Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2022]

I’m afraid the non-polarised coating that makes the screen less jet-black than current OLEDs is present on the Samsung, and the Alienware QD monitor that’s already out. Samsung makes those screens and also the Sony QD, and I think they’ll all look the same. I really don’t think it’s such a huge issue, but then I can control the lighting in my room to my desires so I don’t care. Perhaps in rooms with lots of light, things are different but again I don’t see people complaining about this too much.

Damn, that's unfortunate for me. It would likely be less of an issue if it wasn't going to sit next to an LG OLED to where I'd constantly be aware of the greyness of the blacks, but there's no reason for me to get rid of my LG OLED and then have to buy 2 QD-OLED TVs for my setup. Currently have an LCD TV as the 2nd display in my setup and while the grey blacks are annoying, it's not as annoying as if it was an OLED that should have pitch black blacks but doesn't have pitch black blacks unless all my lights are off.

Again, a unique setup. I am curious how noticeable it will be for me in a setting where I both haven't seen an LG OLED recently and it's not sitting next to an LG OLED. Next time I go on vacation hopefully someone I know will have a QD-OLED TV set so I can put that to the test when I get back (before I have a chance to look at a LG OLED). :)

Regards,
SB

Damn, that's unfortunate for me. It would likely be less of an issue if it wasn't going to sit next to an LG OLED to where I'd constantly be aware of the greyness of the blacks, but there's no reason for me to get rid of my LG OLED and then have to buy 2 QD-OLED TVs for my setup. Currently have an LCD TV as the 2nd display in my setup and while the grey blacks are annoying, it's not as annoying as if it was an OLED that should have pitch black blacks but doesn't have pitch black blacks unless all my lights are off.

Again, a unique setup. I am curious how noticeable it will be for me in a setting where I both haven't seen an LG OLED recently and it's not sitting next to an LG OLED. Next time I go on vacation hopefully someone I know will have a QD-OLED TV set so I can put that to the test when I get back (before I have a chance to look at a LG OLED). :)

Regards,
SB
That’s not how people are explaining it though. You don’t need all your lights off. The screen just reacts differently to light hitting the screen directly. So as long as that doesn’t happen, you’re good and you’ll get pitch black blacks.
I must say I do want to see this in person, just to make sure.

maybe the "gray" is like when using matte screen?

It is, or at least should be. I didn't mind matte screen coatings before because blacks on LCD screens were pretty bad anyway. But now that I've been using an LG OLED for the past year+, I can't imagine going back to anything like that.

I've also been pleasantly surprised at how little reflections there are on the LG panel despite not having a matte screen finish.

Regards,
SB

Most info I found for the Sammy QD compared to LG here:
He’s also reserving judgement for the Sony QD as Sony OLEDs tend to dim gaming because of static HUD elements. If that happens I may just get the Samsung. Maybe. He also has comments about the costing and it’s really not that bad compared to LG.

And this guy says the screen is very glossy and a bit reflective, which is good. So yeah now I really need to see this in person.

OK, color me potentially very interested in the Samsung QD-OLED again if it is a glossy screen like the LG OLEDs. Now the question becomes, does it handle reflections as well as the LG sets? Hell, it might not even matter to much to me if it does if the reds are noticeably better on the Samsung set.

Now it comes down to price. And I'm still likely going to wait 1-2 years just to see how robust it is WRT potential burn-in.

Also, still want to see RTINGS and HDTVTest reviews as they tend to be more technical and accurate with less hyperbole.

Regards,
SB

HDTVTest first look at Samsung QD-OLED

OK, interesting that peak brightness can't be maintained for very long (~30 seconds) and that it requires an extended amount of time before it can hit peak brightness again. Probably not an issue if the source material doesn't hit peak brightness often.

Pixel shift (to save wear on OLED subpixels) is more noticeable than LG OLEDs. I don't really notice it on LG sets so I'm probably not going to notice it on Samsung sets. But something I'd have to check just in case.

Subpixel arrangement still makes me wonder if it'd be tolerable for me as a PC display, however. I'd kind of forgotten about that.

Regards,
SB

So QD-Oled doesnt really solve any OLED problems anyway. At least not the brightness one. The search continues.

Not that I really want to afford one, but I'd still not get a OLED for gaming due to burn in and being OCD about it, PERSONALLY. However no question seeing the latest Sony OLED and LCD next to each other in Best Buy, the OLED looks so much better.

However I still remember what a lay person told me about TV's, "doesnt matter what you get, maybe in store next to others one looks worse, but any of them will look fantastic in your home". Yes I know videophile disagree, but it's very true for most.

The lower end 75" TCL S series that hits only ~500+ nits brightness (this number seems to keep increasing on lower end, which is neat), 60 hz etc was on sale for 799 the other day. Have to admit it was tempting, considering the same size 6 series with all the bells and whistles is $1400. And do I REALLY need the bells and whistles? Being logical the answer is no. I certainly dont have the reaction time anymore to need 120 HZ in a FPS game for example! However, I am illogical. Maybe the $1400 one will have a great sale eventually.

