Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are just assuming that it's caused by lack of memory. I'm not seeing a big difference in memory usage between SP and split-screen (on PC) while there's a far more significant GPU performance cost. I think it's quite possible that the S simply doesn't have enough GPU grunt.
What about both, same time.

What about both, same time.
I suppose it's possible but I doubt it. The total added CPU+GPU memory was only about 500MB at the game's highest settings on an ultrawide monitor.

I also got a bit curious and repeated the test on 1080p medium settings. Simply dropping the texture resolution from medium to low used ~300MB less in split-screen than it did with medium textures in single player to begin with. If the issue was about memory limits then I think they would have just done that.

A detailed deep dive from the devs of Avatar Pandora.
Another awesome interview! The section about their GPU driven geometry pipeline and use of Mesh Shading on consoles but not PC was interesting! I guess the market support just isn't there yet on the PC side. Understandable, as this is a big IP with a ton of potential.. they'll obviously want to support as many GPUs out there as possible.

Snowdrop seems to be in a good place. I'll have to pick this game up sometime. I really liked The Division too.. and now this just has me curious as to how awesome a new Division game could look. :)

So mesh shaders been there since turing on PC but they only used it on consoles. I hope this wasn't because of any sponsorship reasons, they already did the leg work with dx12 for xbox so it makes one wonder.

So mesh shaders been there since turing on PC but they only used it on consoles. I hope this wasn't because of any sponsorship reasons, they already did the leg work with dx12 for xbox so it makes one wonder.
Very likely due to lack of support of anything pre-RDNA2 on the AMD side.

Seems weird that if you had a mesh shader pipeline for directx12 (on console) that you wouldn't allow it as an option on pc. Like, why not support both on pc?

Seems weird that if you had a mesh shader pipeline for directx12 (on console) that you wouldn't allow it as an option on pc. Like, why not support both on pc?
Maybe the implementation on PC is different than on console? In the interview the developer mentions this:

Digital Foundry: I'm genuinely shocked that it even runs without mesh shading on PC based on your description there, so it must be pretty optimised even without.
Oleksandr Koshlo: To be fair, getting mesh shading to be faster than non-mesh shading was actually quite a big challenge for me. I've spent quite a lot of time on it and still the vanilla rasterisation is really fast and works really well.

They wouldn't use it on console if it wasn't faster than "vanilla"

See the thing about a console's geometry pipeline is that primitive shaders makes it trivial for them to access new functionality like mesh shading by simply extending the old geometry shader interface! On AMD, their hardware doesn't really have any unique distinction between Vertex/Geometry/Mesh Shader or any logical shader stages because ultimately they all run on the hardware's geometry shader stage ...

That the mesh shading path is not available on PC is a disgrace. It would help so many GPUs run the game even faster. There's enough DX12 Ultimate GPUs now.

What the hell were they thinking? @Dictator IMO, you should've been more negatively upfront in the interview about this, not only surprised. This is not okay, to waste performance like that. Aside from that, it's a very good interview and good on you for asking.

They produced a very well performing game with or without Mesh shading on PC and gave me the time of day to talk, and were also really nice people. I see no reason to even be remotely upset. I definitely would not be negative to them @Dampf . I definitely do not think it is a disgrace. A little perspective I think makes that much obvious.

Who knows, maybe they add it in time. They are adding XeSS and their first patch already improved GPU performance a bit over day-0...

They produced a very well performing game with or without Mesh shading on PC and gave me the time of day to talk, and were also really nice people. I see no reason to even be remotely upset. I definitely would not be negative to them @Dampf . I definitely do not think it is a disgrace. A little perspective I think makes that much obvious.

Who knows, maybe they add it in time. They are adding XeSS and their first patch already improved GPU performance a bit over day-0...
Yes, it already is pretty optimized, I understand. However, mesh shading is free performance, if the path is available there's no reason to not use. As such, a 2070 Super cannot possibly compete with a Series X. This is a much worse situation than no DLSS option in AMD sponsored games in my opinion.

Let's be hopeful they add it in due time.

That the mesh shading path is not available on PC is a disgrace. It would help so many GPUs run the game even faster. There's enough DX12 Ultimate GPUs now.

What the hell were they thinking? @Dictator IMO, you should've been more negatively upfront in the interview about this, not only surprised. This is not okay, to waste performance like that. Aside from that, it's a very good interview and good on you for asking.
yeah they don't know sh*t, they just produced a beautiful looking and nicely performing game, but without mesh shading on PC ! you should definitely go and show them how it's done.

Reactions: JPT
I'm actually realizing that on the pc it might be because of how the assets are shipped. The actual format of the assets would be on disk as meshlets right? So anything that doesn't support mesh shaders would need to do some conversion back to a traditional mesh, which might be a cost they don't want. It's basically the difference of vertex ordering, vertex buffers and stuff like that to go from meshlets to a traditional mesh. Or maybe not if they're just using their own custom compute shader path. Not sure.

Last edited:
On AMD, their hardware doesn't really have any unique distinction between Vertex/Geometry/Mesh Shader or any logical shader stages because ultimately they all run on the hardware's geometry shader stage ...
This doesn't answer the question. There are different formats for geometry between Vertex and Mesh Shaders. Additionally, the Vertex pipeline includes triangle clipping, culling, tessellation, stream out, and other logic, all the stuff that is absent in Mesh Shaders and that was challenging to beat from the interview. The distinction is here on any hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back