Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2023]

A new year ... a new thread? Here's a link to the previous thread if anyone needs it.

Just thought of this as I recently heard about the LG G3.

It's supposed to be 70% brighter than the 2022 LG G2. It keeps the heatsink from the previous model and adds a Micro Lens Array.

It also has a new Micro Lens Array (MLA) panel like the Panasonic MZ2000, which is designed to increase brightness by adding a layer of billions of micrometer-sized convex lenses over the OLED panel. The lenses redirect light previously reflected inwards, out of the screen instead.

There are other improvements related to image processing in the new LG models, but the MLA for the G3 caught my eye.

Regards,
SB

I want an OLED to replace my Sony XH90 (subtitles bloom up the picture way too much). Will probably buy last years Sony OLED if no one else has a better suggestion.

I'm eyeing the LG G3 for the MLA improvements.

The one aspect of the G series they did better was the TV Stand. Yes, I know you should mount it on the wall, but if you don't have that setup you need to buy a separate stand and they currently angle the TV. I don't think anyone wants that.

C series usually got the same panel as g series, but delayed a few months iirc

There was slight differences on the C2/G2 with the heatsink. There are big differences for 2023 -- the C3 will NOT get MLA that G3 is getting.

nice that they finally add heatsinks. the ridiculous thinness of CX is pretty much useless. other than to make it bendy (uh.. its supposed to bend right? when you were lying it down horizontally to install the stand, and then when you set it upright again?)

I'm eyeing the LG G3 for the MLA improvements.

The one aspect of the G series they did better was the TV Stand. Yes, I know you should mount it on the wall, but if you don't have that setup you need to buy a separate stand and they currently angle the TV. I don't think anyone wants that.

I bought a LG C1 and ignored the standard stand and just got a RFIVER TV Stand. You can easily put a real center speaker below the TV.

Best decision I've made.

Edit: I have a 140cm wide low-board so this fits nicely.

I bought a LG C1 and ignored the standard stand and just got a RFIVER TV Stand. You can easily put a real center speaker below the TV.

Best decision I've made.

Edit: I have a 140cm wide low-board so this fits nicely.
yeah, the stand is too short. maybe even too short for soundbars. anyway i placed my LG CX on top of a block of wood

1674185167896.png

It was funny LG was showing their 3100 nits G4 prototype right next to their TV this CES. It was pretty like "Don't buy our G series this year or we will strike you with Buyer's Remorse next year."

It was funny LG was showing their 3100 nits G4 prototype right next to their TV this CES. It was pretty like "Don't buy our G series this year or we will strike you with Buyer's Remorse next year."
Damn.

That might have changed my plans. I was sort of considering maybe the G3 because of MLA improvements, but if G4 is that much better the G3 is off the table. I'm now probably leaning towards picking up a really inexpensive C2 (last year's model) when the clearance deals kick in. Then when MLA is brought into the C-series, maybe in 2026 or 2027, upgrading to that and not feeling bad at all cause of how cheap the C2 was.

Damn.

That might have changed my plans. I was sort of considering maybe the G3 because of MLA improvements, but if G4 is that much better the G3 is off the table. I'm now probably leaning towards picking up a really inexpensive C2 (last year's model) when the clearance deals kick in. Then when MLA is brought into the C-series, maybe in 2026 or 2027, upgrading to that and not feeling bad at all cause of how cheap the C2 was.

But then when the G4 hits, there's a good chance something even better will be right around the corner. :p

Regards,
SB

But then when the G4 hits, there's a good chance something even better will be right around the corner. :p

Regards,
SB

Which makes it even more economically feasible to get the C2 instead of the G3. Also, I won't know about anything beyond the G4 during the "2022 C2 Clearance Waves" that will happen during the spring. This kind of takes me back to what I said in the prior years topics, instead of going top tier go bargain price and upgrade more often.

Damn.

Been tempted to do something similar. C2 the lowest it got was $1700 for the 65-incher.

Sony QD OLED, the lowest it got was $3000.

They're now a couple hundred more.

I want to see what Sony does with their second gen QD-OLED. Maybe they use the Pentatonic Mediatek and have more than 2 HDMI 2.1 inputs. Expected to announce no later than spring, probably ship around May or June.

LG, they may increase brightness but they're still behind on color volume.

Still they're likely to offer lower prices so may be a good way to jump in at relatively low price and upgrade later. TCL was reportedly going to offer QD OLED later this year.

Some people speculate that if mini LED can get 20k dimming zones or greater, they could be very competitive with OLED in blacks and other metrics. But they need more capable SOCs.

I'm expecting to see the 65" C2 drop to around $1400 - $1500 during the upcoming clearance wave.

I would love to see what TCL does with a QD-Oled. I dont think it would be produced by Samsung Display, as they are production limited. I think most of their displays would be used by their own Samsung Electronics division.

The mini-led hopefully gets to that point by 2025.

Well by 2025 or 2026, people are hoping that some long-lasting blue phosphor for OLED screens are starting to be integrated into displays.

Suppose to improve performance and even burn-in.

But things get delayed and I think there were some predictions that we'd have that by now.

Btw turns out my lg CX got more DSE on movie subtitle area when showing 25% gray.

Desktop static area like Taskbar and top menu still look uniform enough.

Despite I use lg CX mostly for pc monitor instead of movies.

Maybe because Netflix, appletv, etc use annoyingly bright subtitle in HDR?

I need to use plex to enjoy comfortable subtitle.

Btw turns out my lg CX got more DSE on movie subtitle area when showing 25% gray.

Desktop static area like Taskbar and top menu still look uniform enough.

Despite I use lg CX mostly for pc monitor instead of movies.

Maybe because Netflix, appletv, etc use annoyingly bright subtitle in HDR?

I need to use plex to enjoy comfortable subtitle.
You can change how subtitles look on both streaming platforms?

Back