Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2023]

RTings burn-in test updates after 3 months. Does not look good initially for QD-OLED or for some Sony OLEDs either.

Guess I'll need a new TV in a few years :runaway: :LOL:

Yeah I heard QD-OLED can lose brightness after like 1300 hours.

Supposedly the fix is blue OLED, which has been pursued for a long time in OLED. It may not come before 2025.

RTings burn-in test updates after 3 months. Does not look good initially for QD-OLED or for some Sony OLEDs either.

Ouch. I still don't have any burn in on my LG CX. If there is, it's complete not visible. And I'm using it as my main PC display, granted I'm also doing all of those other things to minimize the risk of burn in. But all of those things don't impact how I use the PC at all.

Regards,
SB

For what it's worth, my A95K is still fabulous with zero signs of image retention, and I do play games for hours on end on it.

While my GZ2000 is one of the most IR/burn-in resistant OLED TV along with other Panasonic OLED flagships that feature some pretty thick heat sink, today's WOLED's simply are pretty much burn-in free nowadays. LG has learned their lesson and have been more conservative with luminance headroom. QD OLED still has some proving to do when it comes to life span, so while my next OLED TV will probably be a QD OLED, I will choose from Sony who is currently the most most conservative OLED TV brand instead of Samsung. I will defninitely miss my Panny's absolute lack of ABSL though, which simply cannot be disengaged from Sony unlike LG which can be done through going into service menu.

ah. so my experience with LG CX is not an anomaly then. no permanent burn in yet, despite using it as PC monitor.

Rtings missed 1 thing tho. LG's decsion to run "pixel refresh" as soon as the TV is off results in these things if you turn the TV on again before the refresh session has completed

• seeing white horizontal stripes moving vertically
  • seeing LOTS AND LOTS of horizontal stripes that persist for awhile (never exceeded 1 hour tho).

I got a new TV, the Hisense 75U6H, a few months ago. Really wanted to step up to 75". It only maxes at ~600 nits as it is a budget setup. And it does not have 120hz, but I intentionally saved the $ there. I feel like 120 HZ is of dubious benefit when games havent mastered 60 FPS yet, few support 120 hz, and at my old age I doubt my reaction times can tell. Of course I'd rather have the feature but given a choice of what to cut it was easy. Compared to my 2018 TCL that one hit 1000 nits and had IIRC 120? Dimming zones. The Hisense has 48. But at least it has local dimming as the next step down has none. OTOH the hisense has a QLED type layer giving it better color than my TCL, and I can tell. Overall I paid about 700 for the 75" hisense in 2023 and 1000 for the 65" TCL in 2018, and on average I feel the PQ is equal or better on the hisense all considered. I believe the Hisense is a IPS panel as well, which is a tradeoff versus the common VA, less native contrast for better viewing angles. I was worried as VA is apparently the preferred tech, but honestly I've been relieved IPS is great I dont notice a problem, and I do know I'm getting the better angles too. But I'm far from a videophile I always point out so YMMV on that.

Overall I'm really happy with the Hisense, probably moreso than the TCL. The TCL had vignetting in the corners, which always bothered me a bit more than it should as it really doesnt matter. The Hisense maybe has the tiniest amount but basically none. So I'm very pleased there.

The Hisense uses google tv or whatever where the TCL used Roku. It's a mixed bag IMO, I really dont mind I think I may prefer Google. But it is pretty choppy which is the main downfall. But for example going into live TV seems much more intuitive on the Google which is a big plus for me. Plus they put a TONNN of free streaming channels front and center for you, so you really dont even need cable in 2023.

I did come across a weird problem. I had vaguely noticed I didnt seem to be getting HDR popups, and one day I was in the Xbox settings where you can check your TV specs, because I was wondering if it supported 1080P 120 hz (no, apparently). I'm enough of an idiot I really cant generally tell if i'm viewing hdr or not especially on a new tv that looks different anyway. So I just assumed it was on or didnt care too much. Well I noticed the Xbox had it flagged as not supporting HDR10! Although it did support Dolby Vision (but it wasn't I dont think). I spend like an hour troubleshooting and googling, changed the HDMI cable just in case and everything. I eventually figured out the issue (which I had suspected). The HDMI ports were not set to enhanced. Which is NOT a obvious setting anywhere. You can only access it using the remote menu button not any of the regular TV settings or quick settings (so if you happened to lose the remote and be using a universal, I guess you are SOL). And ONLY when you are viewing the input in question does it even bring up the option. REALLY unbelievably stupid IMO. There's no way an average person will ever figure this out IMO and they'll just never get HDR. I had to deep google and find this out in reddit discussion. I could be wrong but I dont think it's covered in the paper manual either.

