Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2022]

Any OLED TV is going to be better than that, no questions asked. What are your main concerns?

If anything buy a less expensive OLED TV now and replace it a few years down the line instead of holding on to it for a decade. That way you get newer features as they come and much better image quality over time while not spending more.

I don't want to contribute to the landfill more frequently than necessary. Same with my AVR.

Money is a much lesser issue.

Well if he doesn’t even have a ps5 then a plasma is mighty fine for last gen.

I want to watch the limited 4K content that's available. My plasma turns off every few hours. Can turn it right back on but it's a matter of time before it's probably not recoverable without major repair. I don't even know if the right parts would still be available.

I don't want to contribute to the landfill more frequently than necessary. Same with my AVR.
Money is a much lesser issue.

If money isn't an issue why are you waiting to upgrade from that 10 year old plasma? It sounds like it is going to the landfill in the not so distant future either way.

You also don't have to throw things out just because you buy something new to replace it. The second hand economy is large and you could sell it easily 2 or 3 years from now.

PITA to have people come to your home and take a large screen TV.

I'm mostly watching cable or at best 1080p sources in the living room TV.

I have OLED in the bedroom and have watched some 4K and 4K HDR streams on that.

Like I said, I'll wait around June to see if this year's models are better. I have a Best Buy Total Tech membership which runs til then. I got it for cheaper wall mounting and delivery as well as cheap disposal of old TVs.

PITA to have people come to your home and take a large screen TV.

I have a Best Buy Total Tech membership which runs til then. I got it for cheaper wall mounting and delivery as well as cheap disposal of old TVs.

If you acquire your new TV from BestBuy, they usually offer or include Haul-Away service for your old TV Set even without their Total Tech membership. I used it when the parents picked up the TCL 65" LCD in 2018 and they hauled away the huge RearProjection RCA 4:3 1080p set. It was included free, but even if they charged the $30 fee, it would have been well worth it.

Does your local township not have some kind of electronics recycling program?

i wonder if it fixed the color bleeds on yellow on WOLED. As QDOLED use inherently different way to display colors.

i wonder if it fixed the color bleeds on yellow on WOLED. As QDOLED use inherently different way to display colors.
According to the few people who tested it, it produces the purest colour they've ever seen, matching or exceeding even the legendary $30k mastering reference monitor from Sony. I always assumed the colour bleed way due to the weird WRGB pixel structure LG uses, I don't see how it could happen with a true RGB panel but you never know!

As I understood it the display doesn't need a colour filter in front of the panel, which is part of the reason it is brighter and have more "pure" colours.

Quantum dots are still color filters I thought. They’re just more precise and pass through more “pure” colors with less brightness loss.

Quantum dots are still color filters I thought. They’re just more precise and pass through more “pure” colors with less brightness loss.
Technically they're colour converters - a filter will stop a great deal of luminance, hence why OLEDs are not as bright as they could be. QD are way more efficient so they stop very little light if at all.

There is just too much choice with TVs, so I got all flustered and bought a Gigabyte M2 4K 32" monitor instead (supports 4K@120Hz with DP1.4, HDMI2.1 and has KVM support which is nice). Now I have the 6900XT PC and the PS5 hooked up to that. So far I am really liking the output.

I just upgraded to a lg 65 c1 from my old lg B7. Out of the box picture is phenomenal. The grayscale needed two ticks up from green to match d65k. My B7 needed a lot more work for calibration and even then still suffers from green tint in mid tones and a red push in dark colors. Yellow actually tracks with proper luminance in hdr on the c1 whereas it severely under tracks on the B7. The motion is a huge improvement too.

Overall extremely pleased with the incremental upgrades. It’s like the B7 with all its shortcomings perfected. I was using an hdfury linker to push 1100nit metadata to the B7 for better eotf tracking in hdr. But the c1 has hgig for games, so the eotf tracks extremely well. Highly recommended upgrade

I'm kind of puzzled and disappointed by the fact that black is not black but just a really dark grey. It's an OLED TV so, it's strange that the panel can't completely turn off the OLEDs to have true black.

That said, the color quality sounds amazing. I wonder if the eventual Samsung sets will also have dark greys instead of blacks?

Perhaps Samsung's OLED tech needs to keep some power going to the OLEDs because they are slower to "turn on" than LG's OLEDs? So, maybe that's something they have to do in order to have fast pixel response for the panels?

Curious. Or maybe it's just some oddity with pre-production sets?

Regards,
SB

Technically they're colour converters - a filter will stop a great deal of luminance, hence why OLEDs are not as bright as they could be. QD are way more efficient so they stop very little light if at all.
Yup, they fundamentally change the wavelength of the light spectrum. There is little elsewhere to go to improve colour reproduction.

I'm kind of puzzled and disappointed by the fact that black is not black but just a really dark grey. It's an OLED TV so, it's strange that the panel can't completely turn off the OLEDs to have true black.

That said, the color quality sounds amazing. I wonder if the eventual Samsung sets will also have dark greys instead of blacks?

Perhaps Samsung's OLED tech needs to keep some power going to the OLEDs because they are slower to "turn on" than LG's OLEDs? So, maybe that's something they have to do in order to have fast pixel response for the panels?

Curious. Or maybe it's just some oddity with pre-production sets?

Regards,
SB
That’s not what he said. When the TV is off, the screen isn’t pitch black like some other TVs. But the pixels are off and it’s black.

That’s not what he said. When the TV is off, the screen isn’t pitch black like some other TVs. But the pixels are off and it’s black.

That's just as bad. If, when it's off, it's just dark gray, that's as black as it's ever going to get. Which means that blacks are always going to be just a dark gray. It's a bit odd.

From the article...

While it was difficult to capture on camera, it is worth mentioning that the TV’s screen is not jet black. Rather it appears very dark gray — similar to the appearance to the plasma TV screens of yore. I’m tempted to suggest this isn’t something most folks would notice, except I did notice it. Granted, however, I probably only noticed it because the A95K was sitting right next to a Sony A80K W-OLED TV, which does have a jet-black screen.

Of course, if there's a lot of colors being displayed it's likely not going to be noticeable, but in really dark scenes (or a black desktop background like I have on PC), that's going to be noticeable. Especially if you have an LG OLED (like I do).

Now that said, the wider and more accurate color gamut is likely worth it, but it's still a shame.

Regards,
SB

Well the pitch black look of some TVs is due to the filters used to sap all the light out of the pixels that you need to see. Also very important: in a dark room the TV would be pitch black. It wouldn’t glow. So yes, black levels will be as black as OLED.

Back