Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2022]

HDTVTest LG G2 review

OK, that's pretty cool that they make it really easy to turn it into an Ultra-Wide monitor for PC gaming without the need to create custom resolutions. Although I wonder I don't think you can use that simultaneously with the 4K mode so that you can have a 16:9 desktop while having a 21:9 or 32:9 AR. In that sense setting up custom resolutions for your GPU could still be a better option as long as the game will detect custom resolutions. And since blacks are completely black, there's very little drawback compared to using a comparably wide 21:9 or 32:9 display. The only drawback is that the display will take up more vertical space on the desk (I've never noticed this to be a problem) with the benefit of having a much larger desktop workspace when not gaming. Win - Win, IMO. Oh wait, the other drawback is not having a curved option. I'd love it if LG brought back their curved OLED TV designs.

So, all in all, as long as you get a display with the new EVO panels, then it offers a superior gaming experience to the Samsung QD-OLED TV.

Also somewhat surprised that there is less image retention on the new EVO panels than the Samsung QD-OLED panel. That doesn't mean that there is increased risk of burn in on the QD-OLED panels as they could be very resilient. But it's certainly something to keep an eye on.

It's tempting to get a new LG TV that has an EVO panel, but my CX is still fine for me and I like having an LCD (even with the horrid blacks when side by side with an OLED :p) to have all the things that are either permanently up or have static things on screen for very lengthy periods of time (like is often the case with document creation or editing). The latter is likely fine as long as I remember to move them around every once in a while, but just sticking those on an LCD display where the lack of true blacks isn't an issue (black text on white backgrounds) is a good way to ensure that there's virtually no chance for any long term burn-in (or more accurately burn-out :p).

Regards,
SB

I bought a CX last June and it looks great to me out of the box. I haven't tried to tweak it too much.

I'm sure if I pixel peep and put up UHD BD pictures, you can spot things.

The obvious things are bad motion on sports, banding, things like that. My Panasonic plasmas showed banding with some Blu Rays.

I will probably subscribe the Apple TV + soon and it's suppose to have the highest bitrates of all the streaming services so we'll see if flaws are more noticeable.

I bought a CX last June and it looks great to me out of the box. I haven't tried to tweak it too much.

I'm sure if I pixel peep and put up UHD BD pictures, you can spot things.

The obvious things are bad motion on sports, banding, things like that. My Panasonic plasmas showed banding with some Blu Rays.

I will probably subscribe the Apple TV + soon and it's suppose to have the highest bitrates of all the streaming services so we'll see if flaws are more noticeable.

if its banding when showing gradient like skies, then the gradient smoother function should be able to clear it with low or medium setting. if its the banding on solids, then you just need to wait for the tv to self-calibrate.

Rundown of the 42" sets, LG C2 and Alienware QD-Oled

So I pre-ordered the A95K, pending the first reviews. It says delivery after 13th June so I have loads of time to cancel it if it turns out the G2 is ultimately a better TV.

S95B just not doing it for me, everyone is now talking about the build quality, on top of it being not accurate and a bit buggy. No thanks.

Anyone check out the Sony A80J?

It's on sale at BB, along with the C1. Actually $100 cheaper right now.

So the con is only 2 HDMI 2.1 ports instead of the 4 that the C1 has. Also probably higher latency than the C1.

But Sony generally has better rep for motion handling and scaling, so maybe better for watching TV.

Right now, the only HDMI 2.1 source device would be a game console and I don't have either the PS5 or the Xbox Series X.

Maybe in a few years, I would regret not having more HDMI 2.1 ports, unless AVR receivers come out with better 2.1 support.

Anyone check out the Sony A80J?

It's on sale at BB, along with the C1. Actually $100 cheaper right now.

So the con is only 2 HDMI 2.1 ports instead of the 4 that the C1 has. Also probably higher latency than the C1.

But Sony generally has better rep for motion handling and scaling, so maybe better for watching TV.

Right now, the only HDMI 2.1 source device would be a game console and I don't have either the PS5 or the Xbox Series X.

Maybe in a few years, I would regret not having more HDMI 2.1 ports, unless AVR receivers come out with better 2.1 support.

The LG C1 is better than the A80j in most ways. Better viewing angles, better handling of reflections, better grey uniformity.

The Sony has worse image retention but better color accuracy.