Anyways I got that sorted and now have glorious DOLBY VISION HDR in Halon Infinite, Starfield, even Destiny! It's nice. Destiny almost seemed like a new generation in some ways, just based on the HDR upgrade. The firebolt grenades now looked so detailed and amazing, and "orbs of power" now sparkle instead of just being gray blobs. It probably took a game I've played for 3k hours to really notice every fine detail I'd been missing. OTOH as weird as it sounds it will take some getting used too in Destiny. I used the Xbox HDR calibration app, and I'm pretty sure the net effect was to darken my picture a good bit. I'm sure I had it blown out in SDR as I'm a weirdo who likes bright screens. Which I'm sure it needed the darkening, but kinda bugs me on the surface at first, but I'm sure I'll get used to it and be much better off!

I also got my trusty (POS lol) Dolby Atmos soundbar in a much better place too. The TCL never played well with it and I ended up running Xbox to the soundbar, then soundbar to TV, which I did not like but had no choice seemingly. Now I finally got it Xbox to TV, TV to soundbar on the Hisense. It seems to be working much better as well. Everything sorted after months if not years, I am loving the setup. It looks and sounds fantastic and was inexpensive for each part too, even the series x is not too costly compared to a gaming pc. Hearing the birds chirping behind and to the left of me in Halo Infinite almost startled me at first! I get the Dolby Vision popup and my soundbar turns on a green led for signifying Atmos content for 5 seconds too. I am super pleased.

I got a new TV, the Hisense 75U6H, a few months ago. Really wanted to step up to 75". It only maxes at ~600 nits as it is a budget setup. And it does not have 120hz, but I intentionally saved the $ there. I feel like 120 HZ is of dubious benefit when games havent mastered 60 FPS yet, few support 120 hz, and at my old age I doubt my reaction times can tell. Of course I'd rather have the feature but given a choice of what to cut it was easy. Compared to my 2018 TCL that one hit 1000 nits and had IIRC 120? Dimming zones. The Hisense has 48. But at least it has local dimming as the next step down has none. OTOH the hisense has a QLED type layer giving it better color than my TCL, and I can tell. Overall I paid about 700 for the 75" hisense in 2023 and 1000 for the 65" TCL in 2018, and on average I feel the PQ is equal or better on the hisense all considered. I believe the Hisense is a IPS panel as well, which is a tradeoff versus the common VA, less native contrast for better viewing angles. I was worried as VA is apparently the preferred tech, but honestly I've been relieved IPS is great I dont notice a problem, and I do know I'm getting the better angles too. But I'm far from a videophile I always point out so YMMV on that.

Overall I'm really happy with the Hisense, probably moreso than the TCL. The TCL had vignetting in the corners, which always bothered me a bit more than it should as it really doesnt matter. The Hisense maybe has the tiniest amount but basically none. So I'm very pleased there.

The Hisense uses google tv or whatever where the TCL used Roku. It's a mixed bag IMO, I really dont mind I think I may prefer Google. But it is pretty choppy which is the main downfall. But for example going into live TV seems much more intuitive on the Google which is a big plus for me. Plus they put a TONNN of free streaming channels front and center for you, so you really dont even need cable in 2023.

I did come across a weird problem. I had vaguely noticed I didnt seem to be getting HDR popups, and one day I was in the Xbox settings where you can check your TV specs, because I was wondering if it supported 1080P 120 hz (no, apparently). I'm enough of an idiot I really cant generally tell if i'm viewing hdr or not especially on a new tv that looks different anyway. So I just assumed it was on or didnt care too much. Well I noticed the Xbox had it flagged as not supporting HDR10! Although it did support Dolby Vision (but it wasn't I dont think). I spend like an hour troubleshooting and googling, changed the HDMI cable just in case and everything. I eventually figured out the issue (which I had suspected). The HDMI ports were not set to enhanced. Which is NOT a obvious setting anywhere. You can only access it using the remote menu button not any of the regular TV settings or quick settings (so if you happened to lose the remote and be using a universal, I guess you are SOL). And ONLY when you are viewing the input in question does it even bring up the option. REALLY unbelievably stupid IMO. There's no way an average person will ever figure this out IMO and they'll just never get HDR. I had to deep google and find this out in reddit discussion. I could be wrong but I dont think it's covered in the paper manual either.

