Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

The economies of using your own engine are very different though. Particularly, if you need new staff and no-one knows your system, you have entire training process for everyone, versus hiring experienced UE developers. Plus maintaining your engine with top-tier engineers who then want to leave and you have to find replacements. It was far more plausible back in the day when 1) there wasn't a de facto engine everyone knew and 2) engines were simpler to develop and maintain. Edit: 3) Also often they were single platform! No maintaining cross-platform compatibility and just targeting one single hardware config; not even a Pro version.

I think a bunch of people are longing unrealistically for a reality that can't exist. May as well take a horse-drawn carriage to travel into town - even if you like the idea, it just won't work on current roads with current traffic. (Subverted car analogy FTW!)

Last edited:
The economies of using your own engine are very different though. Particularly, if you need new staff and no-one knows your system, you have entire training process for everyone, versus hiring experienced UE developers. Plus maintaining your engine with top-tier engineers who then want to leave and you have to find replacements. It was far more plausible back in the day when 1) there wasn't a de facto engine everyone knew and 2) engines were simpler to develop and maintain.

I think a bunch of people are longing unrealistically for a reality that can't exist. May as well take a horse-drawn carriage to travel into town - even if you like the idea, it just won't work on current roads with current traffic. (Subverted car analogy FTW!)
I think would be easier trying to solve traversal stutter than making that all new engine and keeping it up to date.

Seeing less and less advantages to building your own engine unless there are features there that just don’t exist elsewhere.

Bring back custom engines ! people can complain about custom engines like TLOU Part 1, GoW Ragnarok or Spider-man on PC (but it runs worse than PS5 with this GPU so the port is bad!) but at least those games are less buggy and run with less problems / stutters (when you have a powerful CPU) than those UE5 games.

Spending $3000 dollars and still have you favorite games plagued with unavoidable stutters is awful.
The companies that made the games you mentioned also have a lot of engineers, some of which are veterans with 10+ years of experience. Those are the people that you need to remove stutters from your game. Companies jumping on UE are often smaller and have a different ration of artists vs engineers (e.g. the makers of kena bridge of spirits was a company that mainly made commercials). Those companies often can't make a custom engine, and if they did you will get a game with outdated graphic features that still has stutters. And they sure lack the experience to make a stutter free game of UE. I think that if it was not for UE (or unity) those companies wouldn't make games at all.

Bring back custom engines ! people can complain about custom engines like TLOU Part 1, GoW Ragnarok or Spider-man on PC (but it runs worse than PS5 with this GPU so the port is bad!) but at least those games are less buggy and run with less problems / stutters (when you have a powerful CPU) than those UE5 games.

Those 3 games ran like ass on PC and were plauged with problems so may e not the best examples to use.

Maybe not so much "bring back custom engines" as "long live custom engines."

Their existence in the industry, even if increasingly rare, helps to cast a light on the shortcomings of industry standard engines such as UE5. Hopefully this can play a part in killing the mindset of "well, this is just the way it is and there's nothing we can do" which can all too easily plague any industry or culture.

Johns call out on I Butter The Bread With Butter will be assumed by many to be a joke, seems John may have a taste for the heavier stuff ;) Wonder if he does Japanese metal, someone should get him an X Japan shirt to wear on a video. I'm sure it wont end up with him being accused of some xbox bias ;)

Johns call out on I Butter The Bread With Butter will be assumed by many to be a joke, seems John may have a taste for the heavier stuff ;) Wonder if he does Japanese metal, someone should get him an X Japan shirt to wear on a video. I'm sure it wont end up with him being accused of some xbox bias ;)
*We
Gets even better when you mix it with some Eskimo Callboy

Back