Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2022]

OK, this is not a review of a manufactured TV.

It's a prototype that the writer got access to at a Sony facility. This could be carefully-made prototypes which cost way more than panels which they hope to make at scale.

The question about this new type of OLED is what the yields are going to be like, which his going to affect how they price it and when it's available.

Some people on AVS speculate that they may ship in low quantities towards the end of the year.

The price premium over LG OLED may be 100% or more.

It's a prototype that the writer got access to at a Sony facility. This could be carefully-made prototypes which cost way more than panels which they hope to make at scale.

The question about this new type of OLED is what the yields are going to be like, which his going to affect how they price it and when it's available.

Some people on AVS speculate that they may ship in low quantities towards the end of the year.

The price premium over LG OLED may be 100% or more.

It should be clear that this is more than a technology preview. Sony doesn't even make the panel, so the only thing that could change would be the design? The underlying technology in the QD-OLED is finalised and production is ramping up at Samsung.

Aren't all quantum dot panels made by Samsung? I'm pretty sure Samsung are the only people making these panels.

Right and there are questions about what kind of yields they could get this year.
What I mean is, it would seem unlikely that Samsung would be providing future customers of their quantum dot panels with prototype panels that were not representative of quality of the mass produced panels.

What I mean is, it would seem unlikely that Samsung would be providing future customers of their quantum dot panels with prototype panels that were not representative of quality of the mass produced panels.

Samsung prices its TVs at a premium but have been losing market share in TVs over $1500 or $2000.

They have to displace LG OLED somehow, though QD-OLED is expected to be more costly. Hence one reason they aren't planning panels bigger than 65 inches right away.

They are also working on QNED as the next thing. QD-OLED may be a transitional product, unless they get great yields.

By BF we will see if QD-OLED is available in volume and what kind of a price premium it will carry over discounted LG C2 models and others. LG's WOLED probably can't compete in quality but it will compete in price. If QD-OLED has 50% or more price premium over WOLED, LG should keep or make market share gains in the higher price tiers.

Samsung prices its TVs at a premium but have been losing market share in TVs over $1500 or $2000.

I'm lost and can't keep up. What does this have to do with prototype displays? Samsung Display Ltd makes a lot of different types of panel, most of which Samsung Electronics don't even put inside their own TVs.

I'm lost and can't keep up. What does this have to do with prototype displays? Samsung Display Ltd makes a lot of different types of panel, most of which Samsung Electronics don't even put inside their own TVs.

you don’t see any relationship between what TVs sell for and what kind of panels a display manufacturer develops and invests in?

Yes Samsung Displays and Samsung Electronics are separate divisions of the same conglomerate. Do you think they would be allowed to pursue divergent strategies?

you don’t see any relationship between what TVs sell for and what kind of panels a display manufacturer develops and invests in?
No, there is none. The two biggest panel manufactures are LG Display Ltd and Samsung Display Ltd and they both produce more varieties of panel for external customers than they do for each company's TV/monitor divisions. Which also answers your other question. If a company has expertise in panels, there will be external customers who have different product strategies.

And if you don't fulfil that need - and make some money into the bargain - somebody else will.

Margins on consumer electronics are thin.

LCD panels aren’t making big money. OLED TVs command higher prices.

Only types of displays which carry bigger margins are those that end up on TVs which command premium prices.

Yeah LG and Samsung ship way greater volumes of LCD panels, just as way more LCD TVs under $700 are sold than those priced at $1700 or greater. I believe the 65 inch C1 goes for about that these days.

But which TVs make more money for the whole manufacturing chain?

There’s a reason why they invest in developing or refining these more expensive displays.

It should be clear that this is more than a technology preview. Sony doesn't even make the panel, so the only thing that could change would be the design? The underlying technology in the QD-OLED is finalised and production is ramping up at Samsung.
Also it bears noting that we can only wait for more reviews, as the set isn't due to come out until May/June apparently. So far it looks amazing but of course we can only wait and see if the final product is at the same level, which personally I believe it will be. So no harm done!

Unless they're in full production now, it would be a prototype.

As would the TV they previewed was.

When was it built? WAs it built recently, long after whatever demo units they had at CES?

As would the TV they previewed was.

When was it built? WAs it built recently, long after whatever demo units they had at CES?

The panel has been in mass production since late 2021 which means small batches of panels were being produced for QA and validation purposes for quite some time.

Sony probably has early production panels for the purpose of QA and validation of the TV models that use the panels.

LG wouldn’t give Sony an early prototype especially one more performant than the production panel just wow reviewers with a ringer.

Hmm mass production?

If they do come out at the same time as other TVs shown at CES, in decent volume, PS5/Xbox volumes in the first few months after launch, that would be interesting.

If Sony only have a prototype panel (your claim), how could they meaningfully design the rest of the TV like the imagine processing if that panel isn't representative of the quality of the panels from mass production? They would have to re-do all that work. :???:

I guess we will see soon if they’re mass producing panels now, a couple of months?

I hope they do ship in good quantity by June.

question about HDR: is there any source of info on how panel manufacturers achieve half of 10 bit precision below 100 nits while doing some 1000 nits of maximum light output?

In HDR format half of 10-bit precision is used up to 100 nits so I'm wondering how they reproduce that while also maintaining high maximum light output.

btw. QD-OLED preview

Back