Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
And lg oled are ridiculously thin (why? Isn't thicker = able to add better cooling =longer oled subpixels life span = less ABL needed?). So it's impossible to stack anything above the TV.
1st world problems...

OLED is great but still not perfect.

Definitely not perfect, but it's still a lot lot better than the best LCDs in everything except potential burn-in. Still no hint of burn-in (or more correction burn-out) on my set. Will be interesting to see when it appears. I'll be quite happy if there's no perceptable burn-out by year 4 or 5. Whenever it gets noticeable at PC distances, I'll likely just move it into the living room for use there.

Regards,
SB

Personally if the picture quality of my Q9FN was the same in game mode as it is outside of it, I would prefer it over my CX in most usage scenarios. The CX can't touch it in bright HDR-scenes, just today I did comparison with this clip on my sets.
(Matrix Resurrections)

And I wouldn't have hard time choosing which screen I'd use to see it.
Don't get me wrong I very much like the CX and for gaming it's the one I use, but even there I do miss the power of the backlight of my other set.

Are there any rumors about what improvements might be on the table for 2022 Model Year sets?

Personally if the picture quality of my Q9FN was the same in game mode as it is outside of it, I would prefer it over my CX in most usage scenarios. The CX can't touch it in bright HDR-scenes, just today I did comparison with this clip on my sets.
(Matrix Resurrections)

And I wouldn't have hard time choosing which screen I'd use to see it.
Don't get me wrong I very much like the CX and for gaming it's the one I use, but even there I do miss the power of the backlight of my other set.

Sure, I totally get that this is a thing for some people. Otherwise there'd be no reason to get anything other than an OLED set.

But as I mentioned, for me, anything brighter than my LG OLED would be completely useless as I don't have it anywhere close to max brightness. And even at my settings, in a dark or dimly lit room, HDR can still be blindingly bright to me, enough that I have to squint my eyes to view some content.

Obviously if you do most of your media viewing or gaming in a brightly lit room, then higher brightness might be useable (as in your case), so yeah. Not perfect.

But again, for me, even if it was too dim, I still wouldn't go back to any LCD in existence just due to the rubbish blacks and loss of detail when there's motion (especially fast motion) in movies, TVs or games.

Since I have a LCD and OLED side by side in my PC setup it's really easy to see just how much loss of detail there is in really dark scenes or fast motion video (or games) by just replaying those things side by side.

And again, different people have different tolerances for different things. Thus, there will never be a "thing" (TV or other) that appeals to everyone in the same way. :) So yeah, I get why many people still debate whether they should get an OLED or LCD.

Regards,
SB

And again, different people have different tolerances for different things. Thus, there will never be a "thing" (TV or other) that appeals to everyone in the same way. :) So yeah, I get why many people still debate whether they should get an OLED or LCD.

Seems mini led kinda make lcd really close to the oled quality without the oled downsides.

At least from the review of Apple mini led devices.

And lg oled are ridiculously thin (why? Isn't thicker = able to add better cooling =longer oled subpixels life span = less ABL needed?). So it's impossible to stack anything above the TV.

Fortunately I still can hang my ps4 camera on it...

The wall mounted G1 is thicker. Using some extension/telescope arm for a cam and glueing it behind the back shouldn't be an insolvable problem.

But again, for me, even if it was too dim, I still wouldn't go back to any LCD in existence just due to the rubbish blacks and loss of detail when there's motion (especially fast motion) in movies, TVs or games.

Since I have a LCD and OLED side by side in my PC setup it's really easy to see just how much loss of detail there is in really dark scenes or fast motion video (or games) by just replaying those things side by side.

I must be the luckiest manduck alive since my LCD has awesome black levels :cool:

Since we are on the subject of glasses (totally my fault) whats everyones opinion of those gaming glasses ?

any TLDW? the video is too long and it was full of ramblings

He does mention that it have "a prescription" type of lenses that change perspective of things. But what the heck did he mean?

Does it make things sharper? Make things blurrier? Make things larger? Why not place the glasses in front of the camera lense (with fixed focus set) to show the effect to some extent to the viewer?

anyway.
not sure if it have blue light filter... but for those glasses with blue light filter.. then why not just simply reduced the blue in display setting? or set the color to be warmer?

as for glasses that makes things darker... why not reduce the display backlight brightness?

The lenses have a 0.25x magnification also lenses have a sweet spot its normally about 62mm which is typical ipd (pupil distance) these have an ipd of 53mm drawing you pupils toward the centre (got that from another video)

The lenses have a 0.25x magnification also lenses have a sweet spot its normally about 62mm which is typical ipd (pupil distance) these have an ipd of 53mm drawing you pupils toward the centre (got that from another video)

that probably would be nauseating for me. At least with VR headset with incorrect IPD and incorrect scaling. Although with magnification that small, maybe its just the ipd that will be nauseating. lets spin this into a new thread?

Are there any rumors about what improvements might be on the table for 2022 Model Year sets?

There's talk about Samsung coming out with QD-OLED and selling some panels to Sony and others.

Not clear how it will compare with WOLED panels from LG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back