Blu-Ray Disc Association Finalizes 128GB BDXL Format

The Blu-ray disc association (BDA) today announced the finalization and release of the specifications for BDXL, the new multi-layer recordable Blu-ray format with up to 128GB of capacity. With the completion and approval of the specification, manufacturers can now obtain licensing information and license applications needed to begin production of the high capacity write-once and rewritable discs and hardware.

Targeted primarily at commercial segments such as broadcasting, medical and document imaging enterprises with significant archiving needs, BDXL provides customers with triple layer 100GB RE (rewritable) and R (write-once) discs and quadruple layer 128GB R discs. Possible consumer applications include capture and playback of HD broadcast and satellite programming in markets where set-top recorders are prevalent. The new media specifications are extensions of current BD technologies, future BDXL capable recorders can easily be designed to play back existing 25GB and 50GB Blu-ray formats, hence, future consumer Blu-ray disc players are likely to eventually support the new discs.

"The BDA worked diligently to create an extension of the Blu-ray disc format that leverages the physical structure of the design of the disc to create even more storage capacity. By using the existing Blu-ray technologies, we have created a long-term and stable solution for archiving large amounts of sensitive data, video and graphic images. We expect further growth of the Blu-ray disc market as the introduction of 100GB/128GB discs will expand the application of Blu-ray disc technologies,” said Victor Matsuda, the chairman of BDA’s global promotions committee.

Pricing of new BD media types and hardware remains a question. Moreover, considering the fact that there are now several Blu-ray disc standards – the original Blu-ray (there are different profiles for players, though), Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray XL – there is likely to be a mess with them in the future.

News Source: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storag..._Association_Finalizes_128GB_BDXL_Format.html

Might require a more powerful laser diode perhaps? Maybe higher precision focusing/tracking?

Increased digital signal processing capability to read data and handle error correction etc would seem likely as well; current hardware might not have the neccessary capabilities.

Also, manufacturers would rather have you buy another unit than spend money developing an upgrade for a product they already sold you... :p So even if the capability exists, it probably won't be leveraged.

I've shied away from BD-RE for the time being because its durability seems disappointing compared to DVD-RAM (a few 1000s of rewrite cycles vs 100k).

Is there any change in the materials coming up that would bolster rewrite tolerance?

Do you really need that many rewrites? When you've come close to wearing out a disc (which at several thousand cycles would take several/many years, unless you do multiple backups per day), just buy another one. Christ...! :)

Do you really need that many rewrites? When you've come close to wearing out a disc (which at several thousand cycles would take several/many years, unless you do multiple backups per day), just buy another one. Christ...! :)
For certain types of backups, I've stopped doing compressed archives and just rsync directory trees. Sometimes I "work" directly on the DVD-RAM, to reorganize things as they grow out. I'm a bit concerned for the directory and filesystem structures. Writing out one backup causes much more than one change to some of those sectors.

Why aren't you using archiving software if you're worried about that? I just don't get it.

Of course you're going to wear your discs unevenly and kill them prematurely if you're being lazy. That kind of goes without saying, and isn't the tech's fault. It's your fault. :)

For certain types of backups, I've stopped doing compressed archives and just rsync directory trees. Sometimes I "work" directly on the DVD-RAM, to reorganize things as they grow out. I'm a bit concerned for the directory and filesystem structures. Writing out one backup causes much more than one change to some of those sectors.

Wouldn't it be more convenient, faster and cheaper to buy a new 1TB disk every year instead? Or lower the swap frequency and go for SSDs instead?

Hey, I just like the convenience of browsing/altering directory trees in place. Locating one tiny file somewhere in a huge archive takes so much time, let alone extracting it.

I'm only writing about once per month. My DVD-RAMs should last me longer than I care about the data that's on them. And that's exactly what I like about DVD-RAM :)
I really don't think I'm mistreating my media. They are supposed to withstand this kind of access frequency easily. And whether or not you agree, BD-RE is clearly a step back in that aspect, and that's kind of a bummer. I really would like the 10x data density upgrade.
Wouldn't it be more convenient, faster and cheaper to buy a new 1TB disk every year instead? Or lower the swap frequency and go for SSDs instead?
I don't trust layabout harddrives as a long-term storage solution. The lubrication can fall out and start sticking in place (sorry, my aftermarket English ain't giving me them technical terms here). Plastic discs are much easier to store (safely) as well. Cheap-ass CD binders will do just fine, it's compact and tidy, survives a fall from the third floor etc.

SSDs are expensive. Or so I've heard ;)

Back