Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This still pleasantly surprises me. Watching Netflix in the evening, turning off the TV, then turning it on the following evening and Netflix pops up almost immediately and is ready to go. Likewise switching between Netflix, Prime, YouTube is so quick.

If you add TV channels as Quick Access items you can. :yep2:

Ah I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

Does the current lg software allows you to switch to new active input with just one button press?

I mean

1. Watch Netflix
2. Turn on PS4
3. New device detected icon pop up
4. Press OK
5. Instantly switched to PS4

Old version of webos, I think webos 2, was able to do that. But lg removed that feature. I wonder if they add that feature back. I think, it's now webos 3.x?

Isn't that just a HDMI CEC option? If I turn on my switch the TV automatically switches to that output. My 8 year old LG worked the same.

Isn't that just a HDMI CEC option? If I turn on my switch the TV automatically switches to that output. My 8 year old LG worked the same.

Hdmi CEC, as you said, will automatically switch to PS4. But what I meant was to not automatically switch. It showed a pop up where you can switch by pressing OK or stay in current app by pressing back.

I wonder how much of the Palm legacy lives on in the newest versions of WebOS.
I had a lot of personal PDA devices, starting with Psion Series 5 and 5MX, HP iPaq and Jornada 720 Handheld PC and a fair few Palm devices, including the TT and TX and I loved those things. The immediacy of webOS reminds me a lot of those low-powered PDAs that were nonetheless super responsive. :yes:

Hdmi CEC, as you said, will automatically switch to PS4. But what I meant was to not automatically switch. It showed a pop up where you can switch by pressing OK or stay in current app by pressing back.

There is definitely a setting for this. I have my Switch set to use CEC so when I turn it on the LG switches automatically. I've disabled CEC on PS4 though so when you turn on the PS4, the LG prompts you that a new HDMI signal has been detected and let's you switch to it with one button press.

On LCDs you cannot control this problem!

xiM9d.jpg
I've had one in my 32" 4k since about a month after I brought it, I've become quite attached to it TBH.
mosquito.jpg

I still need to calibrate it with my colorimeter and DisplayCAL but damn it’s a massive improvement over my 11 year old LG 42” IPS TV.

Don’t sweat over whether you should get the C9 or B9 if your TV is that old. The improvement in picture quality is just awesome as is the sound quality.

Upscaling the Nintendo Switch is surprisingly good looking.

I have the TCL 55R615 which is 60Hz native, but supposedly it has a 120Hz interpolation mode? Does anyone know if this on all the time or can be turned on/off? How will this work with Halo Infinite or other games in 120Hz mode?

Tommy McClain

I have the TCL 55R615 which is 60Hz native, but supposedly it has a 120Hz interpolation mode? Does anyone know if this on all the time or can be turned on/off? How will this work with Halo Infinite or other games in 120Hz mode?

Tommy McClain

There should be an option to turn it off.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-2018

Motion interpolation is a new feature on the TCL R617, and it can be enabled by going to the Advanced Picture Settings menu, and setting Action Smoothing to either Off, Low, Medium, or High.

That's for the 617, but the 615 may have a similar or same option.

Regards,
SB

Initial reviews of the 2020 TCL 6 series are out. CNET, ARS, Youtube HDTVTest.

Seems the "reviews" are just based on the spec sheet and maybe a few questions/ answers from TCL. Hard to say exactly.

HDMI 2.1? Maybe, but no 4k HDR 120 despite the panel being 120. Far fewer dimming zones than I expected.

No word yet, that I can find, on whether local dimming gets shut down for gaming.

Anyone know whether I can force a non-gaming low latency mode and keep the local dimming on existing models? This could be a serious detriment for me.

Links

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...s-roku-tvs-move-up-to-mini-leds-start-at-650/

https://www.cnet.com/news/tcl-6-ser...lable-now-with-mini-led-120hz-and-thx-gaming/

Thanks! I believe the only difference between the 615 & 617 is the remote. I have those settings on mine, just didn't know that what it was. Evidently it's disabled while in Game Mode.

Tommy McClain

As a TCl 6 series owner, It gives the "soap opera effect". Annoying enough I had to find a way to turn it off. I believe it was default on when watching videos etc for me.

Also once my settings got scrambled an motion interpolation was turned on and game mode off. Destiny multiplayer was completely unplayable that way. First time I was convinced I personally can tell the difference when in game mode! I definitely could. Game mode is not just a placebo.

In other news since i got my 6 series a couple years ago I kinda dropped out of keeping up with TV's. I recently randomly saw early reviews of the Hisense H9F 2020 are dropping. Seems pretty good, I suppose it has QLED like tech, 1000 nits of brightness (one reviewer even measured it at 1300-1400, well above advertised). Good contrast/local dimming. $950 for the 65" model. It seems like it's probably the new TCL for value, but 950 is still a lot for incremental improvements, and i have no idea where it stands on the hdmi 2.1 front.

I feel like there's not really enough to get me to upgrade, probably. Maybe if there's something that hammers all fronts including this HDMI 2.1 business, 120 hz etc, for 65" for like $600...

Disappointingly it seems Rtings has begun charging for "early access" to their Tv measurements.

I learnt from a comment on this video:

That it is possible to get Freesync on a B9/C9.

Rust said:
LG C9/B9 owners with an AMD GPU if you want to use freesync with hdr 10 and Dolby vision download an app called "Custom Resolution Utility" and force freesync support by adding it to the data block enjoy.

edit the freesync value should be 40-120hz

In this video Vincent says that to enable Freesync, Dolby Vision has to be sacrificed. Perhaps this explains why B9/C9 don't have official Freesync support from LG.

I still don't understand why AMD does not support HDMI VRR from discrete GPUs. It was promised years ago. Consoles can do it, so why not PC?

I'm planning to get a 48" CX as a replacement desktop monitor. In this scenario it will be for PC desktop/gaming only. So Dolby Vision is of no interest to me there. The C9 in my dedicated room is for films and TV, though I could be tempted by a PS5....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back