Dark Souls 3 [PS4,XO]

Oh i forgot to add, i didn't use a shield this time nor adopted a defensive playstyle, which may have reduced the play time significantly. You can see my playstyle in these three bosses for example:

With the best showcase being the last one as I've gotten more familiar with Ds3 and this style of playing the game. Can't go back to shields and that awkward parrying system (it was so good in bloodborne) :)

Last edited:
Well, I probably spent an extra 10-15 hours dishonarbly ganking fools in the forest and later in Irithyll :)

I think if we're talking sheer scope, DS3 might actually be the biggest Souls game From has created so far, but as it's nowhere near as punishing, let alone as bewildering as its predecessors, you're way more likely to "breeze" through it.

Last edited:
who am I fooling, I know I will buy it sooner than later, just that I didn'twant easy peasy Uncharted 4 to come between and make me lose my groove!

BTW, did anyone of you use the newer weapons like the shortbow? Or try out a non sword build, somewhat magic like or sometihng? Having played the whole Bloodborne with Ludwig's Holy Sword, DS3 will feel too similar if I go for a sword again. IS there a viable way to play without a sword? Or is it just a fad and not practical?

who am I fooling, I know I will buy it sooner than later, just that I didn'twant easy peasy Uncharted 4 to come between and make me lose my groove!

BTW, did anyone of you use the newer weapons like the shortbow? Or try out a non sword build, somewhat magic like or sometihng? Having played the whole Bloodborne with Ludwig's Holy Sword, DS3 will feel too similar if I go for a sword again. IS there a viable way to play without a sword? Or is it just a fad and not practical?

Haven't tried them myself, but bows are supposedly pretty viable in DS3. You can even quick fire right after a dodge roll now. You can be Budget Hawkeye™! I've heard magic isn't particularly useful as a primary means of attack at this point. More useful than in Bloodborne probably, but that's not exactly saying much.

Bought it from PSN and played uptill the FIrelink Shrine last night as the game was still downloading and I couldn't go further.
This may sound bad, but I felt dissappointed by the opening area :( ! I mean, DS1 had the moody prison before the colours rolled in, DS2 had the amazing and mystifying "Things Betwixt" to prep u up for Majula.....and here you have a sunny bright happy cheerful landscape with one hit enemies ! Where's the "Dark" of Dark Souls :( ! Where's the mood ? Especially after Bloodborne, the king of atmosphere and slick style, this contrast-less sun kissed landscape is just wrong, plain wrong way to open the game !

Atlast the Firelink Shrine gives me hope with its colours and aesthetics !

I started with a Pyromancer, BTW. Don't like his looks at all but he has a Fireball, the first boss was so easy with that ! I just hope its not stupid choice for later content. I mean, he has the sword like the Kight and also has a Fireball ! Why wouldn't I choose it !

Well, DS3's tone isn't quite as desperate as DS1's. Neither is it as imposing and straight up horrifying as Bloodborne's. It's mostly somber and melancholic. Really befits the underlying theme. It's not a particularly memorable starting area, though (however I do like the boss fight). As the third game in the series they probably wanted you to be on your way as quickly as possible. But not to worry, it does get more Dark Souls-y the further you progress.

Man, I really think I shouldn't have started as a Pyromancer, not that he is bad, its the opposite: his fireball is so damn good that I keep spamming that ! I am just not learning the sword gameplay at all due to that. I mean I am just not taking the risk and just shooting fireballs at everyone. I am afraid I am gonna get my ass handed to me soon when I meet a boss, cos I have no idea of swordplay till now.
What a weird situation, :p lol !

OTOH, should I save 20,000 souls for that Tower Key? is it worth it? Cos I can't get it out of my mind since its right there at the beginning of the game !

Man, I really think I shouldn't have started as a Pyromancer, not that he is bad, its the opposite: his fireball is so damn good that I keep spamming that ! I am just not learning the sword gameplay at all due to that. I mean I am just not taking the risk and just shooting fireballs at everyone. I am afraid I am gonna get my ass handed to me soon when I meet a boss, cos I have no idea of swordplay till now.
What a weird situation, :p lol !

