Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I m impressed by how much the Forza devs improved over the years.

I am genuinely disappointed after excellent FH5, granted different teams and FM was always less impressive than GT. Imo GT (which is also mentioned on multiple occasions in the vid) has the best shaders when it comes to car painting, and of course car models are much better. But there is something horribly wrong with materials and reflections in FM, it just looks bad and flat. They still have a LOT to learn.
This is screen grab i took, the reflections are total mess i have no idea what i am looking at here. A lot of reflective materials in game looks super low res.

F371EDF7-4DD7-4F3F-9A2B-82C304EE1D4C_1_102_o.jpeg

I am genuinely disappointed after excellent FH5, granted different teams and FM was always less impressive than GT. Imo GT (which is also mentioned on multiple occasions in the vid) has the best shaders when it comes to car painting, and of course car models are much better. But there is something horribly wrong with materials and reflections in FM, it just looks bad and flat. They still have a LOT to learn.
This is screen grab i took, the reflections are total mess i have no idea what i am looking at here. A lot of reflective materials in game looks super low res.

View attachment 10239
I think most people would agree GT has had a lead in terms of realistic lighting and usually material shaders(though not universally here), and while those things are big and undeniably a major factor in the visuals, it's also about the end of where I'd give GT any clear nod. Forza Motorsport has generally had better environments, better image quality, more cars on track and better reflections.

It might also be worth noting that Forza Motorsport, at least since FM2, has gone for a tightly locked 60fps experience, while GT has definitely allowed their games to buckle more in terms of performance in the name of pushing fidelity(especially notable with GT5+GT6). The level of overhead required for all these previous Forza Motorsport games to basically always hit 60fps isn't small, either. This requires real sacrifices.

I think graphically, they've overall been a wash between them. Pros/cons, with preferences potentially deciding in either's favor depending on the individual.

Hard to go back to 2d gt7 after playing in VR.
Even if graphics take a hit (but still look better than the ps4pro version)

Last edited:
Reactions: snc
There must have been some issues during the development of Forza. This should have been a layup as it's competing vs what's basically still a PS4 game. Forza also had an extra year of development time.

Very nice detailed comparison (briliant use of google image). Surprise that df gave their winner (gt7) but kudos for brave ;d

Forza has much more detailed car models than GT7, IN GAME. And the global lighting is also more advanced in FM, maybe that's why the lighting of the cars sometimes seems duller, but even then Forza is much more technically advanced.

One more thing. In Forza, the base colors are not as good as the manufacturer's more metallic colors. Unfortunately, there is currently no choice of metallic color palette in FM, but it is worth buying some cars in the factory color, because they look really better in shading.

It might also be worth noting that Forza Motorsport, at least since FM2, has gone for a tightly locked 60fps experience, while GT has definitely allowed their games to buckle more in terms of performance in the name of pushing fidelity(especially notable with GT5+GT6). The level of overhead required for all these previous Forza Motorsport games to basically always hit 60fps isn't small, either. This requires real sacrifices.
The craziest thing about FM5 was that resolution and framerate combined. This was Xbox One, after all, so hitting 1080p60 was an impressive feat.

View attachment 10239
Oh my. The DF video gives a whole different impression. That does look awful

There must have been some issues during the development of Forza. This should have been a layup as it's competing vs what's basically still a PS4 game. Forza also had an extra year of development time.
Gt sport had bigger advantage vs forza 7 than gt7 has vs forza motorsport, this time its quite close so t10 did improved more vs previous title than pd imo

Gt sport had bigger advantage vs forza 7 than gt7 has vs forza motorsport, this time its quite close so t10 did improved more vs previous title than pd imo
GT7 is also targeting a prior generation of console. This should have been a blow out in favor of Forza.

Reactions: snc
GT7 is also targeting a prior generation of console. This should have been a blow out in favor of Forza.
73.jpg

I think anyone who takes a closer look at the two games can easily see the generational jump in FM compared to GT7. What a single online site says and which one it thinks is the winner is nothing more than a momentary opinion, just like anyone else's here or anywhere.

I think anyone who takes a closer look at the two games can easily see the generational jump in FM compared to GT7.
Are you saying DF didn't take a close look? An hour of cursory glances and not really paying attention?

Edit: I also feel you should remind yourself what generational jumps actually look like. Compare GT on PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4, and tell me that's the difference in your above comparison!!

Last edited:
View attachment 10242

I think anyone who takes a closer look at the two games can easily see the generational jump in FM compared to GT7. What a single online site says and which one it thinks is the winner is nothing more than a momentary opinion, just like anyone else's here or anywhere.
They trade blows in various ways but based on all the footage I would agree that GT7 comes out ahead.

I hope next GT pushes the envelope. Sport aimed more towards re calibration of the franchise, and 7 was held back by relying in Sports foundations and being a cross gen title.

GT7 PS5 improvements over GT7 PS4 pro are already substantial. Don't know how much better they can do, or maybe by dropping the native 4k res ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back