I witnessed a 75" in someone else's home and it is absolutely gigantic. Truly going to be the last size stop for me, I have a small home.

So QD-Oled doesnt really solve any OLED problems anyway. At least not the brightness one. The search continues.

Not that I really want to afford one, but I'd still not get a OLED for gaming due to burn in and being OCD about it, PERSONALLY. However no question seeing the latest Sony OLED and LCD next to each other in Best Buy, the OLED looks so much better.

However I still remember what a lay person told me about TV's, "doesnt matter what you get, maybe in store next to others one looks worse, but any of them will look fantastic in your home". Yes I know videophile disagree, but it's very true for most.

The lower end 75" TCL S series that hits only ~500+ nits brightness (this number seems to keep increasing on lower end, which is neat), 60 hz etc was on sale for 799 the other day. Have to admit it was tempting, considering the same size 6 series with all the bells and whistles is $1400. And do I REALLY need the bells and whistles? Being logical the answer is no. I certainly dont have the reaction time anymore to need 120 HZ in a FPS game for example! However, I am illogical. Maybe the $1400 one will have a great sale eventually.

I witnessed a 75" in someone else's home and it is absolutely gigantic. Truly going to be the last size stop for me, I have a small home.

And in a bright room, oled losses its hdr "oomph".

Btw I wonder if qd oled solved other WOLED issues, like the inconsistent picture quality.

One day it's looking uniform and smooth, then another day it have worse uniformity, then yet a different day it have horizontal bands because you unknowingly interrupted the auto pixel refresher (no indication that it is on, other than it will make a relay click sound when it's finished).

Practically invisible for live action content but easy to notice for photoshop use, and anime with lazy animations (uh... Most anime?)

Btw the jump from 60 to 120 hz is not as prominent as from 30 to 60 IMO. an 60 hz TCL TV, that's usually have rather low lag, probably already feels good enough for most people

The one video of the Samsung QD-Oled that showed the entire screen picture alignment jumping / shifting was disturbing. I don't think I could tolerate it at all even when just gaming.

Some of the early YT videos about the Samsung seem extremely positive but I think they have some technical flaws. Some were running with consoles connected via an HDMI splitter connected to both to attempt to do side by side comparisons. The issues I saw were:
  1. They did not list if they had the displays calibrated at all or how the sets were configured!
  2. They did not list how they have their console settings calibrated to both TVs at the same time!
The fact that you need to have the console settings calibrated individually for each display for the best picture makes using an HDMI Splitter a huge mistake. You will always have one display configured sub-optimally that way. The videos also had Forza Horizon 5 looking so dim and muted on the LG when I know it shouldn't look that way at all.

Another video from Gaming Tech showed HGIG is not enabled on the Samsung, that it sort of has it but doesn't.

Then a different video where a Professional Calibrator expressed concerns about the Samsung color accuracy and how well it tracks to reference profiles. It reminded me of old discussions with folks being tricked by Vivid Mode and how it draws the likes despite it not being accurate at all.

Anyways, the HDTVTest video and RTings reviews will give us solid and professional information.

It's almost obscene how many pages there are just to read the past 4 days, somewhere around 40+ pages to go through. :oops:
40 pages w literally 2 posts of solid objective information. It’s all ego tripping. A giant echo chamber. Samsung doing their usual secret sauce pumping primary colors and over brightening the EOTF. the Samsung will win on the showroom floor at all times. But for critical viewing the Sony and lg oleds are the better bet

Samsung doing their usual secret sauce pumping primary colors and over brightening the EOTF. the Samsung will win on the showroom floor at all times. But for critical viewing the Sony and lg oleds are the better bet

That would be a shame because I would like to see technological advancement while providing the color accuracy and added features we've been spoiled with the past few years. Maybe in 3-4 years the advantages will be spread out everywhere. As you said, there's hope that Sony will deliver it with their processing with the same QD-OLED panel. It's going to hit our pocketbooks a bit more if we want it this year.

It's a bit of a shame the LG C2 model doesn't have 120 Hz BFI anymore. As long as they retain the other functionality and don't do something stupid, then it should be a solid incremental product.

That would be a shame because I would like to see technological advancement while providing the color accuracy and added features we've been spoiled with the past few years. Maybe in 3-4 years the advantages will be spread out everywhere. As you said, there's hope that Sony will deliver it with their processing with the same QD-OLED panel. It's going to hit our pocketbooks a bit more if we want it this year.

It's a bit of a shame the LG C2 model doesn't have 120 Hz BFI anymore. As long as they retain the other functionality and don't do something stupid, then it should be a solid incremental product.
I’ve got the C1 and the image quality downgrade for BFI just isn’t worth it for me. Gamma tracks too dark, crushed details, white subpixel pumping, etc.

Back