The LG has slightly better pixel response with a much better VRR implementaiton. It also has better input latency as well as support for 1440p/120 Hz which the Sony lacks.

They both have roughly the same HDR brightness but the Sony has a bit better SDR brightness.

LG C1 OLED Review (OLED48C1PUB, OLED55C1PUB, OLED65C1PUB, OLED77C1PUB, OLED83C1PUA) - RTINGS.com

Sony A80J OLED Review (XR-55A80J, XR-65A80J, XR-77A80J) - RTINGS.com

Basically for anything other than movie watching the LG is the better TV. And if you are going to use it for PC, definitely don't get the Sony where it's worse handling of image retention will be far more noticeable.

The worse image retention handling also would make me potentially more worried about possible long term burn in with the Sony set.

Regards,
SB

Looks like RTings has their Samsung QD-Oled review up @ https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/s95b-oled

Ouch...

The Samsung S95B handles direct reflections incredibly well, but there are some flaws. Due to the lack of a polarizer, if you're in a room with any ambient lighting, the TV has a pink tint to it even when it's off. Bright lights are still distracting in a bright room, but it cuts the mirror effect slightly better than the LG G2 OLED. On the other hand, blacks look much better on the G2 when you're in a room with any ambient light.

Basically if there's any ambient lightly in the room you won't be able to see true blacks.

Also, I'm surprised that they didn't make note of how color accuracy is not correct when viewing any content due to the inability to disable "vibrant" mode (as noted by HDTVTest).

Other than that and a slightly worse pixel response time compared to LG OLEDs, it's pretty impressive. But those are deal breakers for me, I just cannot go back to a screen where the blacks aren't REALLY black all the time regardless of how much light I have in the room. I absolutely love that when the background of the TV is black, I can never tell where the panel ends and where the bezel begins.

Regards,
SB

Ouch...

Basically if there's any ambient lightly in the room you won't be able to see true blacks.

Also, I'm surprised that they didn't make note of how color accuracy is not correct when viewing any content due to the inability to disable "vibrant" mode (as noted by HDTVTest).

Other than that and a slightly worse pixel response time compared to LG OLEDs, it's pretty impressive. But those are deal breakers for me, I just cannot go back to a screen where the blacks aren't REALLY black all the time regardless of how much light I have in the room. I absolutely love that when the background of the TV is black, I can never tell where the panel ends and where the bezel begins.

Regards,
SB
I read that too and it's really confusing, again. Rtings are the only ones who state that with *ANY* light the set looks a bit shit (paraphrasing here). Everyone else does not report it as such. So again, all very confusing and again, I'm going to have to see this in person.

RTi gs did comment on the lack of color tracking in the one section, but not in all sections. I would have thought it would be mentioned more or in the overall section.
Overall, the Samsung S95B OLED is about as bright in 'Game' Mode as it is in 'Movie' Mode, but real scenes are slightly dimmer. It doesn't track the PQ EOTF well, though, as most scenes are terribly over-brightened. Setting ST.2084 to '-3' helps a lot, as the EOTF is much closer to the target brightness, but it's still a bit too bright.

I read that too and it's really confusing, again. Rtings are the only ones who state that with *ANY* light the set looks a bit shit (paraphrasing here). Everyone else does not report it as such. So again, all very confusing and again, I'm going to have to see this in person.

I do wonder if most of the people that aren't noticing are ones that are coming from LCD TVs rather than people who have been using an LG OLED for over a year?

Or if the people are just so wowed by the vivid (bleh) colors that they kind of ignore it?

It also might not be as noticeable if you don't see it side by side with an LG OLED in a dimly lit room.

Regards,
SB

I do wonder if most of the people that aren't noticing are ones that are coming from LCD TVs rather than people who have been using an LG OLED for over a year?

Or if the people are just so wowed by the vivid (bleh) colors that they kind of ignore it?

It also might not be as noticeable if you don't see it side by side with an LG OLED in a dimly lit room.

Regards,
SB
Well there’s a huge difference between what Rtings state, that ANY light makes the screen gray, and everyone else stating that only bright and harsh light directed at the screen makes it look gray.

Last edited:
Well there’s a huge difference between what Rtings state, that ANY light makes the screen gray, and everyone else stating that only bright and harsh light directed at the screen makes it look gray.

