Dark Souls 3 [PS4,XO]

So apparently there's a leak of Dark Souls 3 with many screenshots and info:

Screens:
http://imgur.com/a/yEcES

-------

However the fact that the HUD from Dark Souls 1 is shown in the screenshots leads me to believe these are early tests for a sequel of DS1 which probably morphed into Bloodborne:

yoGuHbz.png

I'd be all in for a Dark Souls 3. But a lot of those screens look like they'd be right at home in Bloodborne.

Who knows maybe it's work on Plasmaborne or Goreborne. :p Similar to Demons Souls -> Dark Souls. :p The multiplatform evolution of Bloodborne.

Regards,
SB

IMO, the engine for Bloodborne seems to have been just a ported over DS engine. I'm sure now that they have a capable engine they will want to use it for more games. DS3, a multiplatform game, makes most sense to me and I'm certainly looking forward to it.

I hope it's more like DS1 and not DS2, mainly, in the design of the world. I want a smaller and denser world and limited bonfire warping.

The one things that really set Bloodborne graphics apart was the sheer amount of stuff on screen, and also the insane amount of detail in characters and especially the bosses. I would love to know more stats and how much geometry the engine was pushing around.

IMO, the engine for Bloodborne seems to have been just a ported over DS engine. I'm sure now that they have a capable engine they will want to use it for more games. DS3, a multiplatform game, makes most sense to me and I'm certainly looking forward to it.
Well, From developed the DS2 engine precisely to be multiplatform and next-gen ready. Would they just throw it out?

Not that it's going to be in Dark Souls III, but hypothetically, how taxing would it be for this generation of consoles to have that nice dynamic lighting From was showing in 2013 for DSII ? We all know it was cut from the released versions of Dark Souls II on PS3, 360, DX9 PC and never re-implemented back into any version of Scholar of The First Sin?

Xbox One and especially PS4 have considerably more GPU FLOPS performance than 360 / PS3.

I'm sure for one thing it depends on what framerate they're targeting for DSIII, be it 30FPS (maybe dynamic lighting) or 60FPS (maybe too much of a strain).

Sort of an open ended thing that depends on other things too besides framerate.

It shouldn't be expensive considering PS3 and XB360 could do it (and more). The downgrade was the failure of From Software, the hardware wasn't the problem.

By comparing it to the rest of the games in those systems. The pre-downgrade graphics were nothing amazing in the first place: small streamed environments with a mixture of baked lighting and non-shadow casting realtime lights. Only sunlight (not always), bonfires and torches casted shadows. Only one shadow was active at any given time.

EDIT: More fuel to the fire:
Y0q2hAp.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/09/dark-souls-3-art-confirms-early-2016-release

Last edited:
By comparing it to the rest of the games in those systems. The pre-downgrade graphics were nothing amazing in the first place: small streamed environments with a mixture of baked lighting and non-shadow casting realtime lights. Only sunlight (not always), bonfires and torches casted shadows. Only one shadow was active at any given time.

And the fact that those builds were playable at showfloors. The DOF and speculars, I understand, but why was the better lighting also removed and not brought back even on th eps4 version is confusing ! My guess is they never implemented all that in the whole game and only demo areas had those features working. THey must have planned to have htem in all areas by the time of completion but abandoned the goal midway. Hence the final "old'look" visuals. All speculation, though, but sounds plausible!

The DOF was regular gaussian and the specular a simple detail map. It looked comparable to Kameo.

As to why it was downgraded, well:

"...this game actually went through quite a troubled development process. Due to a number of factors we were actually forced to re-think the entire game midway into development...

...To ensure we created the game both we and the fans wanted it was completely necessary, but it did of course create a problem. We had to decide what to do with the designs and maps that had been created up to that point. Ideally we’d start again from scratch but of course we were under time constraints so instead we had to figure out how to repurpose the designs in our newly reimagined game. This meant everything from deciding new roles for characters to finding ways to slot locations into the world map...."

http://peterbarnard1984.tumblr.com/post/113163062955/dark-souls-2-design-works-translation

EDIT: More fuel to the fire:
Y0q2hAp.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/09/dark-souls-3-art-confirms-early-2016-release
I wonder how they can cope. With a new exclusive title recently published, Bloodborne, and HD conversions of a classic at 60 fps, they seem to be working like machines. The art looks promising anyways, if that's to be believed

I wonder how they can cope. With a new exclusive title recently published, Bloodborne, and HD conversions of a classic at 60 fps, they seem to be working like machines. The art looks promising anyways, if that's to be believed
Simples. Debugging and error fixing is done after release and patched up. Broken game at release.

Sad thing is that I'm only half joking.

Not all games require 4+ years in development, specially if you already have a strong foundation to work from.

From the stream. Looks like a sequel to DS1 and not DS2.

MarriedOrderlyEidolonhelvum.gif

DAT Phantom veil :yes:

Praise the sun!

EDIT: Didn't even notice that the torch mechanic is back:

WfmRwQJ.gif

Combat is much more fluid:

AcceptableUglyDobermanpinscher.gif

Last edited:
I thought it looks a lot worse than bloodborne, everything was very flash and looked last gen ish, looks like a last gen project that got upgraded.

Yeah now that i looked at the high quality trailer i also think it looks worse than Bloodborne visually. But it doesn't matter that much to me, i don't play these games for the graphics anyways :yep2:

Back