Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2013]

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't agree...

it's pretty obviuos that ps3 has less jaggies...

It's minorly better in some areas and majorly worse in others. And overall both are still horrible.

Take a look at the detail that is lost in the wires and the towers in the background of the PS3 shot you linked. As well, look at Lara's shoulder. The arm is bad as well. But the lower contrast between Lara's skin on her forearm and the background lessens the visibility of the aliasing. On the other hand the extremely high contrast on the X360 shot in that same area serves to show every nuance of the aliasing. Despite that the upper arm is still better aliased on the 360 version. The tree is also better AA'd on the tree trunk for the PS3 shot. But if the 360 didn't suffer from so much black crush and hence extremely high contrast, it would look pretty similar.

So, yes, they are using different AA methods. Both of which are horrendous to me. But are probably the best they could do on consoles.

Regards,
SB

I just can't get over how blurry the 360 version is. Whatever AA they're using needs to be dragged into the street and shot.

PS3 version is definitely sharper overall all things considered. Also the black crush on the 360 needs to go away period on Durango, it could be vomit inducing sometimes.

I'm 50/50 on both console versions tombraider.

+ Ps3 - No black crush
+ 360 - better lighting
+ Ps3 - Clearer picture quality
+ 360 - smoother edges

I think you're confusing an incorrect gamma with better lighting. If you want the same effect, set your PS3 to RGB Full 0-255 and your TV to Limited 16-235 (and no, I don't actually recommend doing this).

well, the colors look richer in these shots which is why i said it. if it's a gamma thing going on, both consoles have settings that can change that. however in these particular screens one is darker with richer colors and the other is lighter.

Gamma greatly affects color luminance since gamma is essentially a series of luminance targets, which can make colors look richer or washed out. AFAIK, Crystal Dynamcs developed the 360 version and NIXXES developed the PS3/PC versions. I don't think CD compensated for the 360's incorrect gamma output. That's probably why the PS3 and PC versions look similar and the 360 version has crushed blacks.

Other than the odd times where MLAA falls apart, the PS3 version has the clear edge for IQ IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gamma greatly affects color luminance since gamma is essentially a series of luminance targets, which can make colors look richer or washed out.

hmmm, yeah. there are some titles that black crush can be reducible on 360, Deus ex is one of them because it uses it's own gamma adjuster it can conflict with 360's custom settings. tombraider i'm unable to check cause i only have the PC version at the moment.

for tombraider i see 50/50 in both of them, sharper IQ on ps3, and 360 shows also some extra highlights on lara. (if you check quite a few of the shots.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back