Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

I was watching the PlayStation VR panel at PSX last night and they've got a guy from MM on it. He says they're experimenting with PSVR but that they don't have anything that's ready to show yet.

Sounds like a given that this will have some compatibility with PSVR.
Should be really great for sculpting. :eek:
Cannot wait to sculpt silly things and export for other programs.

23563983121_902162c017_o.png

23018239694_d1e8a27d87_o.png

23350716350_4352b5381f_o.png

23019349263_dce65d3d47_o.png

23646407605_b033fb4ee8_o.png

Some PNG from the game

http://dreams.mediamolecule.com

New gif in the press kit

There is "Download media kit" link on the site, but it gives "We're sorry, but this service is not available in your location" error to me :(

https://mobile.twitter.com/mmalex/status/674619787331420160

Interesting froxel refinement from the refinement renderer the last renderer Alex Evans tried before the choice of point rendering will maybe do a come back into the current rendering engine of Dreams.No shadow maps maybe perfect shadows like in the refinement renderer. It the same thing than SDF secondary ray shadow rendering like in EPIC demo but for primary ray shadow rendering. :)

Last edited:
GOING DREAMSURFING WITH MEDIA MOLECULE

A closer look at Media Molecule's wildly ambitious new game.

“Dreamsurfing” is the term Media Molecule uses to describe moving from one dream to another in unbroken succession through different aesthetics and genres; a journey through an eccentric subconscious. It’s a fitting new word, as Dreams is shaping up to be the most startlingly original and ambitious game to come out of the studio thus far.

“Dreamsurfing allows us to do something expressive and it means we’re not tied to only one particular time zone and type of character,” says Media Molecule director Siobhan Reddy, as we watch Molecule artist Maja-Lisa Kehlet dreamsurf with two glowing PlayStation Move controllers. “I’m personally so excited about what we’re going to do because I don’t know yet. We have at our fingertips a really powerful tool. We can experiment with this experience - and that’s so exciting.”

Throughout our conversation, Reddy throws out words like “dreamsurfing,” “flow state” and “jamming”: the sort of esoteric terminology you’d expect from a musician, not a first party video game developer. But as I watched Kehlet begin to jam, pulling out pre-created assets to flesh out the bare bones of a forest scene with two little on-screen teardrops - Dreams’ “imps” - the lingo began to click into place. How else could you describe this weird, harmonious remixing?

“We have a few guiding principles with Dreams,” says Reddy. “At the end of LittleBigPlanet 2 we wanted to side-step where we were going with user-generated-content and get on a new path, and we wanted that new path to be more about self-expression. When we looked at the screen, when artists were making themes and characters, we wanted people’s style to be able to come through.”

A good theme to anchor this goal, Media Molecule decided, was “dreams”. After all, they are the most personal thing one can experience, and their abstract makeup can inspire incredible artistic expression.

“We wanted people to be able sketch their dreams like a dream journal, but in a place where you could actually recreate it digitally,” says Reddy. “In order to be able to do something like that you need to get in a flow state, so that’s why we use the word ‘performance’, as it’s the closest analogy we have of that.”

Watching Kehlet at work is indeed mesmerising. As she populates a forest with trees, she begins to turn them upside down, their hollow bases sticking out of the ground. “We call these happy accidents,” says Reddy.

“One of the things that excites me about Dreams is watching someone play it. Because they’re in this flow state, it’s so interesting to watch. Game development has never been that interesting to watch.”

http://iris.theaureview.com/intervi...pproach-to-dreams-and-the-importance-of-play/

Another good interview about Dreams of shioban Reddy and Alex Moyebt. Very funny one third of the company was hired into the LBP1 community...

Siobhan: We got a real sense of that from LBP1. We ended up hiring a third of our company from that community
Siobhan: So the mech level of Dreams in the demo was by a builder, John, who had a building company. He got LBP and started to build within that universe, and he became a really beloved creator. And the community actually petitioned us to interview him, we just got all of these e-mails so we just started a chat with him. I’ll never forget John coming to the studio, because he arrived and he was really nervous and what he didn’t realise was that we were equally as excited to meet him. He knew the tools and was doing things we had never even imagined, he took them to a completely different place. He is now one of our strongest designers, his style really comes through within Dreams.

The game impressed people from Disney and Pixar

“When we were in the USA we were showing people from Pixar and Disney and other studios, and they were were all impressed - it’s a new and strong way to create. So that was a great validation for all of us. Even the people using high-end tools are looking at what we’re doing at seeing it as real innovation. On the other end, there’s the non-technical people like 2D illustrators and on the theatre side, or acoustic musicians, and they have a different level of interest. Because for many of them, they’ve not been able to get their heads around complex menus or creating with a mouse before. And this is giving them a way to understand the digital space and make something that looks beautiful.”

I was watching one of their YouTube videos that included this "dream". It's really beautiful and completely looks like a 3D painting. MediaMolecule are really making something quite stunning with this software. I'm reluctant to call it a "game" at this stage because I haven't really seen anything that screams traditional game dynamics so far.

To anyone interested, they've uploaded loads of different videos with lots of other developers giving their views during live demos of the creation aspect. Everyone is suitable impressed with what they see.

One of the demos made mention of the Playstation VR (again) and they suggested that they're working on it. They also made mention that people were surprised that some dreams were in 60hz and some in even 120hz. I meant to link it here with the timestamp but I didn't get round to it.

Here:

Between 1min and 2mins they said that they got it running at 60hz, then 120hz (native), then they included a 30fps "Playroom" feed.

Guaranteed to be PSVR with the social screen. Some at native 120hz too, it's just incredible.

Maybe someone mentioned it but a real application for this I have been thinking about is shorter VFX for adverts or other video based signs and posters. I thought of this while waiting at the dentist, they have a (huge, totally unnecessary pioneer kuro) plasma screen in the waiting hall showing various crappy videos of the clinic etc and I thought, this would look so much better if some guy ran it through Dreams!

Dreams: the dentists' choice.

Last edited:
Here:

Between 1min and 2mins they said that they got it running at 60hz, then 120hz (native), then they included a 30fps "Playroom" feed.

Guaranteed to be PSVR with the social screen. Some at native 120hz too, it's just incredible.

I take that as him talking about PSVR in general & not about Dreams.

Maybe someone mentioned it but a real application for this I have been thinking about is shorter VFX for adverts or other video based signs and posters. I thought of this while waiting at the dentist, they have a (huge, totally unnecessary pioneer kuro) plasma screen in the waiting hall showing various crappy videos of the clinic etc and I thought, this would look so much better if some guy ran it throw Dreams!

Dreams: the dentists' choice.