4K gaming and viewing review

No, you didn't. Until its proven to produce a stable picture for that timeframe without irregular aging related to colors I wouldn't spend money on them.

What do you mean proven ? The drop in luminance is perfectly predictable. When the vendors states a drop in luminance of 20% over 50,000 or 100,000 , that's what you can expect.

For reference, my 50" Pioneer PDP is coming up to nine years, and I can't tell if the luminance levels have dropped (ie. it's certainly not a problem).

There were good reasons why Panasonic and others delayed and then stopped their products during the last 2-3 years.

They couldn't make money. There isn't a mass market for quality TVs.

Cheers

What do you mean proven ? The drop in luminance is perfectly predictable. When the vendors states a drop in luminance of 20% over 50,000 or 100,000 , that's what you can expect.

For reference, my 50" Pioneer PDP is coming up to nine years, and I can't tell if the luminance levels have dropped (ie. it's certainly not a problem).

Yeah we have two nine year old Panasonic plasma tv's that are still running strong, the really old models with the huge gray bezel and I can't tell any visual degradation on them at all. I think the issue may be overblown.

Well with HDR coming too, I'll be very happy. My panny plasma is still awesome and it's now almost 3 years old. An HDR 4k OLED will last me for many years. Then again I don't expect to upgrade for a few more years so who knows what we'll have by then.
Still, it's good that OLED is getting some love. I'll be very upset if I'm forced to buy an LCD in the future.

Same here, our main tv remains a 65" Panasonic plasma (I think 4 years old now) and I won't touch LED tv's so 4k is a non starter for me right now. Hopefully oled's can make a comeback as I wouldn't mind a 4k tv since I pc game from the couch.

The problem as I understood it wasn't just a general drop of luminance but that the aging was different for the "pixels" related to their color.

I have a Panasonic Plasma since 2006 but I thought we talked about Oleds here:) What changed over time is the contrast, black went more to grey, in my case. But in the current age short product cycles with TFTs it's quite surprising how long it runs.

They couldn't make money. There isn't a mass market for quality TVs.
Cheers

Probably true but they didn't even try to sell some image technology products as test runs. Something they did with Plasmas.

Yeah we have two nine year old Panasonic plasma tv's that are still running strong, the really old models with the huge gray bezel and I can't tell any visual degradation on them at all. I think the issue may be overblown.

Same here, our main tv remains a 65" Panasonic plasma (I think 4 years old now) and I won't touch LED tv's so 4k is a non starter for me right now. Hopefully oled's can make a comeback as I wouldn't mind a 4k tv since I pc game from the couch.
Maybe you will get back into consoles by then, when they are able to display 4k content at good framerates.

My current TV is less than 2 years old, both taking into account the day I purchased it and the manufacturing date, and it looks very fine for now -it doesn't get that much use, plus it turns off automatically after a while- so hopefully I will get a 4k when the time is right and it becomes a standard.

No, you didn't. Until its proven to produce a stable picture for that timeframe without irregular aging related to colors I wouldn't spend money on them. There were good reasons why Panasonic and others delayed and then stopped their products during the last 2-3 years.

That isn't why everyone but LG basically stopped making OLED panels for TVs.

It's because no-one can make OLEDs even remotely as cheaply as LG has been able to make them.

IIRC, yield for Samsung was somewhere in the 30-40% range for large screen OLED panels. LG by comparison was rumored to be around 70-80% yield on their large screen OLEDs. They use different OLED technologies and manufacturing processes. This was from ~2 years ago. LG has a new plant and have said that their yields are better now.

LG had been able to sell their OLED TV's cheaper (MSRP was similar, but often sold at 30-50% of MSRP) than Samsung while making far greater profit for each. When LG lowered the price floor for OLED TV's Samsung could no longer compete in price. And with quality being roughly equivalent, Samsung's only option in the market was to take a loss on each set sold.

That said, Samsung hasn't given up on OLED. They just need to work on a way to make them as price competitive as the LG panels, which either means switching to how LG makes them, or refining their own process such that the yields become more competitive.

Regards,
SB

Back