Dark Souls 2 [PS3,X360]

That was awesome. Although not for NA apparently, because they couldn't log into the servers. EU wasn't without problems either. We couldn't invade or play co-op. Was kind of funny when a massage popped up saying that they apologise for the problems, and that they want to do another server test.

I was kinda expecting problems, it's a beta after all. The last time we couldn't play co-op either. Hopefully we'll be able to try that next time.

Beyond that it played very well, and nothing like Dark Souls. Which is exactly how it should be. It brings back that feeling of uncertainty where you know you haven't got the timing down so very move you make could be your last.

It's nice to see black phantoms return, and not being hidden away by some silly covenant. They made for some of the most dangerous enemies in the beta. Most of my deaths were against a black phantom with a large shield and greatsword. I finally decide to cheese him by luring him to where he stops following me and shooting him with arrows. That revealed something rather disappointing. The hitbox of his shield extends well beyond it, making me unable to hit him if he was pointing towards me.

I killed both of the bosses. The
Skeleton Lord and the Chariot.
I killed the first one on my first attempt, but it died plenty against the latter.
I kept being killed while trying to hide in those alcoves. If there's a bloodstain and a massage on top of each other, pressing triangle will switch between them instead of switching between one handed and two handed. So I stood there think I was holding my shield up when in fact I couldn't switch to it and was defending with my sword, taking hit after hit. Although I can't blame all my deaths on that. Once I was alone with the boss it was pretty easy.

I like the new torch mechanic. I fell into a dark pit with enemies inside. So I immediately dodge away to what I thought was safety. And there was a lesson to be learned. Torches go out when you roll through water. The level design can be as dangerous as the enemies. And it's very good like in previous games, with plenty of secrets to find for bold adventurers.

About stats and how they effect weapons.
Now that even fire scales with a stat, I was wondering how they were going to handle enabling you use a wide variety of weapons. Before if you weren't invested heavily in a weapons best scaling stat you could still a fire or lighting weapon out of it a do plenty of damage that way. In Dark Souls greatswords were always strength or scaling equally well in strength and dex weapons. In the beta there is a greatswords called the Knight's Greatsword. It scales in both strength and dex, but better in dex, and has a higher stat requirement in dex. It was probably my favourite weapon. Two handed it strikes very fast like you would expect from a dex weapon. It has the heavy thrust attack of the Claymore which is really nice aswell.

The Zweihander is back. But this time as a pure strength weapon. It still hit very hard and easily knock enemies about.

The health stat seems to be severely nerfed. You have about 800 health at the start, and increasing the stat on adds about 8 health, instead of the around 30 you would get in Dark Souls. So assuming it increases linearly, that would only double your total health if you max the stat out. Perhaps this is due to the increased importance of the resistance stat that also scales with your armor. I didn't play around with the resistance stat, so don't how big the effect is.

I played the beta because I wanted try a few things out before deciding what build I want to make in the full game. I think I have a much better idea now, and I had a really good time playing it. I won't mind going back to PS3 when Dark Souls 2 finally arrives.

These are the times for the next network test.

Asia Nov. 10th JST 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm.
Europe Nov. 10th GMT 07:00 am - 10:00 am.
North America Nov. 10th EDT 4:00 am - 7:00 am / Nov. 10th PDT 1:00 am - 4:00 am.

Beyond that it played very well, and nothing like Dark Souls. Which is exactly how it should be.

Off topic, but this is exactly why I pre ordered BF4 after the BF4 beta, because it felt nothing like BF3. It felt like a new game. None of my old "tricks" worked. It was a fresh world to be explored and won over ! That is how it should be, a fresh experience with a fresh gameplay and learning curve. I wish more sequels though that way. But, yes, most of the people get annoyed by it.

More good times with the beta. Co-op was working this time, and I really like what they did with it. Being summoned was very fast, which may have been due to high number of players in a limited area, but there were other improvements as well. It didn't seem to matter how far away I was from my summon sign, it wouldn't disappear. Even when stepping back into the arena of a previously defeated boss. You can still use your own estus flasks while your summoned, but any you've used while summoned will still be gone when you return to your world. And if the host used a heal miracle it would heal the helping phantoms as well. I didn't have any healing spells, so I don't know if that works vice versa. Fighting the bosses with three players did make them quite easy thought. I was hoping did changed something about the bosses to adjust for more players. But I suppose the point of co-op is to help the host, and to provide a challenge.

I was also invaded once. That's not a lot to go on, but at least for this fight there didn't seem to a noticeable amount of lag. I got to teach the invader the limitations of shields. :devilish:

I played as the warrior this time. Putting points into resistance to see how well it improves my armour. Weak attacks became easy enough to tank through, but heavy attacks still hurt like hell. There didn't seem to be a truly heavy armour set, so didn't get to try that out.

Love the Zweihander. It's new running attack is similar to the heavy attack of the Black Knight Greatsword in Dark Souls, and sends smaller enemies flying through the air.

About covenants.
The warrior starts out in the Way of Blue, which may be a temporary name, and can be automatically summoned to help out other players if the wears the covenant ring. Although that never happened to me. But I did receive tokens very time I helped someone defeat a boss. I'm not sure if those a part of the covenant, or if anyone receives those. They did have an interesting use though. They could heal the host of the world you've been summoned to.

There was also an NPC of the Brotherhood of Blood, the invasion covenant. When I talked to him he said wouldn't be for me. Maybe that's because I'm in a rival covenant, or maybe I need to have invaded and killed the host before, I don't know.

Near the end on the beta we got a message saying that they increased the difficulty to allow them to find the right balance for the game. I didn't notice much difference, even during a boss fight. But he did nearly one shot at one point, so maybe it was simply a straight damage increase.

I hate to say this, but this was the last network test they had planned. Unless they change their minds there won't be another public beta.

They clearly say they made the new engine to cater to dx11 and next gen hardware so that they could develop simultaneously :oops: ! Does that mean a ps4 version is confirmed? I mean, i cannot not buy it on release, but if there is a ps4 version coming so soon........

I think it's worth mentioning here that Dark Souls(1) on PC is having GFWL removed, likely to be replaced with Steam.

If the game is a solid 30fps@720p i'd say go for it, otherwise i suggest the PC version(though that will release later).

I played the shit out of Demon's Souls(day 1 US version, ~600hours), the framerate drops were common(Valley of Defilement...).
That is why i bought a 7950 and will be getting the PC version.

Why is the ambient lighting so damn bright? Now that there are torches in the game they decided to make the areas brighter? Looks so flat :???:

Yup, I almost thought of just buying a used Dark SOuls instead because of the new bright and flat look of the areas but then heard of all the gameplay tweaks and decided to go for it. Maybe they are showing off the daytime more to make it look different from DS1. They have completely changed the colour style to more realistic shades, taking a away quite a lot of the beauty of the blue and bluish greens of Dark Souls. Can't fight it, its a choice they made.

As for dark areas, I heard there's a lot more verticality , so we will be going down into the earth a lot, so expect a lot of pitch black darkness. Hoping the mood is not lost due to the new choice of colours and daylight.

and just checked : the game is already available for preload :) ! 5.1 gb only ! Woot woot :devilish: !

Back