BLU-RAY WIN!

one said:
aaaaa00 said:
IMHO it is unlikely that disc duplicators will be able to make dual layer BD in commercially reasonable quantities for quite some time, most likely leaving first generation single layer BD at 25GB competing with dual layer HD DVD at 30GB.
Where did you get that idea?
Dual layer HD DVD is far far away in 2007 while Matsushita starts full pilot production of dual-layer BD-ROM in the end of 2005.

Fine, believe what you want. We'll see if dual layer BD launches at the end of 2005.

DemoCoder said:
So if you forsee that eventually, your whole household will have HD capable players, why hamstring the format with transitional hybrid when within just a few short years, everyone will be pretty much converted over?

Where did I say or believe that everyone will be converted over in a few short years? We'll be lucky if in a few short years, everyone will have ONE HDTV capable rig (player plus display) in their household, let alone fully converted over.

The question is, why can't you buy an HDDVD and simply WAIT until you get more players for the rest of the house?

Because it's less convenient for me?

Why can't you buy a hybrid rom and um, not wait?

Why is it neccessary that a next-gen High-definition format must instantaenously work in everyroom in your house...

Why is it necessary that movies NOT stamped on two sides of your high-de ROM, and you just ignore one side?

Your whole demand seems like one big red herring.

aaaaa00 said:
IMHO it is unlikely that disc duplicators will be able to make dual layer BD in commercially reasonable quantities for quite some time, most likely leaving first generation single layer BD at 25GB competing with dual layer HD DVD at 30GB.

More like some studios will try to get by with 15 GB discs meaning they would have to constrict bit rates and/or limit content.

aaaaa00 said:
london-boy said:
Why is BR so much more expensive then, seeing how Toshiba is changing HDDVD as much as possible to reach BR's capacitiy? You talk about HDDVD being a fraction of the cost.

The basic problem is the 0.1mm cover layer, which is fundamental to the BD physical design and the key to its high capacity per layer.

Despite what you may have read in press releases from various BD members, the disc duplicators are still having a lot of problems getting the necessary precision on the cover layer in mass production, and are thus getting lots of bad discs, and/or resorting to extremely expensive methods to apply the cover layer.

Barring some magical technological breakthrough, this will take a significant amount of time to figure out.

HD DVD does not have these manufacturing problems since the processes are well understood, and yields on test production lines are already comparable to regular DVD, hence the projected low cost for the discs.

But hey, my info could be stale, out of date, or just plain wrong.

Don't forget that spincoating BDs takes significant time. Time = money.

KnightBreed said:
PC-Engine said:
As does bonding three layers to each other.

I guess the question is what takes more money and time ? And i don't think any of us have that answer right now

KnightBreed said:
PC-Engine said:

A regular DL HD DVD takes the same amount of time to stamp as a DVD-9, adding one more layer doesn't had 6 seconds to the process which is how long it takes to spincoat a BRD. ;)

jvd said:
KnightBreed said:
PC-Engine said:
I guess the question is what takes more money and time ? And i don't think any of us have that answer right now
Never seems to stop a whole mess of people answering with absolute confidence, though, does it? ;)

I don't see why some of you guys are worried about what it cost Hollywood to make these disk. You should want the better format and the price it cost them should have no bearing. If every single blu-ray disk cost $1.00 more than an hd-dvd just let me pay the $1.00 extra and be about my business. You guys are worried about putting money in already overly fat pockets, which sound like fanboyism speaking and not a tech geek.

Well i don't want the costs passed down to me which is what will happen . New plants or retooling of new plants costs money , they will then increase the price of the disc which increases the price of the movie .

Here is what I'm thinking (after reading aaaaa00000's post).

If HD-DVD comes out a year ahead of BR and has very good quality 720P movies then I'll take that over BR 1080P a year later.

Forget costs to the consumer, that's something none of us can judge.

So, HD-DVD @ 720P soon or 1080P BR a year later? I'll take the former because I'm impatient. That said, I openly admit my limited understanding may be causing me to choose unwisely.

Btw - I'd prefer more Gigs per layer because layer changes suck imo when watching movies.

WTF does anyone gain by going with an inferior format? Toshiba is looking out for THEIR bottom line, not ours. The duplicators (if aaaa0 is to be believed) are only looking out for THEIR bottom line, not ours. HD-DVD is an inferior format, period. No matter what they say, the real costs will be in infrastructure, and that's a one-time cost. Lazy manufacturers should not be encouraged IMO. The actual materials costs (whether it takes longer or not) is cents on the dollar. It may cost more now, but in a year or two of release, all optical media costs cents on the dollar. So if we want a long-term format, why would we want to go with an inferior format when 5 years from now, it'll cost a few cents to stamp a disc, whether it's BRD or HD-DVD? The whole reason we have to upgrade in the first place is b/c the DVD Consortium was so short-sighted as to not support an emerging format in HDTV. This is their doing, and I don't like the idea of them mucking up the decision for the next format. If it's not unified, it should be BRD, period. As far as the consumer is concerned, it's a better format and that's what we should be pushing. People defending HD-DVD and lazy/cheap manufacturers boggle the mind. Do you just dislike Sony that much that you'd cut your nose to spite your face? I can't see what's so good about HD-DVD. PEACE.

