Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other side Battlefield 2042 with 128 players, lots of action, vehicles, destruction, some ray tracing has 200 fps with the highest settings in CPU limit.

At 24 minutes both PCs seem to be missing the heat distortion effect. Either that or the PS5 is rendering the alpha at a super low resolution causing aliasing. Seems like the former though.

With 16GB VRAM there is a 3.2GB APP and OS pool and a 12GB VRAM pool. That explains why you need 16GB in 4K.

Last edited:
On the other side Battlefield 2042 with 128 players, lots of action, vehicles, destruction, some ray tracing has 200 fps with the highest settings in CPU limit.
Battlefield 2042 should not be used as a reference to anything but a bad game. It’s technically poor and from a gameplay standpoint, it’s even poorer. That game had ridiculous issues at launch both on pc and console.

Battlefield 2042 should not be used as a reference to anything but a bad game. It’s technically poor and from a gameplay standpoint, it’s even poorer. That game had ridiculous issues at launch both on pc and console.
Lol, I think it's one of the rare games that managed to infamous "Overwhelmingly Negative" on Steam. I haven't seen a game get it since then.

Let's us give credit where it is due. At any rate, it's currently running excellently. When you think about how much CPU power is needed here and what other more ambitious games like Battlefield 2042 manage on the same CPUs. There are worlds between them. With CPU use you can do a lot wrong or optimise a lot right.

Last edited:
@Jupiter Yah, I've been playing Battlefield 2042 recently and it's a night and day difference from launch. Now the only issues are in the gameplay and level design. The technical issues have been solved sufficiently.

Personal beef time as this is of course not the most pressing issue with this title atm, but man even 5 minutes in during just the opening car ride you can clearly see flickering moiré patterns on road signs, heavy aliasing/breakup on the road surface and aliasing/flashing from the headlights when combined with DOF effects when using DLSS. Like the lights on the bridge in the distance have the bloom flicker in and out and so aggressively you might think they're supposed to look like that until you see how it looks on the PS5. You can compensate for this!

1680462792074.png

Uncharted was one of the worst games for this with using DLSS and afaik was never fixed, they gotta pay attention to this stuff - especially considering for the vast majority of rigs out there, using lower levels of DLSS/FSR (and in the video Alex is running it on DLSS Quality!) in combination with sub-4k resolutions is required for this title.

btw gotta say the format of this video with 3 systems running the game side by side in sync was a very clever way to approach this.

Last edited:
Can you provide the benchmarks of it running at 200 fps with these settings. Also what destruction are you referring to?

Can you provide the benchmarks of it running at 200 fps with these settings. Also what destruction are you referring to?

BF2042 has destruction, though generally not as comprehensive as the older games. There are some maps from older titles in the rotations, so I think there are a couple maps that have more destructible buildings etc.

BF2042 has destruction, though generally not as comprehensive as the older games. There are some maps from older titles in the rotations, so I think there are a couple maps that have more destructible buildings etc.
Only the portal maps have some limited destruction AFAIK. Regardless the game does not run at 200 fps during any scenes with action.

My bad. 300 fps

There is still a lot of destruction. After 30 min the mqps looks not the same. Some areas are not recognizable.

My bad. 300 fps

There is still a lot of destruction. After 30 min the mqps looks not the same. Some areas are not recognizable.
That is not highest settings with RT and he's running around mostly empty flags with little to nothing happening. Turn up the settings to max with RT as you originally stated and get some scenes with actual action. To make it easy just join a 128p breakthrough server since that forces all the action around 2 flags.

Disappointed that it's not a normal DF video with settings comparisons - I'm guessing this outs PS5 on Ultra then?
I would guess a mix of high and ultra+ with the current state of the PC port. I expect at the very least ultra settings looking worse than PS5 will be fixed.

I think part of the difference in this scene with the shadows at high could potentially be due to DLSS and the LOD of shadow maps not being properly compensated when using reconstruction. Uncharted had a similar issue.

BTW looking at my Uncharted video again it's interesting how the exact same numerical sharpening value of 67 for DLSS is also the default for TLOU. I know people have said repeatedly that Iron Galaxy only came in for some assistance near the end and this project is 90% Naughty Dog, but I'm wondering what they started with. There's so many similarities with how this behaves with Uncharted that my suspicion is that while Iron Galaxy was not over in the next cubicle for the majority of development, and lot of their previous work on the engine was at least a big part of the starting codebase.

Inappropriate behavior for a technical discussion.
funny that especially DF who should know better relies on messaging PS5 as generally inferior to PC. I think the port of Last of US is not at all a bad port. Sure it has its problems like missing details on ultra Settings but thats happens with most games. Its just a bug.
But crying about CPU usage in a heavily for PS5 optimized game ( first party dev and engine) is ridiculous. Actually everything makes sense in terms of CPU usage for background streaming of data. Thats EXACTLY the reason PS5 has all this custom I/O Shenanigens.
If the PC Version who cames after is a bit proplematic to optimize because of this then that how it is. I rather life in a timeline where Sony does not castrate PS5 Versions of First Party Titels because they care about the so called "midrange PCs" . All PS5 intrinsics are to be used. PC Folk deserve a good port for sure but not on the cost of the audience who brought Sony to the point where they are now. I state here that this Ryzen 3 3600 / RTX 2070 Super combo will not be sufficient to play second wave PS5 Exclusives in same quality as PS5 , such as Spiderman 2 or Woverine.
And then i expect are more elaborate opinion about Console tech from Alex and his Colleagues than what they show now. Or is the plan to cry all gen long the song of "bad ports" when the truth just might be that PS5 due to its customisations and low level API is just a little bit better than its PC Counterpart tech?! Is that such a bitter pill to swallow @ "Dictator"?

1000 lols.png""Medium"".

This is awful. It's like different parts of the material are at disastrously different levels of detail, with Albedo being a refugee from a PS3 game. It's not even a single mip-map level of difference - it's higher.

I think. I'm a bit drunk now - it's the only way to handle this DF video. And enjoy it.

Last edited:
funny that especially DF who should know better relies on messaging PS5 as generally inferior to PC. I think the port of Last of US is not at all a bad port

I think it's a bad port, judging by the 1 hour video we just saw showing that it's a bad port.

Or is the plan to cry all gen long the song of "bad ports" when the truth just might be that PS5 due to its customisations and low level API is just a little bit better than its PC Counterpart tech?! Is that such a bitter pill to swallow @ "Dictator"?

Did NxGamer link this thread from his Twitter feed or something

thats medium textures vr high/ ultra ones... they cry about that in several places of the video and seem to have forgotten that Alex uses medium textures.

Yeah I don't think @function is the one who's drunk in this thread atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back