Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you guys with LG OLED TVs bothered with color shift into green when viewing from the side?

I already discarded VA panels from my purchase decisions because of bad color shifts (and brightness loss) which I clearly see even on small 27" monitor and only recently realized that LG OLEDs are also not great in this aspect.

I also realized that shift into blue is more tolerable/pleasant for me than shifts into green/red.

New Are you guys with LG OLED TVs bothered with color shift into green when viewing from the side?

What angle are you meaning?

With most large sets (55 inch or higher) you won't really see the effect unless you're up close on the side, which doesn't seem comfortable viewing or means you're watching from another side room like the kitchen making snacks. At least that's what I found when viewing my parent's 2018 65" TCL R618. There's supposed to be a drastic shift on it but it looks very good when in the actual living room (around 12' wide by 20' deep with the TV on the 12' wall).

Are you guys with LG OLED TVs bothered with color shift into green when viewing from the side?

I already discarded VA panels from my purchase decisions because of bad color shifts (and brightness loss) which I clearly see even on small 27" monitor and only recently realized that LG OLEDs are also not great in this aspect.

I also realized that shift into blue is more tolerable/pleasant for me than shifts into green/red.

I haven't really noticed color shift on my CX panel.

From my experience, from best to worst for color shift.

OLED > IPS > VA > TN

For black levels, from best to worst.

OLED > VA > IPS > TN

With IPS and VA it was always a trade off of better color accuracy and color shift at off angles for IPS panels versus better black levels and contrast for VA panels. Fortunately, with OLED it's the best of both worlds.

The drawback for OLED, however, is potential burn in when leaving static images or elements on the screen for greatly extended periods of time. So, I am careful with my CX which I use as a PC monitor (probably one of the worst use cases for OLED). So far, there's been Zero burn in, but I've only had it for like half a year now.

Regards,
SB

As other have said, I've not noticed anything but at worst I'm about 80 degrees off centre of my 55" LG OLED.

What angle are you meaning?

I mean if you sit in front of the TV your eyes will see edges of the screen from the angle, the closer you sit angle gets higher. It was very noticable on 40" VA panel from 2 meters.

I haven't really noticed color shift on my CX panel.

that's good to hear, I have bad experience with mobile phone oled screens, because they always look greenish and rtings show something similar in their measurements https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c1-oled so I became cautios.

I mean if you sit in front of the TV your eyes will see edges of the screen from the angle, the closer you sit angle gets higher. It was very noticable on 40" VA panel from 2 meters.

that's good to hear, I have bad experience with mobile phone oled screens, because they always look greenish and rtings show something similar in their measurements https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c1-oled so I became cautios.

My 55cx have subtle color shift on pc distance. None on TV distance

Those C9 owners... Why do they feel so entitled? The TV didn't come with DV 120hz promise but they feel they should get that feature... What is wrong with these people? I initially thought that they were promised 4k 120hz but didn't get that, but they actually do get that, just not DV at that config.
Not sure what my feeling about DV. Why we need that in the first place? Because the inability for TV manufacturer to agree on how TV is supposed to be calibrated?

Those C9 owners... Why do they feel so entitled? The TV didn't come with DV 120hz promise but they feel they should get that feature... What is wrong with these people? I initially thought that they were promised 4k 120hz but didn't get that, but they actually do get that, just not DV at that config.
Not sure what my feeling about DV. Why we need that in the first place? Because the inability for TV manufacturer to agree on how TV is supposed to be calibrated?

And I think c9 will be one of the best case of features added via updates on TV.

Even on CX, lg already way more conservative in adding new features to it. Making the features exclusive to C1.

A look at Auto HDR Tone Mapping settings from Sony pairings:

The "Auto HDR Tone Mapping" feature on the PS5 - first described in Sony's "Perfect for Playstation 5" campaign - is now operational, following a firmware update on compatible Sony TVs, namely those with the BRAVIA XR processor (Sony X90J, X95J, A80J, A90J & Z9J on firmware v6.4284), as well as last year's Sony X900H or XH90 (firmware version v6.1534).

With the PS5's automatic HGiG adjustments on the Sony X900H or XH90, all our findings of clipped highlights, washed-out picture and elevated blacks are still valid, which is why we still advise manual adjustments.

Looks like LG OLED panels are starting to make it to 2nd/3rd tier display makers. They can be had for cheap, but they do come with compromises.

They are likely using B-grade panels which are likely a step down from what you get in LG or Sony sets, but it can be a cheap way to get an OLED set. Just be aware it's unlikely to have the more advanced methods for reducing the risk of burn-in that LG sets have.

Regards,
SB

Looks like LG OLED panels are starting to make it to 2nd/3rd tier display makers. They can be had for cheap, but they do come with compromises.

