has basic versioning (as well as anything published privately or publicly).
- Any object you create can be enlarged or reduced, as much as you want and everything can be easily moved around in the scene.
- Objects can be grouped to be moved (or modified) easily and then ungrouped.
- For the wings you can do one and clone it with a mirror function to make the second wing.
- Then you can add lighting by physically placing predefined and configurable lighting objects around it.
- Then you add a camera (or more) than can also be configurated.

And of course you can start working on an object you have imported. For instance if you need a chair, house or bridge or even a wall with an effect, texture you like in your game, you simply import one of the many available.

And there are plenty of others ways to create and modifiy 3D objects. Some of them are very creative: remember, you can record anything you do in a scene...which is really powerful.

I hope I answered your question.

Some people in art school or working on videogames or as artist in offline rendering are doing incredible stuff. I know an ex Quantic Dreams artist buying the early access not long ago and here a freelance artist

https://www.artstation.com/mickaelgallo

https://twitter.com/gallo_mickael

img_2024.jpg

Models are a collection of basic primitive volumetric shapes such as: spheres, cilinders, cubes, cones, etc. added and subtracted from each other. These models are not made out of polygonal meshes nor 2D textures like something you'd get out of 3DSmax or other traditional software. They are made out of 3D volumes encoded as distance field functions. As such, round stuff is infinetly round, complex boolean subtractions are relatively cheap, and they support smooth edge "connecting" of shapes (put too spheres next to each other with smooth addition on, and they'll distort near each other untill they blend like a pair of cells during mitosis)
This modeling style frees the user from worrying about UV maps, but it requires a completely different way of thinking about texturing. Each shape has their own color, and you can add other shapes as color modifiers, as in, they don't add any volume to the model, but change the color of what they intersect. Those are also volumetric, so they don't modify just one surface, but all surfaces within their volume bounds, and even the inside of the model that can be later revealed if you subtract from it with another shape.
Normalmaps are also not a thing, all surface bumps are actually modeled geometrically.

Last edited:
Models are a collection of basic primitive volumetric shapes such as: spheres, cilinders, cubes, cones, etc. added and subtracted from each other. These models are not made out of polygonal meshes nor 2D textures like something you'd get out of 3DSmax or other traditional software. They are made out of 3D volumes encoded as distance field functions. As such, round stuff is infinetly round, complex boolean subtractions are relatively cheap, and they support smooth edge "connecting" of shapes (put too spheres next to each other with smooth addition on, and they'll distort near each other untill they blend like a pair of cells during mitosis)
This modeling style frees the user from worrying about UV maps, but it requires a completely different way of thinking about texturing. Each shape has their own color, and you can add other shapes as color modifiers, as in, they don't add any volume to the model, but change the color of what they intersect. Those are also volumetric, so they don't modify just one surface, but all surfaces within their model, and even the inside of the model rhat can be later revealed if you subtract from it with another shape.
Normalmaps are also not a thing, all surface bumps are actually modeled geometrically.

This is something very cool.

They said in the Alex Evans video they changed the rendering and now use a mix of the brick engine(raymarching cube) and point splatting, too much holes with pure point splatting.

https://www.scratchapixel.com/lessons/advanced-rendering/rendering-distance-fields

Great article about sphere tracing and rendering distance fields

And the 2015 SIGGRAPH Media Molecule presentation

http://media.lolrus.mediamolecule.com/AlexEvans_SIGGRAPH-2015.pdf

Last edited:
takedown order from nintendo coming in 5 4 3 2 ...
I dopnt even know why ppl do these nintendo games as they know they will have to remove them, perhaps thats the reason?

So this mario character was created out of 'blobs' in the dreams program and its animated with a skeleton in the dreams program, all very impressive

I dopnt even know why ppl do these nintendo games

Not everyone is creative. There's challenge and satisfaction in replicating something this way. Pretty much how learned some half arsed programming. A whole half arse than I would have done otherwise. :D

Not everyone is creative. There's challenge and satisfaction in replicating something this way. Pretty much how learned some half arsed programming. A whole half arse than I would have done otherwise. :D

I remember an indie talking about how to enter the game industry and he told replicating a game is a good exercice...

Last edited:
I dopnt even know why ppl do these nintendo games as they know they will have to remove them, perhaps thats the reason?
Doesn't matter. The experience, the learning, is there, and the proof of the abilities of Dreams is there. There's the free recognition if that's what they were after. Indie games that get take-downs for big-brand IP infringement have a far higher chance of getting media coverage than indie games trying to peddle their own unknown IP.

My guess here though is someone just wanted to see if M64's controls could be created, and they are, and that's amazing after LBP's awful floaty physics. Recreating something proven to work eliminates some variables when it comes to trying to create an interface. New IP based on such controls would be the second step.

Indie games that get take-downs for big-brand IP infringement have a far higher chance of getting media coverage than indie games trying to peddle their own unknown IP.
Yes thats why I wrote 'perhaps thats the reason?'
they do it knowing fullwell this will attract the attention of Nintendo etc

hmmm I wonder if its not too late to replace one of the main characters in my game with Mario? While I'm at it I could put in a naked Donald Trump perhaps :yes: Its what the public wants to see

Yes thats why I wrote 'perhaps thats the reason?'
they do it knowing fullwell this will attract the attention of Nintendo etc

hmmm I wonder if its not too late to replace one of the main characters in my game with Mario? While I'm at it I could put in a naked Donald Trump perhaps :yes: Its what the public wants to see

Yep. It's marketing trick.

Btw making stuff in dreams with ps moves actually pretty tiring...

KB + M support would be pretty nice.

Back