Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

Bring back custom engines ! people can complain about custom engines like TLOU Part 1, GoW Ragnarok or Spider-man on PC (but it runs worse than PS5 with this GPU so the port is bad!) but at least those games are less buggy and run with less problems / stutters (when you have a powerful CPU) than those UE5 games.

Spending $3000 dollars and still have you favorite games plagued with unavoidable stutters is awful.
Agree with the bold. Unreal Engine has not been it for 3 straight iterations. 3 was rough on consoles, 4 was rough on consoles and now 5 is rough on consoles. The simple fact of the matter is that EPIC cannot be trusted to created a performant game engine and I don't blame them. Their engine is general purpose used for games, movies, etc. They only have a finite amount of resources and need to balance the concerns of their users. Furthermore, publishers should refrain from handing the power over to EPIC by foregoing their engines because it'll burn them in the long run. Every major publisher should have their own technology stack which they maintain. It's good for the industry as it increases the variety of solutions, increases the amount of jobs, etc. Giving EPIC an engine monopoly would be most unfortunate.

I do think that Epic have lost sight over the years by trying to become more versatile for use in multiple industries. I also selfishly think that going multiplatform with the engine to support consoles has also been hugely detrimental to the engine in some ways.

However, I'm not so naive as to not understand that the entire reason why they've been able to push real-time graphics as far as they have, is by doing exactly that. Performance improvements have come from pushing the engine to support multiple platforms and scale as low as possible. We can't say what things would be like if they had chosen a different path.. but we CAN push for things to get better. You get the right people speaking up about major issues, and gears begin to set in motion. We all just have to speak up, and if need be, speak with our wallets.

Every major publisher should have their own technology stack which they maintain. It's good for the industry as it increases the variety of solutions, increases the amount of jobs, etc. Giving EPIC an engine monopoly would be most unfortunate.
Except for the economy as mentioned before. You need new devs for a project? You have to hire them, and then train them on your bespoke engine. That experience is now not portable to another engine. You want top-tier engineers who can create that engine? Hard to come by. And engineers who can maintain it over repeated cycles? And what if your tech stack works great for some games like shooters, and then you have a studio wanting to make a platformer or something else?

Every major publisher has come to the same decision. Some even tried their own "we'll use this in-house engine for all our studios" strategy. Either they are all incredibly dumb and don't realise they are throwing money away using the world's largest engines, or they were hypnotised by a secret Epic subliminal message, or they all came to the same conclusion - even super experienced studios like Sony's.

Anyone has the tweet or clip of someone from DF explaining that all the zooms are mostly for mobile users who constitute a huge part of their viewership?
They've said that in at least a few videos and it's completely true. At least when viewing on an iPhone 13 screen I mostly can't see any difference in PS5/PS5 Pro IQ comparions without lots of zooming. But on a 27in 1440p monitor the Pro is obviously superior with no zoom at all, even in the compressed videos and screenshots I've seen. This might have contributed to the Pro's poor reception. People watch the reveal on their phones, think "it looks the same", then they show it zoomed and people think " yea but I don't play games at 300% zoom". Well you also don't play PS5 games on a phone but that point is somehow lost.

They've said that in at least a few videos and it's completely true. At least when viewing on an iPhone 13 screen I mostly can't see any difference in PS5/PS5 Pro IQ comparions without lots of zooming. But on a 27in 1440p monitor the Pro is obviously superior with no zoom at all, even in the compressed videos and screenshots I've seen. This might have contributed to the Pro's poor reception. People watch the reveal on their phones, think "it looks the same", then they show it zoomed and people think " yea but I don't play games at 300% zoom". Well you also don't play PS5 games on a phone but that point is somehow lost.
Yeah, I'm just trying to find at least one clip or tweet of them saying it. I know that's exactly why they do it and it's completely justified. Even when they zoom in on a phone, I can't really see the difference. On a computer monitor though? They don't need to. I see it right away.

Potentially interesting thing I noticed while looking at the Until Dawn Steamdb page.. It appears that Nixxes may have, or may now be potentially helping them with future patching. They seem to have their own branch.

1729202939981.png

I think it's a new development because Nixxes didn't have a specific branch before this that I'm aware of.

Back