OTOH, should I save 20,000 souls for that Tower Key? is it worth it? Cos I can't get it out of my mind since its right there at the beginning of the game !

It's not story related, more like an extra area. Don't buy it early like i did, waste of souls.

Probably but i don't remember exactly, it has an item that you give the fire keeper i think.

You can use a hidden shortcut to get some of the items: in front of the closed gate to the tower.

Use the tree to jump to the roof.

Buy the key later. It's not that good imo.

Important stuff can be accessed via the tree/rooftop trick.

You can use a hidden shortcut to get some of the items: in front of the closed gate to the tower.

Use the tree to jump to the roof.

Buy the key later. It's not that good imo.

Important stuff can be accessed via the tree/rooftop trick.

Oh I bought the key, Got two god rings inthere, one increases the number fo souls u earn and the other increases the healing effect of estus flasks. Those are good and got an estus shard too.

Btw, 3 questions:

1) Should I upgrade my weapons? I have long sword I am using right now, and I got titanite shards to upgrade that but I am afraid a new weapon might be around the corner or something rendering it waste.
2) How does Ember work? Can I co op only when I have consumed ember? Am I invaded only when I have consumed Ember?
3)What do I do with the special yellow soul I get by killing a boss?

1.) If you like the move set...upgrade it. You can also wait a little bit longer: in the beginning you can find many many different weapons. Try them out then decide and upgrade.

2.) Not sure, as I didn't try it. But iirc, I think it is as you say. I am Embered all the time because of the health boost.

3.) Consumibg those gives you souls. But not long into the game you unlock the possibility to buy special boss weapons with those souls...these are only available with this particular soul.

The XP increasing ring is great...I got it without using the key, but using the tree trick.

Btw, these weird crow nest: you can leave items in the nest. For some items, the nice crow transforms them into something cool! (Iirc for instance a prism stone)

I see lots of items inside. Thats why I am so interested. Any good stuff in there?

Yes, lots of stuff.

Can use the tree jump shortcut, instead of key, to get...

• - Covetous Silver Serpent Ring that gives +10% more souls (behind hidden wall)
  • - Estrus Shard - more healing yay!
  • - Something else that wasn't that important
  • - Access to the bird nest (can trade item for Mirrah hat, my favorite glamour)

Need key to get
  • - Firekeeper soul that allows you to heal something spoiler related.
  • - Ability to do an event related to Patches, Siegward, and Greirat at some point. Can miss it if you don't go to tower at right time. Look up spoilers if you don't want to miss it.
  • - Firekeeper's clothing set (looks good)
  • - Estus Ring (20 or 25% more healing from Estus flasks)

Regards,
SB

Oh I bought the key, Got two god rings inthere, one increases the number fo souls u earn and the other increases the healing effect of estus flasks. Those are good and got an estus shard too.

Btw, 3 questions:

1) Should I upgrade my weapons? I have long sword I am using right now, and I got titanite shards to upgrade that but I am afraid a new weapon might be around the corner or something rendering it waste.
2) How does Ember work? Can I co op only when I have consumed ember? Am I invaded only when I have consumed Ember?
3)What do I do with the special yellow soul I get by killing a boss?

You should soon find ashes (unless you miss them by not exploring) you can give to the Shrine maiden that will allow you to buy unlimited Titanite shards. I wouldn't worry about spending titanite shards, feel free to experiment. And up to +3 upgrades on a weapon can help significantly in the early game even if it isn't one you'll use long term. I did it with the Deep Axe under the dragon very early in the game for my Str/Int hybrid build so that I could ignore stats at the start. No stat scaling on the Deep Axe, only damage.

You can also farm the guys that explode into dark oily looking creatures early in the game for titanite shard drops if you really want to.

Regards,
SB

They only give shards the first time you kill them iirc.

I used deep axe in the beginning. Was quite good without upgrades, so I had time to try out all weapons!

Back