Anyways I got that sorted and now have glorious DOLBY VISION HDR in Halon Infinite, Starfield, even Destiny! It's nice. Destiny almost seemed like a new generation in some ways, just based on the HDR upgrade. The firebolt grenades now looked so detailed and amazing, and "orbs of power" now sparkle instead of just being gray blobs. It probably took a game I've played for 3k hours to really notice every fine detail I'd been missing. OTOH as weird as it sounds it will take some getting used too in Destiny. I used the Xbox HDR calibration app, and I'm pretty sure the net effect was to darken my picture a good bit. I'm sure I had it blown out in SDR as I'm a weirdo who likes bright screens. Which I'm sure it needed the darkening, but kinda bugs me on the surface at first, but I'm sure I'll get used to it and be much better off!

I also got my trusty (POS lol) Dolby Atmos soundbar in a much better place too. The TCL never played well with it and I ended up running Xbox to the soundbar, then soundbar to TV, which I did not like but had no choice seemingly. Now I finally got it Xbox to TV, TV to soundbar on the Hisense. It seems to be working much better as well. Everything sorted after months if not years, I am loving the setup. It looks and sounds fantastic and was inexpensive for each part too, even the series x is not too costly compared to a gaming pc. Hearing the birds chirping behind and to the left of me in Halo Infinite almost startled me at first! I get the Dolby Vision popup and my soundbar turns on a green led for signifying Atmos content for 5 seconds too. I am super pleased.
Hisense is making very good TVs, so congrats on your purchase. That being said, given you also have a TCL from 2018, maybe in the future you might find a reason to return to TCL, since they have incredibly TVs with never seen before specs. 5000 nits 5000+ dimming zones? o_O

Hisense is making very good TVs, so congrats on your purchase. That being said, given you also have a TCL from 2018, maybe in the future you might find a reason to return to TCL, since they have incredibly TVs with never seen before specs. 5000 nits 5000+ dimming zones? o_O

Yeah you absolutely cannot beat the value of the chinese dou of hisense and TCL IMO. Since I'm on a budget theyre the only game in town for me since for an equal dollar, they will tend to crush Sony or Samsung in the specs that you get. I always look at either hisense or TCL as equivalent it really doesnt matter to me. I havent kept up with the very latest, but 5k nits sounds like dangerous overkill :p

What ticks me off is I found a insane clearance a few months back before i bought the hisense, for the $1500+ TCl 75", I forget the model but it's equivalent to the hisense UH8 series, 2000 nits bright and all that, top of the line. It was clearance at nebraska furniture mart online for around $550. Like really insane that just doesnt happen. Anyways it was 600 something (still insane) but there was also like a 100 coupon bring it to like 550, I forgot to apply the coupon once I had it in my cart, I backed out to apply the coupon. Wouldn't you know it, TV was then sold out. It was such a crazy deal of course it sold out almost instantly. Really NFM messed up because that TV would have sold out at 1000 or 1200 super quick, no need to go that low at all. I should have just bought it at 650 was still insane. I also found out if you did their CS chat, you could have the coupon retroactively applied after purchase anyway. So I missed the deal for nothing! Oh well.

Anyone using the 42" LG C2 or equivalent Posé TV with an EVO panel as their monitor?

The 42" LG Posé (42LX1Q6LA) version is on sale right now for only $680 with VAT locally. That's a steal, right?

Anyone using the 42" LG C2 or equivalent Posé TV with an EVO panel as their monitor?

The 42" LG Posé (42LX1Q6LA) version is on sale right now for only $680 with VAT locally. That's a steal, right?

That's a really good price! If it was on sale for that here, I'd be tempted to get it for the bathroom so I could watch something while soaking in the tub. :D

Regards,
SB

Interesting video on image retention...

TL: DR - LG really good at eliminating short term image retention before it's really noticeable. Samsung are good on some OLED TVs and not on others. Sony, not good (why a 5+ hour delay???).

Regards,
SB

I did end up buying the LG 42LX1Q6LA for $680. The supplied legs are really short (raises the TV 45 cm from the floor) if you want to use it as a computer monitor but it does come with 300x200 VESA mounting points.

I did end up buying the LG 42LX1Q6LA for $680. The supplied legs are really short (raises the TV 45 cm from the floor) if you want to use it as a computer monitor but it does come with 300x200 VESA mounting points.

I have mine (55" CX) mounted to a rolling TV stand while I remodel the house. I'll probably mount it to the wall behind the desk once I get to that room.

Regards,
SB

Back