Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The easiest way to get rid of anti rt weirdos is to say lumen is RT.

It's a far more optimized and consumer oriented version of path tracing for some of the most obvious features of RT like lighting. The fact that we are getting it essentially baked into an engine regardless of if you have hardware good at RT or not cannot be overstated in its significance

You can call me crazy in a few years if I'm wrong, but software lumen is gonna be an absolute game changer and do the absolute most out of any current solution to bring RT into the mainstream of gaming.

I think you’ll be right. Lumen will hopefully usher in the era of dynamic GI everywhere and reset people’s expectations of what games should look like. It’s an RT Trojan horse.

darn, the mod @Dictator works really really well. FSR2 looks quite worse than Intel XeSS on my rig. Intel XeSS has an issue with the fonts of the game's menus, they shimmer. Other than that...the IQ improves.

FSR2 Balanced vs XeSS Balanced (don't mind the tonemapped image from HDR to SDR)

https://imgsli.com/MTY1Njgx

FSR2 Quality vs XeSS Quality (tonemapped image from HDR to SDR). The quality difference here is perhaps more pronounced.

Vegetation density and texture definition are the main differences I see. This is using DF optimised settings.

Last edited:
darn, the mod @Dictator works really really well. FSR2 looks quite worse than Intel XeSS on my rig. Intel XeSS has an issue with the fonts of the game's menus, they shimmer. Other than that...the IQ improves.

No that's across Xess/FSR/DLSS, it's because it's a mod and it's using jittering to make it work, and it can't separate out the UI from that process atm. All reconstruction methods will suffer from this to some degree.

For me using DLSS it's barely noticeable, I've seen some videos of it with the inventory overlay causing significant trails but that's likely because they're using DLSS 3.1 with the default preset which has increased ghosting over DLSS 2.5.1, which is what I use. DLSS 2.5.1 seems to handle objects without motion vectors the best ime.

this was my most expected update in a long time, and I purchased Elden Ring pretty late hoping for a RT update. I am going to test it for the sake of it, but this update doesn't make the cut, and I am not going to use RT. Intel released new drivers to work with Elden Ring RT but meh.

No that's across Xess/FSR/DLSS, it's because it's a mod and it's using jittering to make it work, and it can't separate out the UI from that process atm. All reconstruction methods will suffer from this to some degree.

For me using DLSS it's barely noticeable, I've seen some videos of it with the inventory overlay causing significant trails but that's likely because they're using DLSS 3.1 with the default preset which has increased ghosting over DLSS 2.5.1, which is what I use. DLSS 2.5.1 seems to handle objects without motion vectors the best ime.
oh well, that kinda explains it. I tend to blame everything on Intel being "new" into desktop GPUs but this again has proved me wrong.

On a similar note, Resident Evil 8 works with the same mod.... I wonder if DLSS or XeSS can eliminate the horrendous shimmering and aliasing on certain parts of the game, like when you enter the castle and the first room with the gold ornate furniture, among other places.

oh well, that kinda explains it. I tend to blame everything on Intel being "new" into desktop GPUs but this again has proved me wrong.

On a similar note, Resident Evil 8 works with the same mod.... I wonder if DLSS or XeSS can eliminate the horrendous shimmering and aliasing on certain parts of the game, like when you enter the castle and the first room with the gold ornate furniture, among other places.

It has the same problem with bloom as every other RE engine game with this mod which hopefully will be fixed (or you can just disable it), but ime in testing outside of that, definitely yes.

As you mention the gold/brasswork in the mansion in particular really struggled with interlaced mode, it's excellent with DLSS. Much sharper of course, but also more stable than even the PS5 which unlike the RE4 Remake, uses interlaced mode quite effectively. Outside of the issues with post process, DLSS is amazing in RE8.

With RT it's basically a 30fps experience. But this mode should work pretty well on the Pro consoles.
We don't know anything about any hypothetical pro consoles. And people much more technically minded than me seem to think there isn't a big enough leap in amd technology to make a leap from 30 to 60 for something like this. Which essentially just leaves us with a lot of questions

Its cool that they dip theirs toes in RT water, but why this comes at costs of not fixing other technical issues that were highlighted for so long is beyond me. I understand if they fixed all performance issues implemented good upscaling tech (FSR,DLSS) and reached point of "hey we have a lot of power to spare lets slap RT on this bad boy" i would be in heaven. BUT nothing got fixed, they just added RT on top of the pile of broken things and hey its DONE! .... Really? 11 milions or dunno how many copies sold, game of the year etc etc ... this is embarrassing stuff. WTF guys.

I'm not suggesting it's as streamlined as the experience you'd get on a console. Only that it qualifies for the description "grabbing a controller and gaming comfortably from the couch, combined with the low-maintenance, instant-on aspect."
You wouldn't notice unless you've tried to use a PC exclusively with a controller by you would be surprised as how many games you can't. You cannot play Skyrim or Fallout 4 exclusively with a controller. Pretty much no Bethesda Games Studio games and I don't expect Starfield to be any different.

Its cool that they dip theirs toes in RT water, but why this comes at costs of not fixing other technical issues that were highlighted for so long is beyond me. I understand if they fixed all performance issues implemented good upscaling tech (FSR,DLSS) and reached point of "hey we have a lot of power to spare lets slap RT on this bad boy" i would be in heaven. BUT nothing got fixed, they just added RT on top of the pile of broken things and hey its DONE! .... Really? 11 milions or dunno how many copies sold, game of the year etc etc ... this is embarrassing stuff. WTF guys.
On consoles I think the performance is really decent for what's the engine is pushing at native >1620p + such high draw distance and decent FOV in the framerate mode. My main technical problem currently is the vegetation pop-in on PS5. It can really get ugly and detract from the experience. This is where the PS4 game running on PS5 paradoxically really shines but unfortunately the image clarity takes a big hit in that version.