Do you just dislike Sony that much that you'd cut your nose to spite your face? I can't see what's so good about HD-DVD. PEACE.

RIght now there are technologys that should be ready in another two years or so that will give us 50 + gigs per layer . Why not wait an extra year over bluray for that ?

Or how about we wait another 3 years after that for a 100 gigs per plater ?

TO me what i want is to be able to watch hd-tv movies as soon as possible and as cheaply as possible. TO me 15 gigs is more than enough for 720p and a 3 hour movie . Put the special features on a second layer of 15 gigs and it should be more than enough. Still not enough ? do a third layer .

If the rumors are true that a tri layer hd-dvd disc is cheaper than a bluray single layer disc then it makes more sense . Hd-dvd will be ready this year and shouldn't be very expensive .

IF we keep waiting we will wait forever .

jvd said:
RIght now there are technologys that should be ready in another two years or so that will give us 50 + gigs per layer . Why not wait an extra year over bluray for that ?

Or how about we wait another 3 years after that for a 100 gigs per plater ?

TO me what i want is to be able to watch hd-tv movies as soon as possible and as cheaply as possible. TO me 15 gigs is more than enough for 720p and a 3 hour movie . Put the special features on a second layer of 15 gigs and it should be more than enough. Still not enough ? do a third layer .

If the rumors are true that a tri layer hd-dvd disc is cheaper than a bluray single layer disc then it makes more sense . Hd-dvd will be ready this year and shouldn't be very expensive .

IF we keep waiting we will wait forever .

With 1080p HDTVs right around the corner, why would you want to settle for a standard that might only cap out at 720p? So we can pine for another format upgrade when 1080p proliferation hits saturation? Again, this seems so short-sighted, it's the reason we're having this debate in the first place. I don't know about you, but I only have a 30+ DVDs, but the idea of having to upgrade is already pissing me off to no end. It's something that nagged me back when DVD was finalized and it was known that it wouldn't be an HDTV standard. I didn't think it would happen for a long time though. I really don't care what format they choose, as long as it's one that's the best available and supports the highest HDTV standard so that it's as future-proof as possible. The extra storage space gives an extra cushion not just for the 1080p resolution, but also for any future audio standards that come out. We know Dolby has to keep creating stuff to keep themselves relevant, so I'd like to know that no matter what gets thrown at us, I won't have to upgrade until they move to Super-HDTV or something. HD-DVD right now doesn't meet that requirement.

It may be possible to layer upon layer to get HDDVD to support different things, but it's per layer capacity is inferior to BRD. If there's a better format I think we should go with that. That's BRD. The unification announcment was like the best thing in the world. BRD's superiority with concessions for Toshiba that didn't hurt the actual tech. I hate the idea of the market getting fragmented, but if a unified format can't use BRD's tech OR BETTER, then forget it. Let the HDTV video format die a slow, painful death, and let's be stuck with DVD for longer. I'd rather that than go with HDDVD. It just seems stupid to pass up more storage. This would be like passing up a 1TB/platter drive for a 750GB/platter drive simply b/c Seagate or something was too cheap to change their plants to accomodate the better tech. BRD's ceiling is so much higher than HD-DVDs, it's painful. :( PEACE.

With 1080p HDTVs right around the corner

at what cost ? Right now the majority of hdtvs are 720i .

So we can pine for another format upgrade when 1080p proliferation hits saturation
IT will take many years for 1080p to hit saturation as right now only hte highest of the highend has it . There are a hand full of models that have it . Why wait a year for bluray when we can wait 2 or 3 for 100 gig discs ? or 50 gig layer discs ?

The extra storage space gives an extra cushion not just for the 1080p resolution, but also for any future audio standards that come out. We know Dolby has to keep creating stuff to keep themselves relevant, so I'd like to know that no matter what gets thrown at us, I won't have to upgrade until they move to Super-HDTV or something. HD-DVD right now doesn't meet that requirement.
your telling me that 15 gigs isn't enough for 1080p with say 7.1 sound or even 10.1 sound ? I think its more than enough and if not the second layer will be fine .

It may be possible to layer upon layer to get HDTV to support different things, but it's per layer capacity is inferior to BRD
because its cheaper .

This would be like passing up a 1TB/platter drive for a 750GB/platter drive simply b/c Seagate or something was too cheap to change their plants to accomodate the better tech.
Or it could be that you can get two 750 gig plater drives for cheaper than the single 1tb platter drive . Which means more room cheaper

As i said , if we really want to wait why not just wait for 100 gig layers ?

jvd said:
Well i don't want the costs passed down to me which is what will happen . New plants or retooling of new plants costs money , they will then increase the price of the disc which increases the price of the movie .

I guess you haven't got the memo which says that retooled hd-dvd plays are painfully slow at replication. So to get speeds better than blu-ray plants you would need to be build new hd-dvd plants as well. The whole "Just re-tool your plant and make hd-dvds" campaign by toshiba was just an fiasco to make people believe hd-dvd was so much cheaper than blu-ray.

Back