Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2013]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by helio, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scently

Regular

Why won't MS provide low level access?

2. joesiv

Newcomer

While I'm not saying they won't, I could see why they wouldn't. Getting developers to use DirectX for Xbox development also reenforces their whole DirectX platform which includes windows games. By providing low level access, they provide developers ways of avoiding DirectX use all together.

3. KKRT

Veteran

Backward compatibility in future.

4. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

And device compatibility (eg. Surface Pro, future Windows XBox store maybe).

5. scently

Regular

These are all speculation right?

6. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

I suppose so, but why else do you limit your console's performance to a fat API while trying to build an ecosystem based on that same API in other sectors? ;) Note we had a developer a month or three back saying MS is not allowing low-level access

7. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Of course. :) Every single thing every single person is saying in here is based on rumors and incomplete information. Whether they think Durango will be good or will be bad, they are all speculating.

Regards,
    SB

8. scently

Regular

Well the 360 uses dx9+ and despite this, they didn't restrict dev from having low level access. And where is this dev quote? would like to read it.

9. Silent_Buddha

Legend

IIRC, it was something early in the life of the X360. As well it was likely either a misunderstanding of what was said to the interviewer or a misunderstanding on the part of the person being interviewed.

We've had multiple developers here that have mentioned going quite low level with the X360. Sebbbi for one I believe has done quite a bit with regards to what could be considered low level hardware access.

I believe most developers choose not to do so just because the development tools on X360 were so good and there aren't as many performance cliffs that you can stumble across compared to PS3.

Regards,
    SB

10. scently

Regular

Oh I do understand all that. Infact there is a thread that dealt with the issue of low level access on 360. From several of the comments above, it seems as if its been said somewhere that durango would not allow such low level access. I was just challenging Shifty's assertion about the implications of using dx11 on durango. My point being that even if they are using dx11 on durango, it will be similar to the one on pc as an api layer but how thick, heavy and flexible it will be will probably be very different as I suspect that the dx11.1x on the durango will expose the underlying hardware while possibly providing access to devs to go lower level if they feel like it.

What I am saying in essence is that durango, for example, will probably dx11 in the same way that it will use the same windows 8 kernel as pc but it is not the same as the full fat one on pc.

11. dagamer

Veteran

What exactly is "low level access" anyway? What could possibly be simpler than executing draw triangle commands via the DirectX API besides just filling registers with data?

12. ERP

ERP Moderator
    Moderator Veteran

It's a but more complicated than that these days.
    You wouldn't believe how complicated the hardware that sets up shader constants is....
    Having said that the idea of low level access is somewhat overrated, IMO there is far more performance in optimizing your data for the platform than there is in some mystical low level access.
    The somewhat larger issue is how multiple applications and the OS rendering requirements are handled.

13. dagamer

Veteran

Isn't there some programming law anyway that says something like "given more and more power, the energy needed to extract those last bits of performance goes up exponentially" or am I just misremembering Ahmdal's law?

14. MBDF

Newcomer

Maybe because a certain other console won't be going that route.

And it sounds as though Sony will be providing different levels of access depending on the comfort and/or willingness of the devs to go deeper or not.

15. Rangers

Legend

Doesn't make intuitive sense. Given more and more power, you become less concerned about extracting "last bits" anyway. Given an ocean of power, 95% of it is good enough, you dont need to chase that last 5%.

It's interesting to think about. A lot of the work on PS360 is extracting that last 5%, because they arent powerful enough. Weirdly, I have thought next gen could in some ways decrease dev effort, not increase it.

How much of 600 people on Assassins Creed are dedicated to squeezing one more ounce out of the aging, constrained, 360 for their super ambitious game? Arent frame rates often in the 20's for that game?

I saw a recent Sweeney interview where he talked about some promising algorithm needing 20 teraflops to efficiently implement, vs the "1-2 teraflops" we currently have (matches with next gen consoles). Need for next-next gen already confirmed,

Anyway, already OT...

16. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Not much. I'd be surprised if the engine team numbered greater than say 20 people.

Everyone else is mostly there for art, animation, modeling, level design, etc.

Regards,
    SB

17. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Couldn't find it, so it's just the realm of rumour at the moment. You're right that potentially MS could release a console that isn't compatible with the rest of their infrastructure, but I'm with Joker in thinking MS are setting up for a platform other than a console. As my speculation.

18. Rangers

Legend

19. patsu

Legend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law

20. dagamer

Veteran

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.