Anybody with GTA IV problems?

I've noticed my PS3 never shuts down properly when I've been playing GTA. It always beep-beep-beep's at me before shutting down similar to how it does if you force it to powerdown if a game has frozen.

At least this time Rockstar have the chance to fix all these bugs in their code unlike previous generations.

Ditto. Every time I quit from in the game, using the PS button, it restarts the system instead of going to the XMB.

Well reading this thread just guaranteed I wont be buying this game. <15fps? Ridiculous for this gen IMO. The framerate in # 3 was also horrible and I was hoping they would have fixed that but I guess not. From the screen shots the graphics don't even look that great either. I'm still going to rent it but given the performance and all the bugs I'm probably just going to wait till the PC ver. b4 I give it a real try.

Full format doesn't cut it either. Takes about 4 hours to, for the 60GB, so I hope I saved someone some time there. :LOL:

Something interesting I noted though. Sometimes when the game freezes (at the intro) if I shutdown the PS3 from the front button (holding it down), and then bring it back up, it will launch straight into GTA like Autoplay is on. :???:

Still no issues on my PS3, European 60GB machine... however it was upgraded to 250GB so it´s not the same HD anymore.

Gradthrawn, the issue is officially acknowledged. Hopefully you'll get to play your GTA4 soon: http://kotaku.com/5007491/scea-responds-to-ps3-gta-iv-issues

That's good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

Backed Up my data using the built-in utility (bravo to SCE for including that)

Bravo to SCE for including that, shame on them for not including a verify backup integrity utility as well. Error 800283E7, backup cannot be restored. :devilish: That error produces exactly 1 hit in Google and SCEA's knowledge base produces nothing. Tried numerous methods to restore the data, none suceeded. Always failed around 25%.

Thankfully, a very quiet little voice in the back of my head told me to manually backup my game saves after I did the full backup and before I formatted. Unfortunately, I chocked the voice up to paranoia and didn't back up all my game saves, just the ones I couldn't bare to lose.

What a pain in the ass this ordeal has been. But its been pretty much self induced, so I can't complain much. :LOL:

Also learned a heck of a hard lesson about dealing with FAT32 drives and Vista.

Oh well, many lessons learned. And at least I have 47GB of free space now, and I've been meaning to re-rip all of the music I had saved as AAC anyway. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
They are reporting on G4TV tonight that PS3 users are having problems logging into the multiplayer aspects of the game. Getting a text message on the in-game cell phone telling them to try again later. Anyone here experience that?

I got in (on first try) after reading your post. You might want to try again ;-)

EDIT: Is this a new development or G4TV reporting on GTA4 launch news ?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is and has been plenty of issues with multiplayer, at least in Denmark, Europe. 2 friends from work never got online, yet, one guy did but the next night he couldn´t last night was the first time i couldn´t connect to the "game provider".

Sucky? oh yes! Expected? i guess, someone forgot to buy servers :)

That's good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

Apparently, R* suggested the following fix for PS3: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6190279.html. Xbox 360 one to be revealed later.

1) Delete the game's install data. This is done via the PS3 options. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Game Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA IV option. Highlight this and press triangle once, from the menu select Delete. This will delete the game's install information.

2) Delete the game's save files. To delete any save files you will need to do the following. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Save Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA IV option. Highlight this and press triangle once, and from the context menu select Delete.

3) Disable your Internet connectivity for the PS3. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Settings' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Network Settings'. Now scroll down to the Internet connection option and press x, now select the disable option. Once this has been done unplug the ethernet cable if you are connecting to the Internet if using this.

4) Disable the console's information board. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Information Board', highlight this and press triangle. From the menu select 'Do not display' Press X to confirm this.

5) Disable Media Server functionality. Scroll to Settings, now scroll up / down to 'Network Settings' select Media Server connection. Once this has been done press triangle and change the option Disabled.

6) Delete all of the system's Internet cache. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Internet Browser', highlight this and press X. Once you browser opens press the triangle button once, from the new menu highlight the 'Tools' option and press X. Scroll down the menu until you reach 'Delete Cookies' and press X. Confirm the files deletion. Repeat this for 'Delete Cache'.

7 ) Turn off the PS3 screen saver. Use the cross media bar to scroll to 'Settings', select 'Display Settings'. Now highlight 'Screensaver' and set this to 'Do not use'.

8 ) Once this has been done, manually restart you PS3 by holding down the power button for 5 seconds it will beep once and then shut down. Release the power button and re-press it and hold for about 5 seconds. The system will then boot and reset all display settings. You will be prompted to reset your display settings to how you require them.

9) Once restarted please try the game again, you will be prompted to reinstall.

Once the game has started please turn off the following features:

1) The game's auto-save. Press Start, Game, and locate the Auto-save option. Turn this off.

2) Turn off the game's flicker filter. Press Start, Display and locate the Flicker Filter option. Turn this off.

3) Turn off the controller vibration feature. Press Start, Controls and locate the vibration option. Turn this off.

If that doesn't solve the problem, Take-Two allows tech support users to reopen their cases within seven days.

What a palaver.

How about R* just fix the broken game with a much needed patch instead.

I wonder if that flicker filter is the blur though. Will have to turn it off later see what it looks like without it. Didn't know you could turn it off.

How do you turn off the blur filter ?

You can turn off the flicker filter, whatever that is. I don't think that's the same thing. Just go into the video settings for the game and you'll see the flicker filter listed. Not sure if it's on the 360 or not, but I saw it on my bros PS3 yesterday. Didn't play around with it.

I made the link between flicker filter and blur filter. I haven't tried it out but it seems like they might be related.

I'm in the UK but I am only going by what R* have said, I haven't really been through the options, but I will check later.

Back