They are likely using B-grade panels which are likely a step down from what you get in LG or Sony sets, but it can be a cheap way to get an OLED set. Just be aware it's unlikely to have the more advanced methods for reducing the risk of burn-in that LG sets have.

Regards,
SB

Seems like a bad idea to me. He also mentions they will not get nearly as bright. Overall an LG will just be so much better in so many areas IMO. The thing is the price difference doesnt make it worth it. It'd be like paying 70k for a knockoff Mercedes when a real one cost 100k. 70k is too much to pay for something compromised so badly. Similarly with a $900 TV.

But I wonder why TCL, Hisense and the other value brands dont get in on this idea and offer something more compelling?

Some of the recent LG C1 & G1 OLED TVs with a build date of September 2021 or later have been affected by an HDCP 2.2 bug which prevents the TV from playing 4K HDR sources (including from PS5, Xbox Series X, Sky Q & 4K Blu-ray players).

LG has promised a software fix via firmware update which is estimated to arrive before the end of November 2021

Seems like a bad idea to me. He also mentions they will not get nearly as bright. Overall an LG will just be so much better in so many areas IMO. The thing is the price difference doesnt make it worth it. It'd be like paying 70k for a knockoff Mercedes when a real one cost 100k. 70k is too much to pay for something compromised so badly. Similarly with a $900 TV.

But I wonder why TCL, Hisense and the other value brands dont get in on this idea and offer something more compelling?

It all depends on what fits into your budget? The question isn't necessarily whether it's as good as the LG set or is even a good budget offering compared to the LG set. The question is whether it's good compared to other TVs in it's discounted price range (no-one would be silly enough to pay MSRP for it). In that sense, I can't think of many LCD TVs in that price range that I would pick up instead of this.

Or think of it another way, you pay more for a Sony OLED than for a comparable LG OLED, but the Sony OLED comes with some compromises compared to the LG set. Lack of VRR, doesn't have the entire suite of burn-in mitigation/prevention measures, etc. Similarly with the Vizio sets, except they are at least cheaper than the comparable LG set by a little bit, but they are also "compromised" compared to the LG sets, but people still find value in them.

For me, I could afford the LG set when I was in the market, so I got one. If I couldn't have afforded it, I would have gotten the Vizio despite some of the drawbacks. If I couldn't afford the Vizio, I would give serious consideration to this set. I don't run my LG OLED at max or anywhere close to max brightnes, so the diminished brightness wouldn't be that much of a deterrent for me, although I can see why it might be for some.

Since LCD displays aren't even an option for me anymore (no way I can go back to LCD displays after having this LG CX), then if I couldn't afford an LG or Vizio, this thing would be the only option for me. /shrug.

That said, not everyone is annoyed by the inaccurate blacks, loss of detail when there is motion on screen, irregular backlighting or backlight bleed with LCDs as I am.

Regards,
SB

Well LG threw a curveball to people as well, when they got the A1 series on the market without a bunch of these features.
My guess is these 3rd parties are using A-level panels and hardware (but HDMI 2.1 input maybe?), but at that point I wonder if LG's price isn't similar.

That said, not everyone is annoyed by the inaccurate blacks, loss of detail when there is motion on screen, irregular backlighting or backlight bleed with LCDs as I am.
You know what they say about OLEDs.
Once you go (perfectly uniform pitch) black, you cannot go back.

Well LG threw a curveball to people as well, when they got the A1 series on the market without a bunch of these features.
My guess is these 3rd parties are using A-level panels and hardware (but HDMI 2.1 input maybe?), but at that point I wonder if LG's price isn't similar.

You know what they say about OLEDs.
Once you go (perfectly uniform pitch) black, you cannot go back.

OLED is great but still not perfect.

The black smear (basically unnoticeable on my lg CX tho), the color bleeds (only visible when sitting on pc distance on my lg CX), DSE & uniformity issue (practically invisible for most scenes), the image retention (fortunately hadn't got a permanent burn on my CX), the faint scanlines-like horizontal lines (only became apparent after auto pixel refresh was interrupted).... They also keeps changing almost every single day.

Oh and the ABL and auto dimmer. Basically invisible for movies and games but for pc use, it's very easy to notice.

Other things like screen shift that chop off a few pixels on the edges are basically non issue. Unless you use windows 10 Taskbar on the sides.. Then sometimes you will not be able to see the thin line to indicate active apps as it'll be chopped off.

Edit:

And lg oled are ridiculously thin (why? Isn't thicker = able to add better cooling =longer oled subpixels life span = less ABL needed?). So it's impossible to stack anything above the TV.

Fortunately I still can hang my ps4 camera on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back