But as you say at least they try having some experience with RT, the sooner the better. I think RT shadows bring a lot in Elden Ring even if it's still for now too costly (notably combined with RTAO).

You wouldn't notice unless you've tried to use a PC exclusively with a controller by you would be surprised as how many games you can't. You cannot play Skyrim or Fallout 4 exclusively with a controller. Pretty much no Bethesda Games Studio games and I don't expect Starfield to be any different.

I play ALL my games exclusively with a controller.

Specifically I played Skyrim end to end exclusively with a controller and I know I've played at least a couple of other Bethesda games in the same way. Any game that supports a controller (which today is all games) should be exclusively controllable via that controller.

What aspects of Skyrim couldn't you use a controller for? It's been a while since I played it s perhaps I'm misremembering something.

Note, of course there will be older games that didn't properly support controllers which won't be subject to the above. But if we're comparing the "couch experience" that's possible with a current gen console vs a PC, then I'm excluding anything that strays specifically into "this is something you could only do on a PC territory" like running 10 year old games, modding, PC levels of customisation etc.... i.e. can you get a "PS5 like" experience with a a modern PC that has been pre-configured to deliver it.

Also just wanted to note that @Flappy Pannus suggestion of Playnite was an excellent one. I've already replaced GoG with it as my main interface. The Big Screen interface is IMO actually nicer to use than the PS5 one based on Johns video of that here, and worlds ahead of Steams attempt. It even lets me launch my emulated ROMs as if they were locally installed PC titles complete with retro box art!

I play ALL my games exclusively with a controller.

Specifically I played Skyrim end to end exclusively with a controller and I know I've played at least a couple of other Bethesda games in the same way. Any game that supports a controller (which today is all games) should be exclusively controllable via that controller.
No, because there is no onscreen keyboard, you literally need a keyboard to input your character's name. I used this example specifically to highlight that you probably use don't realise the times when you do need to reach for your keyboard. That's why when you look at these games on Steam they are listed as "Partial controller support". A lot of games only have partial controller support.

It's more than you think. Not jus tgames, but just in general to keep Windows, stores, clients and games updated. I tried to go keyboardless for my PC connected to my TV but my Logitech K400 is never far away.

No, because there is no onscreen keyboard, you literally need a keyboard to input your character's name. I used this example specifically to highlight that you probably use don't realise the times when you do need to reach for your keyboard. That's why when you look at these games on Steam they are listed as "Partial controller support". A lot of games only have partial controller support.

It's more than you think. Not jus tgames, but just in general to keep Windows, stores, clients and games updated. I tried to go keyboardless for my PC connected to my TV but my Logitech K400 is never far away.
I have the same challenge. I do try to controller it and big picture mode helps especially on the big screen, but keyboard can’t be too far away. The typing stuff is never quite there.

I have the same challenge. I do try to controller it and big picture mode helps especially on the big screen, but keyboard can’t be too far away. The typing stuff is never quite there.
I spent a stupid amount of time when I build my living room PC in 2016 trying to achieve this. I carefully configured Windows to auto-on/off at night to allow time for 'background downloads', I setup automated and timed scripts to start/stop clients to trigger updates and lots of other things but you can't even get close to losing the keyboard and it never works for long across windows updates.

And the amount of games that can't be used solely with a controller is LOOOOONG, thank you Steam for listing all games with "partial controller support".

You guys know Steam has an on screen keyboard, right? Make sure you have Steam Input configured for your controller and I believe the default setting is to click both sticks to bring up the KB.

Ok fair enough. Once for 20 seconds at the very start of a 200 hour+ 12 year old game, you do need a keyboard to type in your character name. You've got me there. However the overwhelming majority of modern (i.e. released since this generation of consoles started) games can be played exclusively with a controller, for any that can't, just avoid them if couch/controller play is your no1 priority. You won't be missing out on much content at all in the grand scheme of things.

Windows, game clients and games all update themselves. They may occasionally need a mouse click to say "ok", "update now", "restart" etc... but that's where the Controller Companion that I mentioned earlier in this topic comes in which allows your controller to emulate the mouse (and at a push the keyboard) - that's key to this, and I grant without that you will indeed be reaching for the mouse now and then. Also something like Playnite seems to bypass the game clients to a certain degree. As mentioned above for example, if Steam is sitting in that state of "I need a restart because I updated myself" - which it does a lot to be fair. Playnite will still launch the Steam game without you ever seeing the Steam interface.

I'm not trying to argue that you can literally bin your keyboard and mouse here, of course there will be occasions you need it, or at least it's more convenient to use it, ever with the controller companion. But if you are interested in modern, console style couch gaming only, and have no interest/need to go outside of that into the PC's more versatile function set, then it's very feasible to setup a PC so that your general gaming sessions are a case of "power up", "pick up control pad", "Sit on couch", "play".

And the amount of games that can't be used solely with a controller is LOOOOONG, thank you Steam for listing all games with "partial controller support".

It might be long but it's also wrong. Lol at some of those games. AC: Valhalla? I'm literally playing through it now and can absolutely guarantee it fully supports control pad and there is no need whatsoever to use a mouse and keyboard with it. Ditto for Red Dead, Doom Eternal and Cyberpunk - basically every game in that list that I own within the first 2 mouse scrolls. So I assume most of the others are similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back