Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2022]

Haven't watched yet, but seems to focus on Gaming tests.

And another video with the cons:

Ouch, that is so bad that they felt they needed to not only cheat but in attempting to deliberately mislead reviewers and calibrators in order to appear as if they weren't cheating, they've potentially made it almost impossible to have accurate colors on their own QD-OLED TVs. That's just a crying shame.

That basically means the Samsung QD-OLED TVs aren't for me. Unfortunately the Sony set is likely to have more accurate colors (crossing fingers) but with a matt coating on the screen that will make blacks look grey except at night when I have more control over the lighting in the room. But that would only help when watching movies as I prefer to have lights on when working or playing games.

Bleh. Maybe Panasonic or someone will make a QD-OLED with a glossy screen without screwing with the color accuracy of the panel.

Regards,
SB

Ouch, that is so bad that they felt they needed to not only cheat but in attempting to deliberately mislead reviewers and calibrators in order to appear as if they weren't cheating, they've potentially made it almost impossible to have accurate colors on their own QD-OLED TVs. That's just a crying shame.

That basically means the Samsung QD-OLED TVs aren't for me. Unfortunately the Sony set is likely to have more accurate colors (crossing fingers) but with a matt coating on the screen that will make blacks look grey except at night when I have more control over the lighting in the room. But that would only help when watching movies as I prefer to have lights on when working or playing games.

Bleh. Maybe Panasonic or someone will make a QD-OLED with a glossy screen without screwing with the color accuracy of the panel.

Regards,
SB
Good old Samsung doing what Samsung does!

Reality is, most people don’t care about accurate colours so they love the “pop” of Samsung’s image - they do this on all their TVs.

This is just exacerbated by the fact that this time around it is not an LED TV, but a QD with infinite contrast and HUGE colour gamut.

Nothing new and thanks Samsung for proving me right. I’ll wait for the Sony reviews.

I don't really pursue color accuracy that much. I don't calibrate my monitor because of the thousands of photos I take I probably wouldn't remember if the roofs of Lisbon, Portugal were the exact shade of red coming across in my photos.

I've played around with things like saturation and vibrancy in post-processing and I don't think the results are worth the time it takes.

For TVs, I never go with Vivid modes or dial up color settings.

I will say the photos and videos comparing WOLED and QD-OLED and the latter showing pop does make me interested.

However, I can get a 65-inch C1 these days for $1700 vs. $2500 for C2 and $3000 for the 65-inch Samsung QD-OLED and $4000 for the Sony QD-OLED.

If this were my forever TV or I could expect at least 10 years of use, I'd pay for the Sony. But QD-OLED is a first-gen tech and I don't watch enough high-quality sources, at least not yet.

Still viewing a lot of content over cable TV, which is low bitrate 720p.

At some point I will subscribe to Apple TV + which is suppose to have the highest 4K HDR bitrates.

I don't know if I will get into UHD BD. I've pretty much converted to files and streams over discs. Used to be a big proponent of DVD and then Blu Ray and UHD BD in the early days. On paper, much superior PQ and AQ. But managing discs sucks.

I purchased a nice piece of furniture to store all my DVDs and Blu Rays and it's mostly full already. I haven't bought discs in probably 5 years and a lot of the discs on the shelves are unopened. I did rip some Blu Rays for awhile but it's a tedious process. And I know ripping UHD BDs is even more of a hassle.

So I've tipped over from quality to convenience, as most people have. I used to carry around up to a dozen CDs in my car -- never got one of those CD changers. Now I have hundreds of hours of music on my iPhone and I'm not listening to it that often. But I have plenty of listening material.

My iPad that I take for travel will have dozens of hours of video content so the convenience is unbeatable. I remember people used to pack CDs and DVDs in these wallets and carry around portable Discman or those portable DVD players with a built-in LCD screen.

I haven't made a final decision, though my plasma power supply is faltering. I guess I will go check out the stores at some point but they run these very high-quality demos, which probably have way higher bitrates than any stream or most rips. Most of the time though I will be watching cable TV so I don't know if there's a way to get demo of the scaling of these low-quality sources.

However, I can get a 65-inch C1 these days for $1700 vs. $2500 for C2 and $3000 for the 65-inch Samsung QD-OLED and $4000 for the Sony QD-OLED.