I'm sure in that case they have it side by side with an LG OLED, so any minute differences are going to stand out because black is just black on the LG. That's why I mention all of those other factors that might lead someone to not notice if the QD-OLED isn't pure black with some light interacting with the screen.

Basically, there's various conditions where a person maybe wouldn't notice and as long as they don't compare it to an LG OLED, it'll be the blackest blacks that they've seen. /shrug.

IIRC - HDTVTest also mentioned that the QD-OLED was only truly black if the lights were off or the lights were very very very dim, like movie theater dim.

Regardless, it's nice that there's another OLED panel maker on the market. And considering it's their first (new) generation large screen OLED (ignoring their previous OLED panels from years and years ago), they can learn from any potential mistakes that they make on this one to improve their next panel.

Regards,
SB

I'm sure in that case they have it side by side with an LG OLED, so any minute differences are going to stand out because black is just black on the LG. That's why I mention all of those other factors that might lead someone to not notice if the QD-OLED isn't pure black with some light interacting with the screen.

Basically, there's various conditions where a person maybe wouldn't notice and as long as they don't compare it to an LG OLED, it'll be the blackest blacks that they've seen. /shrug.

IIRC - HDTVTest also mentioned that the QD-OLED was only truly black if the lights were off or the lights were very very very dim, like movie theater dim.

Regardless, it's nice that there's another OLED panel maker on the market. And considering it's their first (new) generation large screen OLED (ignoring their previous OLED panels from years and years ago), they can learn from any potential mistakes that they make on this one to improve their next panel.

Regards,
SB
Yeah, ideally I'd like to wait for next year's QD-OLEDs, but I can't live with this thing another year, and then I'd fall into the "wait for next year" cycle.

Yeah, ideally I'd like to wait for next year's QD-OLEDs, but I can't live with this thing another year, and then I'd fall into the "wait for next year" cycle.

I know that feeling!

I was doing that with the LG OLEDs. I started thinking about getting one with the 7/8 series but concern about burn in when used with a PC kept me from getting one. The 9 series was really close. Then I finally pulled the trigger with the X series because I was satisfied that burn in risk was pretty low by then. Absolutely no regrets even though the 2 series (I hate their naming scheme. :p) with the EVO panels (55" and higher) are now brighter and lighter than my CX and make me tempted to get one. But the CX is still REALLY good, so I can still wait a few years before thinking about getting another one. :)

Regards,
SB

I suddenly decided after years of railing against them I wanted an OLED. However my main game is Destiny and from a little googling it's still just a no go. The super bar is yellow and always/often onscreen and according to reports a big problem because yellow is one of the worst colors for burn in. Plus I have thousands of Destiny hours, not one of these "I have 80 hrs in X game and no burn in" types. Oh well ppl dont talk about it but I notice on Rtings the local dimming LEDS are now hitting 8000-9000 contrast. That's honestly like way way above what any LED was a few years ago I think. Honestly feels like LEDs may be gone at least at the high end in a few years, just like in phones. Dont know what I'd do then. I generally cant stand LCD's on phones anymore.

Current OLEDs should be fine even with that, so anything C9 or newer meaning C9, CX, C1, or C2. I'd be surprised if there's any reported issues with those.

Current OLEDs should be fine even with that, so anything C9 or newer meaning C9, CX, C1, or C2. I'd be surprised if there's any reported issues with those.

There are issues if you disable some of the OLED burn in mitigation features of the LG sets as some PC users do. For example, some will disable the auto dimming feature when the LG set detects that there hasn't been any significant changes shown on screen in X amount of time. That can be disastrous when used in a PC context with a PC that is used for work AND gaming where some elements might be on screen for 8-16 hours a day, every day combined with not manually moving around static elements. So every time they walk away from the PC to use the bathroom, get a drink, talk on the phone, answer the door, deal with their kids, whatever. It's burning at max brightness for no reason.

Basically tinkering with the service menu to disable features meant to prolong the life of the OLED subpixels isn't a great idea, especially for certain PC activities.

Then on top of that if they don't regularly turn off the screen, then the LG set won't have an opportunity to do its subpixel refresh routine.

Not an issue for the vast majority of LG OLED users, but there are some users who pathologically use their LG set in a harmful way.

Regards,
SB

Back