If this were my forever TV or I could expect at least 10 years of use, I'd pay for the Sony. But QD-OLED is a first-gen tech and I don't watch enough high-quality sources, at least not yet.

That's pretty much where I'm at too. For the next 6 year span, I'd rather take today's LG with another update in 3 years than staying with the first year Sony QD-Oled. I'm still put off by Sony's lack of feature support compared to LG's.

I wonder why Samsung didn't simply have "cheat mode" toggle. So most people can enjoy cheated picture, while few people that prefer to a more honest picture can disable the cheat mode.

LG have it with dynamic tone mapping toggle.

Edit : then again, their Android devices also didn't have cheat mode toggle. So maybe it's Samsung company cukturet

I wonder why Samsung didn't simply have "cheat mode" toggle. So most people can enjoy cheated picture, while few people that prefer to a more honest picture can disable the cheat mode.

How are Samsung's TV UI's currently? I've seen some egregious images of their UI with massive ads on stretches of the screen. I just can't imagine enjoying that experience for a device I dropped a wad of cash on.

How are Samsung's TV UI's currently? I've seen some egregious images of their UI with massive ads on stretches of the screen. I just can't imagine enjoying that experience for a device I dropped a wad of cash on.

Dunno nowadays. I only have lg and TCL TV. Last time I saw it, it does have larger ads space than lg tho. And lg ads can be kinda disabled by disabling ads ID then choosing different TV region than my real region

And lg ads can be kinda disabled by disabling ads ID then choosing different TV region than my real region
In the UK my LG C9 has no ads. I know that if - push comes to shove - I can insert a Pi-Hole or other DNS/IP ad-negating layer between the TV and router but I just don't want to have to deal with that. Samsung are such utterly untrustworthy tricksy bastards and I wouldn't put it put them to flush their firmware with hard IP addresses and rotate in news one constantly because you can literally automate that.

Not seeing ads on my LG in the US either.

But not using built in apps too much, have both an Apple TV 4K and a Chromecast with Android TV connected to it.

In the UK my LG C9 has no ads. I know that if - push comes to shove - I can insert a Pi-Hole or other DNS/IP ad-negating layer between the TV and router but I just don't want to have to deal with that. Samsung are such utterly untrustworthy tricksy bastards and I wouldn't put it put them to flush their firmware with hard IP addresses and rotate in news one constantly because you can literally automate that.

that makes me remember that xiaomi phones have less ads and less tracking if the region is set to UK (or most EU countries).

anyway, according to hdtvtest guy (vince tea? i keep forgetting his name), the Samsung auto calibrator detection thingy may also be on Samsung LCD TVs. But calibrators misattributed those as the characteristics of LCD.

Samsung auto calibrator detection thingy may also be on Samsung LCD TVs. But calibrators misattributed those as the characteristics of LCD.

Do NOT run that on the Samsung QD-Oled. Owners have reported it entirely ruined their sets. There is no way of resetting. They have had to return their sets for an entirely new one. Samsung really hosed up something in their "smart calibration" function on these new sets.

Do NOT run that on the Samsung QD-Oled. Owners have reported it entirely ruined their sets. There is no way of resetting. They have had to return their sets for an entirely new one. Samsung really hosed up something in their "smart calibration" function on these new sets.
That’s mad. Even after a full factory reset?

That’s mad. Even after a full factory reset?

Correct. To use a term from the movie Snatch, "proper fucked". It's listed in the second post in big red letters too @ https://www.avsforum.com/threads/samsung-4k-s95b-qd-oled-owners-thread-no-price-talk.3240720/

DO NOT USE THE SMART CALIBRATION FEATURE
There is currently an issue affecting Samsung 2022 series TVs that is causing the screen to not display correctly after and the only solution is to return the TV for another unit.

So basically Samsung forces "showroom" settings which causes highlights to clip and increase contrast to seem more vibrant? I can understand the desire to stand out in the showroom but this is definitely against the whole point, namely color accuracy and displaying content as intended.

Yup, I'm just glad that LG still allows you to disable the showroom vibrancy setting on their OLED TVs even though they still have it enabled by default. I hope they don't decide to follow in Samsung's footsteps.

Regards,
SB

Back